• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No catching revived challenge

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2013
    I would like to revive the no catching challenge. Since the other threads are so old, I would like to start a new one. I just bought pokemon y, since I don't want to restart my completed pokemon x. That I will be using this gen doesn't mean other can't use other gens. In fact I encourage other gens, although I am not sure if you are able to follow the rules in every gen since I skipped 3 and 4 and dont remember 2 and 5 that well.

Basically the rules are going to be:
    - No catching (any pokemon you use most be received from a person, obtained from a fossil etc.)
    - No event pokemon (including torchic)
    - No store purchases, you can use the items you find, receive and buy from people on the street and in the power plant, the vending machine etc.
    - No trading pokemon

Optional rules:
    - You can sell received and found items an purchase items with that money
    - No using O-powers
    - No using pokemon centers (switching it with no store purchases)

Pokemon you get (known to me that is)
    Starter (chespin, froakie or fennekin)
    2nd starter (charmander, bulbasaur or squirtle)
    fossilized pokemon; jaw fossil (tyrunt) or the sail fossil (Amaura), and the old amber by re-entering the part with smashable rocks. Smash them over and over untill you get the old amber, leaving and re-entering when needed.
    Lucario (at the mega evolution event in the game)
    Lapras (from the worker standing right outside the connecting gate after you've just gotten surf and before you can hit the water).

So that's a team of 6, whom you can teach every neccessary HM, plus the team (if chosen correctly) can prety much beat any team due to its rich variety in types and attack options.

So I started my run with Fennekin
    I had an easy time leveling before the forest. In the forest I found 4 potions, 1 antidote and Shauna brought me paralyze heal. Not bad! I also got 1 poke ball from the rival and found another. Useless :(. But it is really easy to find healing items so the no store purchases rule really should not be that hard.

I chose Fennekin cause I would like a grass and fire type. I would choose charmander but since chespin is so horrible in my opinion, I chose fennekin. No water type since we get lapras. Gonna get tyrunt as well since Amaura's ice type is not needed with a lapras in the party.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2013
    So there we go! My I have gotten far before this thread was approved. I got to the third badge from Korrina now and have the ability to mega evolve my pokemon, jeeeeeeeeeeeej!

The first bagde
    Using Fennekin to beat the bug gym was challenging since Viola's first pokemon uses water sport :(. Luckily, the butterfly (god whats its name) is a pushover after that.

So I got the EXP share! Not that I could really use it yet, but I deed sweep the garden for usefull items and training. In Lumiose I lost to squirte, my lv14 fennekin could not stand up to the three kanto starters even when she started off fully healed. I guess not wanting to risk the use of items cause of that rule got to me here huh :(. But it's ok, you dont lose money nor do you black out, you just dont gain the exp. I chose bulbasaur as i mentioned before to join the team.

I sweep every new area for items, every rock where an item could be hidden gets a click from me. So I made my way through a tough couple of routes since I really dont like to use any item cause of my purchase rule. You kinda need to heal up, and I was glad to use the daycare center PC as a poke center replacement.

Glittering cave
    Before the 2nd gym, I went into the glitering cave. Dumb me never looked at the option of retreiving the old amber. So I had to go back after the third gym. now my aerodactyl is at lv 20 where venusaur is lv38

The 2nd gym badge
    So basically I went in with Ivysaur, Braixen and tyrunt. My pokemon where way to low level even though braixen and ivysaur where higher then Amaura and tyrunt. So I evolved Ivysaur and pushed on.

Tyrunt is a b-word to train in this team btw since it has low defence and my 2 other pokemon cant really deal with psychic or psychic/fairy easily. The reflection cave is a pain, use the healer in the middle of the cave often! That is my best advice since you want tyrunt in front and he dies easily at this stage.

The third badge and mega evolution!
    braixen evoled prior to the third gym into delphox, with her 2nd psychic move she sweeps this gym easily (if you heal before the leader)

We critted our mega lucario villain in 1 hit, and did not receive damage since we went first!
    When I tried to leave the city, Rival brought me the TM for surf. I stepped through the gate and added Lapras to the team. After some excruciating back tracking, I got the old amber and now have a team of 6! I failed to name tyrunt, but the nicks should make obvious which pokemon is which:

Bulbapedia: Lv 38
    Cut, Petal dance, rock smash, razor leaf (I hate to delete sleep powder, but had to)

Firefox: Lv 37
    psyshock, psybeam (why did I keep this?), flame charge, mystical fire

Tyrunt: lv 34
    dragon tail, ancient power, crunch, strength

Mohammed Ali: lv32
    power-up punch, swords dance, metal sound, bone rush

Cruiser: lv 30
    Water pulse, body slam, surf, perish song

F(okker) 27: Lv 20
    Bite, scary face, roar, agility

✎ BlueFoxCreations

Developing Pokémon Alibi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    I'd love to do this challenge, but do I have to use Pokémon X/Y since I haven't got them yet, but I can do other games. Could I use Light Platinum, the hack?

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2013
    Sure you could, I just dont know anything about that game since I skipped that gen. But feel free to use any other gen. When I finish, I would like to run other gens I skipped, perhaps this one.

So you do need to do your own research on which pokemon to use (ad which you actually can use) and if the item rule is gonna work for you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    no offence, but 95% of the stuff you said seems to apply only to X/Y.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2013
    no offence, but 95% of the stuff you said seems to apply only to X/Y.

I kinda did base my rules on this gen yes. but that doesnt mean that you cant use the no catching rule(the most important of them), the no store purchases rule etc. If you played a game and now wanna try a run like this, you'll know what rules you need to keep in mind and which rules don't apply. I think the game is hard enough with the no catching and no store purchases alone.

Anyway, update on my run:

the 4th badge
    So I didnt really train Aerodactyl. When a lombre almost finished off my Delpox, I still didnt feel like going back to heal, I gave it a soda pop and pushed on. Aerodactyl did grow to lv25 up to the gym leader, and I felt like putting it first to take out some of the first pokemon, to finish with Delphox. But Delphox never saw any of the leaders pokemon.

Aerodactyl on grass types with Aerodactylite is nuts, growing to lv 26 vs weepinbell and jumpluff (taking both out in 1 hit with fly mega evolved, outspeeding 5/6 levels). I even beat the 8 level higher Gogoat, but always left a piece of its HP. the leader healed it over and over, but the take downs could only chip some health away from Aerodactyl. So I easily took the 4th badge. on to the next one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2013
    the 5th badge:
    This was prety easy. I am kinda overlevelled I guess but not sure how this can be. In particular Lucario was effective here. His bone rush is the only thing I have against these electric types. Quizzing was fun!

The sixth badge
    I don't have anything on fairy's since venusaur doesnt know any poison moved that does damage. o I did some research and went back to route 6 and grabbed venoshock. I\m still overlevelled with a lv 45 venusaur and lv 46 Delphox (for the steel/fairy duo types) so this was an easy sweep.

The poké ball factory
    easy if you alternate between Delphox for the random golbats and Lucario for all the dark types. Wow, is team flare a mono dark team. My god I am so glad we get Lucario. The no catching run would get so much harder without him. Since this is turning out easier troughout the run, I might want to do a next run with a replacement for him. We actually kinda have a very diverse team that can sweep about anything, we have 13 different attack types!

Back