• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'nother newb

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    Hey.

I'm not good at intros, so...

I'm IceFlame, been playing Pokemon on and off since Yellow version (at least, the first three gens, the 4th and 5th gens are terrible IMO), been in amateur game design for the greater part of 8 years, and now I'm joining PC for insight on a good way to create a Pokemon fangame and to get Pokemon community feedback on the game idea if I can get it up and running.
    I'm also of the opinion that Game Freak needs to learn how to make GOOD ice-type Pokemon, just thought I'd throw that out there.
    (spoiler box is sort of a rant x-x didn't want to seem like a troll right off the bat so I hid it for people who might not want to see it )
    Spoiler:

So there's my two cents ahead of time, hopefully I don't sound like a total moron xD;

Though, I feel a little stupid at the moment...I've looked all over this forum before signing up, trying to figure out for myself if I should go with a game engine or a ROM hack, and I'm still coming up short x-x
    Problem I have with this is, I'm not a programmer by any means; I'm ADHD and can't keep track of all the little nuances required in coding, and I have a terrible memory retention, so...coding + me = disaster xD;
    My biggest question is if there's a way for me to make a Pokemon game without getting too code-heavy. I know that sounds like a stupid question from a game development aspect (and it really is), but...all the same, just curious if there's a ROM hack or Pokemon engine somewhere out there that's pretty much "plug n play". I have the game pretty much written up, i just need to get it MADE.

That's pretty much the only reason I'm here, to get help on this project. It's not just some random fancy either; it's an idea that's been tugging at me for the last 4 years relentlessly.

I'm a little forum-stupid, so...if anyone knows where I should definitely go for assistance with this, help is much appreciated ^^; I get lost way too easily x-x

Yeah, I fail at intros....
    blarg.

...hi.

Post-script note: Lately I'm feeling dizzy and exhausted, so if I don't understand something someone says...I'm just...kinda out of it. Waiting for a diagnosis, but in the meantime, I'm pretty much a zombie.
    Thanks ahead of time for your patience ^^;

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Welcome IceFlame, I hope you enjoy your time around the boards!

I kind of agree with you about the post-Johto Pokemon, but I think each generation has its ups and downs :)

nickchaosking11

agent of the matrix.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2011
    Welcome to the community IceFlame1019(such an ironic name!)! how did you find this place anyway? well hope you stay active!
    -Nickchaosking11

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    thanks for the welcomes!

@nickchaosking
    I found it by chance. I was looking for freeware game development engines for Pokemon game creation, and one of Google's first picks on the search list was a poll topic here at PC regarding the benefits of ROM hacks versus game makers.

Er...
    I hate to bump but it's been several weeks; I've tried about three times to start a thread in the ROM section of the forum and...nothing.

Am I doing something wrong by asking whether ROM hacks or game dev engines are better for my given scenario? :S

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back