• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Offense VS defense

Do you preffer offensive batteling or defensive?

• Offensive

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • Defensive

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Ah, the age old question of Offense vs. Defense. In the early stages of ADV and DPPt, Stall (Defense) was favored due to the lack of offensive power. Whereas many of the powerful sets and stall breakers still existed (Swords Dance Lucario, Choice Band Tyranitar, Mixed Infernape, Tyraniboah, etc...) many of them did not catch on, and when they did the user of said sweeper would usually meet something to "check" it. Hippowdon was a dominant lead in most early DPPt teams due to its massive defensive capabilities, auto Sandstorm, and sheer awesomeness. SkarmBliss was quite usable in ADV and even DPPt, although once things like Tyraniboah and Mixed Infernape caught on, it was turning into an easier walling combination to stop. Pretty soon, people started to stop relying on stopping opponents in general, and relied on resistances and immunties. Things such as "GrowthTran" (Tangrowth and Heatran used in conjunction for walling) started popping up, and later on, the more effective "CeleTran" (Celebi and Heatran used in conjunction for walling) was made.

As the defensive sets became more effective, so did the offensive sets. Mixed Infernape was one of the most dominant "Stall Breakers" (sweepers designed to defeat stall teams) around, yet it folded to things such as Vaporeon, Starmie (provided it didn't come in on a Grass Knot), and of course, Tentacruel. It seemed as if Mixed Infernape would die out...however, other sets came up from obscurity, such as a more physically offensive Infernape (which can 2HKO Vaporeon 60% of the time with Stealth Rock according to Smogon), and even Swords Dance Infernape (very effective). "MixMence" (Salamence with a moveset of Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Brick Break / Roost or Crunch), came around and became a top threat to all teams, not exclusively stall. Stall started to decline, but still remained pretty common. Offense dominated the metagame pretty much, and things such as "Suicide Leads" (usually fast Pokemon used to set up Stealth Rock, Spikes, or even Reflect and Light Screen). In response to Suicide Leads, "Anti-Leads" were made. Anti-Leads incapitated Suicide Leads, as it was their job.

Platinum brought about a huge amount of changes. Scizor gained Bullet Punch and Superpower, meaning it skyrocketed to the number 1 used Pokemon on the Shoddy Battle Ladder. Of course, it had many checks such as Zapdos, Rotom-H (Heat), Heatran, Gyarados, etc...Salamence gained Outrage, which made its Dragon Dance set nearly unstopabble (it requires quite a bit of prediction or a well placed Mamoswine to take one out). Its Mixed set now became harder to stop, as Outrage would O-2HKO things used to take Draco Meteors, such as Slowking and even Snorlax. Brick Break became unnecessary as Outrage did more to Blissey and Snorlax.

As of now, stall is being used more and more, especially in the new UU, where many support options exist (Registeel, Spiritomb, etc...) I prefer Offense, but Defense is indeed fun.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I like both but i like having mixed pokemon like torkoal he has got excellent defence good offence and good sp att but i voted defence because having defence it awesome

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    Did you read the rules?

Dude, if you have read the rules, this should not be in the general section, i think. It should be somewhere around the gaming strategies section or gaming. I'm not gonna report, but just to say, this thread might be locked.

Me? I like defensive, offensive was not my type.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Dude, if you have read the rules, this should not be in the general section, i think. It should be somewhere around the gaming strategies section or gaming. I'm not gonna report, but just to say, this thread might be locked.

Me? I like defensive, offensive was not my type.
    This is where it is supposed to be. If it was in S&M, then it would be locked since there they only allow RMTs, Suspect Discussions, and what not. This is the forum for every Pokemon game, and it is for gaming. O_o

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    My teams are usually designed with offense in mind, so normally I favor offense over defense.
    Rarely have I ever shift my focus towards defense, and usually when I do it ends up badly.

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    I like talking about this.

I generally use offense, and I have a pretty decent reason around it:

When RBY came out, I was a defensive trainer. I preferred Pokemon that could take hits and dish them out as well. Now, in the current metagame, we call these Tanks. This meant I usually chose Squirtle so I could get a powerful Blastoise. My final team in RBY was:

-Blastoise
    -Snorlax
    -Vaporeon
    -Rhydon
    -Magneton
    - *insert training Pokemon here*

However, a few years later, GSC was released (which also meant a new Game Boy...). I went out and got Gold, while my cousin got Silver and Crystal. She got bored with it and gave them to me. That's when I noticed the invention EVs and IVs. I started my career as a breeder, but didn't care for IVs. I EV trained my butt off on my Pokemon, but I was missing something. I noticed that my previous strategy of using Tanks would no longer work. I had to resort to something else. It was at that moment that I switched to a mix of Tanks and what we now call Sweepers. I then discovered one of the probably strongest Pokemon of its time during this moment of revelation: Shuckle. I restarted my games, and my final team in GSC was:

-Typhlosion
    -Pidgeot
    -Steelix
    -Umbreon
    -Lugia
    -Shuckle

A few more years later, RSE was released (which meant, yet again, another Game Boy). I was getting the hang of the Tank/Sweeper party, but when I discovered no Johto Pokemon in Hoenn, I needed an alternative. With relatively few Tanks and Walls, I switched to complete offense. Speed and power was now my main priority, including HM slaves (I had previously used my own party Pokemon with HMs. One time, I had a Feraligatr with Surf, Waterfall, Rock Smash, and Strength) I then discovered a few more Pokemon that would become staples in any party I desired. My final team by RSE was:

-Blaziken
    -Ninjask
    -Salamence
    -Metagross
    -Gyarados
    -*insert training Pokemon here*

This brings us to now. DP was released, and I got a DS. With relatively few Fire Pokemon in the Dex, I needed all the firepower I needed. I discovered the perfect HM slave during my first few minutes of the game. Bibarel became a staple, but not a battler. I basically carried it everywhere, but trained another, powerful fighter in-between time. My team at the end of DP was:

-Infernape
    -Luxray
    -Garchomp
    -Gyarados
    -Staraptor
    -Lucario

When I get Platinum in March, my wholegame plan may change. Right now, I am focusing on my breeding skills and my contest skills. I'm getting quite good, but I always battle though.

To sum it up: I use offense, but defense is nice. I just like sharing stories...^_^

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    This is where it is supposed to be. If it was in S&M, then it would be locked since there they only allow RMTs, Suspect Discussions, and what not. This is the forum for every Pokemon game, and it is for gaming. O_o

Gaming is for gaming section, not for the general section. It was stated explicitly.

Ashbox

Switched Accounts
    Years
    offense is a must

My Pokemon battle style has always been...... 'hit them quick and hit them hard' ......

offense is always a higher priority than defense in my opinion

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Generally, the metagame contains a mixture of both, which introduced sweepers and walls. However, since the debut of Platinum the metagame has become more and more offense-oriented, leading to more straightforward attacking rather than the strategies introduced only a couple generations before.

I still prefer defensive strategies.

Years
    In-game, I focus totally on offense. There's no point wasting time on defensive moves when the trainers in-game really aren't that hard. Every now and then, especially early in the game when my party is still weak, I'll use growl or sand attack, but eventually I replace them with attacks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I'd say defense. If you can last longer than your opponent, does anything else really matter?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I'd say defense. If you can last longer than your opponent, does anything else really matter?

This sort of thinking was indeed valid back in ADV and early DPPt. I wish it still were, but it's really hard to check and counter everything. Some Pokemon run sets specifically designed to destroy counters, "hax" (a term for luck, such as critical hits occuring) can also ruin your walling combinations. Defensive teams are much harder to construct than offensive teams; successful ones at least.

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
    I'm actually new to the competitive battling scene, so I'm pretty sure my opinion is subject to change as I become more adept at it.

Anyway, I prefer defense over offense, because I always like being able to take hits. Also, with defensive pokemon, you can spend a turn on HP recovery safely, while it's rather risky trying to do so with a purely offensive pokemon. However, I'm not interested in the idea of a purely defensive pokemon either. I prefer defense over offense, but I like my pokemon to be able to fight back at the same time. For example, ever since the beginning (of the 2nd gen), I've always known that Meganium was a defense oriented pokemon, but from my experiences, it always had high enough offensive stats to back it up as well. Those stats may not have been too high in comparison to other choices, but it was enough to get in some good Body Slams or Solarbeams on my opponents.

However, I'm not saying that one is better than the other, because they seem to make perfect rivals with each other. While offensive pokemon can easily sweep through each other, a defensive pokemon may be able to absorb or block the hits. While defensive pokemon can endure many hits, they're the ones that offensive pokemon can endure hits from as well.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I'm more offensive. I don't like beating around the bush and like getting straight to the point. I'm this way in about every game I play. I don't like using moves like "harden" or "Screech" or things of that nature and, in fact, find them to be quite the bother. They're usually the ~first~ moves that get written over once my Pokemon reaches a certain level.

However, with the way in some of the newer games you can battle with 2 Pokemon at a time, I find a few of the defensive moves to be of some use. But, only when they boost my other Pokemon's move or things such as. One example I can think of right now is the move where your Pokemon "protects himself" and, in a double battle, when he does this- he protects both of your Pokemon. This move can come in handy if you have a Pokemon that knows (one of my favorite moves!) Earthquake! Say I have a Espeon that can "protect himself" (seriously! what is that move? it's on the TIP of my tongue... it's not light screen... right? something similar, I think) and an Ursaring that knows Earthquake on the field at the same time. I'll have Espeon protect them and then, Ursaring will use Earthquake. Espeon won't be harmed at all!

I think that, sometimes, you should have at least one Pokemon with a defensive move. Because they can come in handy. But, like I said, I prefer just getting straight to the action so I /usually/ don't use defensive moves.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I usually go for all out offense. I don't have many non-damaging moves on my Pokemon most of the time, though there are a few (Confuse Ray, Psych Up, Moonlight) that I keep around for the odd occasion where I need them.

I really lean towards quick Pokemon with a good attack or special attack, but there are certain times when I'll pick a Pokemon with better defenses over one with higher atk/sp.atk. If something can take a few hits and dish out good damage, I'll sometimes pick it over a glass-cannon style Pokemon, since if the whole team was like that... it wouldn't go so well in a sticky situation.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I always have a defensive team with maybe one or two sweepers in it.

I voted for defense.

Back