• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo focusing on other titles beside mario this year. Good? Bad? The future?

Do you think no core mario in 2015 is a good thing?

• yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yukari

Gamefreak definitely should take more gambles, nintendo can afford a ton of resources to make a brand cult classic for people of all ages from gamefreak. I would like to see them do something like shovel knight in terms of a simple but good story and gameplay elements.
    I would like to point out here that Nintendo doesn't own gamefreak. You seem to be under the impression that they do.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I would like to point out here that Nintendo doesn't own gamefreak. You seem to be under the impression that they do.

I know they don't but they finance them anyway and practically own them, hence why they usually only make pokemon and only on nintendo consoles.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    i think it's a good thing for Nintendo to branch out from mario to try other series, especially series they haven't touched for a while. In fact, i heard from a Gamexplain video that not only is Nintendo bringing back star fox from the dustbin of forgotten IPs, but that Miyamoto dropped a few hints that they might be working on a new F-Zero game as well, so we might get a chance to show people our moves

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    i think it's a good thing for Nintendo to branch out from mario to try other series, especially series they haven't touched for a while. In fact, i heard from a Gamexplain video that not only is Nintendo bringing back star fox from the dustbin of forgotten IPs, but that Miyamoto dropped a few hints that they might be working on a new F-Zero game as well, so we might get a chance to show people our moves
    Yup, he said that in an interview in smosh games. It was a cool video, him and Bill trinten( marketing head and miyamoto's translators) were both on it. They played mario kart 8 with them as well. And at the end miyamoto gave each of them a brand new 3ds and signed it! Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untLD6z6aqI

I don't know how to imbedd them, sorry. Also a while back sakurai hinted F zero could be getting a new game when he revealed Captain Falcon.

Yukari

Yup, he said that in an interview in smosh games. It was a cool video, him and Bill trinten( marketing head and miyamoto's translators) were both on it. They played mario kart 8 with them as well. And at the end miyamoto gave each of them a brand new 3ds and signed it! Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untLD6z6aqI

I don't know how to imbedd them, sorry. Also a while back sakurai hinted F zero could be getting a new game when he revealed Captain Falcon.
    For anybody who wants an embedded video. Here you go.

Reactions: Z25

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Well, I think this is good news and bad news for Mario fans, since it will give Nintendo more time to come up with something big. Considering the fact that many of the Mario games for the past 4-5 years or so have simply been rehashes, it's obvious they need a break, especially given how big SSB4 was last year.

On the upside, at least a new Zelda is coming out along with the 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, as well as a new Star Fox game. As for the Pokemon franchise, other than the recent revealing of Hoopa, nothing has been heard on what the next game will be, whether we will get the third Kalos game or if it will just be smaller spin-off games this year, since 2016 IS going to be the 20th anniversary of the franchise, so it's possible that something big is planned for then.

Sad to say, not all news is good news, as Nintendo recently pulled out of the Brazilian market due to high import taxes. Sad day for Brazilian gamers indeed.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Just personally I think the Wii U needs a super impressive 3D Mario game. 3D World was a bit of a letdown in my books. Not to say it wasn't a good game, but to me it basically felt like 3D Land but in HD. The game just feels like a series of obstacle courses given the lack of a overworld/hubworld (well a good one at least) and the timer and flagpole goals as opposed to the mission style goals of previous 3D Mario games.

To me Mario games work best when it feels like what you're watching is a window to another world. So what I look for is a cohesive world that makes sense. To me that's the foundation to which Mario was based on. In the original game Super Mario Bros, the first cutscene in the game is between 1-1 and 1-2. 1-1 is a standard on the ground level and 1-2 is an underground level, so between the two levels there is a cutscene showing Mario enter a pipe to go underground, which obviously make sense as opposed to him just magically starting the next level underground. So with that in mind I just found it disappointing that in Mario 3D World you have a silly 3D overworld which despite being 3D is essentially linear and you can go from a mountain to a desert to a snow level all in a couple of levels from each other. Despite world being in the title, it didn't feel like a world at all, just a series of obstacle courses. They were fun and wonderfully looking obstacle courses, but the game failed to capture my imagination at least.

So I'm hoping for a real home run of a 3D Mario coming up for the Wii U, something more in line with Sunshine and the Galaxy series that makes use of the Wii U's impressive tech to where the gameworlds can be vast and intricate and just fun to hang out in and interact with. There's a lot of unexplored territory with the Wii U tech that they can do with the Mario series, and as much as I'd like to see that next great Mario game sooner rather than latter, hopefully this news means that they're taking extra care in ensuring the next installment will be a top of the line game. Sorry for the long post but I'm a big time Mario guy (I just started replaying Galaxy again, great game) so I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to the pudgy plumber.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Considering that they will release the different kind of Mario game (Mario Maker, for instance), I personally think they might be able to focus more on another franchise or even the new IP once for a while, so I think it's mostly a good thing.

LightBlast

I am fire. I am... death!
    Years
  • Well, series like Metroid or Star Fox could certainly need some focus unlike the Mario series. Year of Luigi was fun, though.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I do hope they do other year of's for other characters, but i don't think that he likely.

Back