• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I've stopped. Up until Diamond I always did, but I didn't name a thing in my Platinum run.

Kinoko_Otoko

Mutant Jumpluff
    Years
  • Creativity, even with something as simple as a nickname for a Pokemon, is like anything else: it takes effort and becomes easier with practice. Let me tell you about a challenge I had... The game Phantasy Star Online is a dungeon crawl hack-n-slash which is basically all about leveling up and getting loot. But it had a weird system whereby your character's name determined the loot tables for dungeons forever. So half the names I thought of would yield loot tables I didn't like for that character. I spent at least two or three hours on names for characters in that game... It gave me some of my most treasured names; names I use for my characters in most games now. Names I can google and get 0 results because they're unique.

I figured out a method of building names piece by piece, just taking syllables that I liked and stringing them together until I had something interesting and pleasing to the ear. It was rewarding, but brain-wracking.

Another way to get interesting names is to use random name generators. Seventh Sanctum is a website with tons of name generators; it's worth checking out. I would post a link to it but I can't because I'm new to the forums... Easy enough to google though.

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    I always name everything I catch. Heck, I've already come up with the names that I'm going to give to any of the Gen V's that I catch :D

I enjoy giving my PKMN names; I guess it makes the adventure more fun if my team is my team rather than my army, and giving them personality is very important in doing that.

I don't really have a particular formula on naming; I just try to name them something that fits them, be it cool or goofy.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
  • I think giving Pokemon nicknames makes it more personal and gives you more attachment to them. I only nickname the ones that I keep on my team though ^_^;

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    I hate nicknames. I never ever nickname, and I don't typically accept trades if they have a nickname.

There is only one nickname that I approve on my game, and as a matter of fact, for the entire time I've played Pokemon. It's my LVL 100 shiny Magikarp, nicknamed Goldy.

Kinoko_Otoko

Mutant Jumpluff
    Years
  • It's great that you hate nicknames, Benjina, but are you going to tell us why? Get some psychoanalysis going. I'm always curious to know why someone's mind works differently than mine.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I only name my main party Pokemon, and I typically choose generic boy/girl names for them and I'm not quite sure why I don't get more creative with nicknames.

It's just something I do to try to get myself more attached to my Pokemon in the game.

Years
  • I ALWAYS nickname my Pokemon. So far, there is no Pokemon I've owned that hasn't had a nickname. I usually nickname my Pokemon based off of their type, or species... Liiike... my Pidgeot was Pilot, Squirtle was Shelby (y'know... SHELby, because Squirtle wears a SHELL? :B). And sometimes I just give them random nicknames, or just make up a name that doesn't exist. x3 Like when I named my Altaria "Tasani". :P

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    Every single Pokemon I catch, It is nicknamed. But they all have random, odd names. It depends on my mood. Here's some examples

Giratina: Xae
    Dialga: Shereudia
    Crobat: Tashadele
    Heatran: Caedymius
    Rotom: Ha'luu
    Cresselia: Ena
    Froslass: Verina
    Drifblim: Anoxor
    Pelipper: Calkirso
    Machampt: Alaephe
    Dugtrio: Casienon
    Haunter: Calan
    Skarmory: Kudisu
    Luxray: Vessai
    Chatot: Decadieur (one of my faves)
    Clamperl: Eden
    Deoxys: Seleria
    Camerupts: Calvucio, Hited
    Blaziken: Vohelsa
    Seadra: Daedone
    Riolu: Kaleseba
    Heracross: Ssorcareha
    Swellow: Lerebiase
    Umbreon: Lantilane
    Marill: Loeshi
    Kecleons: Acba, Ceba,
    Feebai: Kaizaisa, Kaiphona, Kaisuki
    Sneasel: Anaizia
    Spiritomb: Desphaeris
    Happiny: Avonence
    Absol: Kaishira
    Pidgey: Verali
    Arbok: Leitaneri
    Jynx: Calae
    Bronzong: Sau Le
    Victreebel: Menalia

And I'm not even getting started ;)

Years
  • Every single Pokemon I catch, It is nicknamed. But they all have random, odd names. It depends on my mood. Here's some examples

Giratina: Xae
    Dialga: Shereudia
    Crobat: Tashadele
    Heatran: Caedymius
    Rotom: Ha'luu
    Cresselia: Ena
    Froslass: Verina
    Drifblim: Anoxor
    Pelipper: Calkirso
    Machampt: Alaephe
    Dugtrio: Casienon
    Haunter: Calan
    Skarmory: Kudisu
    Luxray: Vessai
    Chatot: Decadieur (one of my faves)
    Clamperl: Eden
    Deoxys: Seleria
    Camerupts: Calvucio, Hited
    Blaziken: Vohelsa
    Seadra: Daedone
    Riolu: Kaleseba
    Heracross: Ssorcareha
    Swellow: Lerebiase
    Umbreon: Lantilane
    Marill: Loeshi
    Kecleons: Acba, Ceba,
    Feebai: Kaizaisa, Kaiphona, Kaisuki
    Sneasel: Anaizia
    Spiritomb: Desphaeris
    Happiny: Avonence
    Absol: Kaishira
    Pidgey: Verali
    Arbok: Leitaneri
    Jynx: Calae
    Bronzong: Sau Le
    Victreebel: Menalia

And I'm not even getting started ;)

Wow, those really are some random names... xD
    But that's what I like about nicknaming Pokemon. You add your own personal touch to each one, and that makes them different. Instead of you having a Pikachu simply named Pikachu like everyone else. :/

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    And something I can hardly stand is not being able to nickname pokes I get in trades. That's stupid. i don't want DARKRAI in caps or JOLTEON

Years
  • And something I can hardly stand is not being able to nickname pokes I get in trades. That's stupid. i don't want DARKRAI in caps or JOLTEON

Wow, I thought I was the only one who hated that. @_@
    I hated how I would get Pokemon from trades in the older games like... FR/LG. Like the Farfetch'd named CH'DING. Tbh, I like the name, but when it's in all caps like that, it looks... ugly. =/

In White, I might have to breed the Monmen I get from trading so that it can have the nickname I want. :B

Blew

Blew Your Mind!
    Years
  • I don't nickname my Pokémon because I don't see the need and even if I did choose to give nicknames, the names I'd pick would most likely be lame/dumb anyway.

Shnappy

First-ever pants pokemon
    Years
  • I love nicknaming things. I think it adds a sense of ownership and personality.

I usually try to name things that are funny looking (in my opinion) funny things, serious pokemon serious names. But I usually use funny names. :b

On my Japanese Black, I plan to name my Pokemon after all of my best friends. (They all fit into the character limit, luckily.)

Kinoko_Otoko

Mutant Jumpluff
    Years
  • I always leave my Pokemon nicknames in all caps. Wild Pokemon and in-game trainer's Pokemon are always named in caps, so if mine aren't it creates an aesthetic dissonance that irritates me. I just recently stopped using all caps for my character names when I realized that none of the NPCs have their names in all caps in the newer games...

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I have nicknamed a few, but for the most part I let them keep their original names. I do put the names in lowercase, so instead of having "LEAFEON used RAZOR LEAF" you get "Leafeon used RAZOR LEAF". I can't stand all caps because it sounds like they're yelling at me. Not to mention, it makes the pokemon's name seem even more generic.

Years
  • I like nicknaming my Pokemon :P It gives my pokemon a different feel to the rest and I think they sound cool ^_^ For example; Blaze, Dusk, Rage, Flame, Inferno, Whirlwind, etc.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I go through phases with my nicknames.

Some I name people's names (from Internet lol), some get random names like Baboqua (umm, or something along those lines I named a Fearow in Yellow o_O;), some get competely... not relative names (like naming a Walrein "Firefly") and the rest, I dunno tbh. Now I don't think I nickname Pokemon as often, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back