• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] No HM Leaf Green Rom Hack

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2018
    So the goal I have in mind is doing an edit to Pokemon Leaf Green so I do not need to use any HM's to complete the game. I learned how to use Advance Map Editor and thought I had made a successful edit. Wow was I wrong I made it to Viridian City and was trying to go to the next map north of it and the game freezes. I can make no other inputs and the bush event that I had deleted seems to turn into another sprite? I tried tinkering around fighting some pokemon and then trying to pass only to freeze on the same spot again. It seems like the deleted event will change into different sprites as I try to move to the next map. I'm not entirely sure why it is doing this, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I suppose my main question is are there odd side effects from deleting the HM required events off the map? Maybe something I can do differently to avoid this issue? I'm pretty sure I can edit all the map stuff without issues so I am going to go ahead and do that to a fresh rom while I await an answer.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    So the goal I have in mind is doing an edit to Pokemon Leaf Green so I do not need to use any HM's to complete the game. I learned how to use Advance Map Editor and thought I had made a successful edit. Wow was I wrong I made it to Viridian City and was trying to go to the next map north of it and the game freezes. I can make no other inputs and the bush event that I had deleted seems to turn into another sprite? I tried tinkering around fighting some pokemon and then trying to pass only to freeze on the same spot again. It seems like the deleted event will change into different sprites as I try to move to the next map. I'm not entirely sure why it is doing this, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I suppose my main question is are there odd side effects from deleting the HM required events off the map? Maybe something I can do differently to avoid this issue? I'm pretty sure I can edit all the map stuff without issues so I am going to go ahead and do that to a fresh rom while I await an answer.

First of all, there is literally no support for LeafGreen and thus no reason to hack it whatsoever.

Also, trees (aka bushes) are tiles not OW sprites so I'm not really sure what you mean without posting pics.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2018
    First of all, there is literally no support for LeafGreen and thus no reason to hack it whatsoever.

Also, trees (aka bushes) are tiles not OW sprites so I'm not really sure what you mean without posting pics.

I'm not sure what you mean by no support for LeafGreen the editors work on it so why wouldn't their be support?

The bush event that I had deleted in Viridian city next to the the grouchy old man that does the catching tutorial was turning into another sprite or object in the game as I tried to transtition to the next map. It would change into a player sprite sometimes, and sometimes some unrecognizable image.

When I say sprite I mean any of the sprite images in the game not just from the map editor stuff. I could be using the wrong term, but I hope that gets my point across.

The main question I was asking isn't even about the specific bush itself but rather if deleting the HM events (Bushes, Boulders, Cracked Rocks etc.) can cause game breaking effects that I was unaware of. Maybe map was the wrong tag to put on the post this might be more of a script related issue.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2018

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by no support for LeafGreen the editors work on it so why wouldn't there be? I guess maybe you are saying people don't edit that rom on here in which case I'm sure alot of the stuff overlaps so someone can still probably assist.

The bush I was talking about is the one in Viridian city next to the old man that does the capture tutorial. When I try to go past it onto the next map the bush event that is no longer there pops up as a random sprite in the game. I tried going by in different spots and such to see if it was a one time bug, but it seems to happen regardless and the sprite can change to it seems anything. I tried battling pokemon and such before going back and encountered the same problem the sprite can be changed from any direction of a trainer to unrecognizable images .

I didn't take screenshots but I do have a clip where it happened because I was testing the rom on a stream. if that helps you identify anything. Nevermind I can't link the clip until I have posted 5 times.

All that being said it's not really that bush in particular that I am worried about but rather deleting all the HM events (Bushes, Boulders, Cracked rocks) in the game as a whole. Maybe there is some kind of issue with doing such a thing I was unaware of? I just came asking assuming I had done some kind of taboo and someone could point me in the right direction to making a fix.

Back