• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NRG Manipulation. The wave of the future

J. Bangle

BLAM GOONIE
    Years
    For the past few set's I've been confused and slightly miffed by PCl's tendency to create 'hard counters', or cards designed soley to stop a popular strategy. Looking at the last few sets (both in the US and in Japan), I've been amazed at the number of cards designed to nerf the staples of many good decks:

Battle Frontier EM
    Medicham ex UF
    Feraligator ex UF
    Cursed Stone LM
    Lunatone/Solrock LM
    Latios/Latias HP
    Pidgeot d HP
    WP NRG

Pokemon is a smart company, and I seriously doubt that they would create cards just to screw with the metagame. So that leaves one question, why? Why, instead of creating new and better combos does PCL release card after card in an attempt to shut down the popular poke-powers and decks?

I've come to the conclusion that PCL is trying to 'push' the general metagame in a certain direction. One type of card/strategy that I have seen grow increasingly popular have been those that manipulate energy.

Energy Manipulation Cards:
    Ampahros UF
    Meganium ex UF
    Holon's Magneton/Electrode DS
    Dragonite d DS
    Metagross d Ds
    Starmie d DS
    Gardevoir d Ds
    Holon WP, FF, GL DS
    Delcatty LM
    Huntail/Gorybyss LM
    Machamp/Gengar/Cradilly LM
    Flygon d HP
    Blastoise Ex RG
    etc...

Don't get me wrong, wise energy placement and manipulation have been an integral part of the Pokemon TCG since the early days, but the of cards that utilize/move/attach additional energy have increased exponentially within the last few sets. PCl is releasing card after card aimed at destroying many Poke-Power Filled decks, which have dominated the format for the past few years (rock-lock, dragtrode, Ludicargo, Nidoqueen, ZRE). Dragtrode and ZRE are exceptions, as they all focus heavily on energy manipulation, but are overall a small part of the current metagame. It's also true that in order to manipulate energy many pokemon need to use poke-powers, a dilemma I'm still trying to figure out.

I believe that we will be seeing many Dragtrode style deck in the future. Maybe not identical decks, but ones so synchronized that do not need a searcher like Pidgeot or Magcargo. Look at the newer decks (LBS, Mewtric) the ones that are winning tournaments. Many of utilize new trainesr as well as a great deal of energy manipulation.

I remeber the good old days when you didn't have to worry about someone attaching more than one nrg per turn. That was fun.

Any questions or comments would be appreicated, thanks.

Ignatious

Sannin of the Ryuu clan
    Years
    J. Bangle said:
    For the past few set's I've been confused and slightly miffed by PCl's tendency to create 'hard counters', or cards designed soley to stop a popular strategy. Looking at the last few sets (both in the US and in Japan), I've been amazed at the number of cards designed to nerf the staples of many good decks:

Battle Frontier EM
    Medicham ex UF
    Feraligator ex UF
    Cursed Stone LM
    Lunatone/Solrock LM
    Latios/Latias HP
    Pidgeot d HP
    WP NRG

Pokemon is a smart company, and I seriously doubt that they would create cards just to screw with the metagame. So that leaves one question, why? Why, instead of creating new and better combos does PCL release card after card in an attempt to shut down the popular poke-powers and decks?

I've come to the conclusion that PCL is trying to 'push' the general metagame in a certain direction. One type of card/strategy that I have seen grow increasingly popular have been those that manipulate energy.

Ampahros UF
    Meganium ex UF
    Dragonite d DS
    Metagross d Ds
    Starmie d DS
    Gardevoir d Ds
    Holon WP, FF, GL DS
    Delcatty LM
    Huntail/Gorybyss LM
    Flygon d HP
    Blastoise Ex RG
    etc...

Don't get me wrong, wise energy placement and manipulation have been an integral part of the Pokemon TCG since the early days, but the of cards that utilize/move/attach additional energy have increased exponentially within the last few sets. PCl is releasing card after card aimed at destroying many Poke-Power Filled decks, which have dominated the format for the past few years (rock-lock, dragtrode, Ludicargo, Nidoqueen, ZRE). Dragtrode and ZRE are exceptions, as they all focus heavily on energy manipulation, but are overall a small part of the current metagame. It's also true that in order to manipulate energy many pokemon need to use poke-powers, a dilemma I'm still trying to figure out.

I believe that we will be seeing many Dragtrode style deck in the future. Maybe not identical decks, but ones so synchronized that do not need a searcher like Pidgeot or Magcargo. Look at the newer decks (LBS, Mewtric) the ones that are winning tournaments. Many of utilize new trainesr as well as a great deal of energy manipulation.

I remeber the good old days when you didn't have to worry about someone attaching more than one nrg per turn. That was fun.

ive found out the hard way that Blastoise is better than any other card up there...

Typhlosion ex fans

Member pro
    Years
    J. Bangle said:

Battle Frontier EM
    Medicham ex UF
    Feraligator ex UF
    Cursed Stone LM
    Lunatone/Solrock LM
    Latios/Latias HP
    Pidgeot d HP
    WP NRG

Ampahros UF
    Meganium ex UF
    Dragonite d DS
    Metagross d Ds
    Starmie d DS
    Gardevoir d Ds
    Holon WP, FF, GL DS
    Delcatty LM
    Huntail/Gorybyss LM
    Flygon d HP
    Blastoise Ex RG
    etc...

Cards I think is good:

Medicham ex-Blocking all pokepowers and pokebodies. Combo with Espeon ex ~Espycham
    Lunatone/Solrock-Need in T2 deck~T2 Arcanine
    Holon Electrode/Magneton-Provide any 2 energy
    Dragonite d-Search discard pile for 1 lightning energy~Metalnite
    Metagross d-Draw 1 card from your deck top 4 cards & crush and burn~Metalnite

Sice when UF got medicham ex? Promo? Suppose to be EM right? Pigeot RG is better as it can search your deck for 1 card you need.

Back