• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo GameCube (2001) Discussion

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I had no problem with the discs being small. They were quite cute, actually! Many PS2 and Xbox games were being burned onto CDs and sold illegally on other countries at that time, so they've done this to most likely avoid piracy. I agree that the discs were easier to lose, but you would not lose them only if you took enough care of them. I used to have a lot of GameCube discs, and not a single one of them were lost. Haha.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    What did you guys think of the GameCube game discs being so small?

I mean, compared to a normal CD, it's.. pretty small. XD Did that make things easier, or was it more convenient to use?

Another silly anti-piracy measure by Nintendo which hurt them in the long run because the CDs were not only physically smaller but also held less data which meant a lot of the ported games had less content than the Xbox/PS2 versions. It was N64 all over again with the stupid choice of going with carts instead of CDs.

The new system with the Wii U is AP done right. The Nintendo discs for the Wii U are proprietary format but hold the same amount of data as a BD (or close).

Somehow I feel a lot of the people here posting great things about the Gamecube are looking at it through nostalgia-filled glasses... If it wasn't for the first-party games it would be known as the console that sank Nintendo into the mud... Because Nintendo repeated many of the mistakes they made with the N64.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Somehow I feel a lot of the people here posting great things about the Gamecube are looking at it through nostalgia-filled glasses.
    What the **** is this ********?

It's undeniable that the Gamecube was a commercial failure. (or was it? It was profitable, after all) However are we using that as an excuse to ignore the fact the console was very solidly designed and had some of the best games during that generation? No, that's just arrogance. The Gamecube has a huge following and there's a big reason for that. Using bad marketing and business decisions to downplay the console will get you nowhere and honestly, it's very un-profound. That's ignoring the "nostalgia" card you pulled out, too. lol

Do you consider the Dreamcast a ****** console for the same reasons? Because you'd be similarly wrong.

Back