• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Year's Sprite Edit Competition! [NYE THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
    Presenting the results here~

We actually had a tie for first and second~

1st: Anastasia R. / Bluerang
    2nd: Logiedan / aragornbird
    3rd: Scarf

Congratulations!

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Congrats to the winners, but how were the sprites judged? Because Bluerang's entry doesn't look like a first place quality sprite (no offense). Just compare it to all the other winners and even some of the non-winning entries submitted.
    I'm sure others are wondering the same thing. I'm just the first to say it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's a bit odd nothing was mentioned about accepting sprites that had been auto-resized but I'd be interested in hearing the judges opinions on the contest entries regardless.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    o_O I won something. *is speechless* Thank you! Thank you so much! And congrats to the other winner and participators :)

Edit: At those who are sceptical about my entry winning, I was quite suprised as well. However, maybe it's because I simply edited one sprite, and not a Pokemon sprited at that, and also that I went with the general theme/idea of New Year(2011). :)

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years

Congrats to the winners, but how were the sprites judged? Because Bluerang's entry doesn't look like a first place quality sprite (no offense). Just compare it to all the other winners and even some of the non-winning entries submitted.

Well, I'll reveal the secret judging plans.
    Me and Sammyskitty would give each sprite a score out of ten in three categories: Uniqueness, Creativeness and Neatness. Then all the scores would be added together to get the final score. And the sprites with the highest scores win. I think the judging method was fair.

Bluerang's entry wasn't that neat, though it was quite creative and unique, so it won. It was unique because it was one of the few trainer sprites, and creative because it was one of the few New Year themed sprites.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023

those tildes and stars. Man that reminds me of the past.
    Bluerang's entry wasn't that neat, though it was quite creative and unique, so it won. It was unique because it was one of the few trainer sprites, and creative because it was one of the few New Year themed sprites.
    It's also one of the worst sprites I've ever seen in my life. Your other choices were fine, and congratulations to those winners, because you deserve it, but Bluerang's entry was horrible. It's a competition - don't be afraid to be honest. Heck, you're not doing him any favours by awarding him for bad work.

Bluerang, one thing you should know about pixel art is to never auto-resize anything, and resizing manually is a bad idea in itself unless you do so in increments of 100.

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    It's also one of the worst sprites I've ever seen in my life. Your other choices were fine, and congratulations to those winners, because you deserve it, but Bluerang's entry was horrible. It's a competition - don't be afraid to be honest. Heck, you're not doing him any favours by awarding him for bad work.
    Listen, who came what place wasn't totally up to me. Sammy helped with the judging as well. We both awarded the sprites points, which were added up. So, if it was a bad sprite, Sammy would have given it a low score as well, which would mean it would have came near last place. Anyway, we should stop arguing about whether Bluerang's entry is good now. It came first, so that's that. No need to argue anymore.

Also, auto resized? I never knew Bluerang's entry was auto resized.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I don't know what auto-resize is but yes, I made the image bigger. My bad if it's against the rules. But yeah, let's drop it, let me be happy winning something for once :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Also, auto resized? I never knew Bluerang's entry was auto resized.

It looks blurry, and isn't the original size of that original Touko sprite from BW.

If you zoom in by about three times or so it becomes much easier to see if a sprite has been auto-resized, enlarged by a computer program or whatever you want to call it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back