• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Offensive things in Pokemon

Years
    Talking about the Swastika here it is
    That's a Manji. These two cards were intended for sale only in Japan with edited versions released in North America the following year.

Look at the Jynx Trading Card.......
    From what I can deduce by looking at these cards, the Sabrina and Koga versions are older than the actual Jynx card which you provided to begin with thus that would be the reason why the so called 'blackface' is still evident on Jynx.

ACC-M, evolution was called metamorphosis in the Japanese version. Stupid dubbers.
    I wouldn't blame this on the so called 'dubbers', rather this probably due to the limited size of the Game Boy cartridge.

Terry M

Weepinbell: Don't hurt me!!!!!
    Years
    I never even thought of Jynx being black like a person. It just makes sense for her to be. Jynx live in the freezing cold, so I would assume that the black skin is caused by the freezing of their skin, like frostbite. And, since they live in the snow, black skin would be helpful in them finding one another, since it would stand out greatly against the white of the snow. Anyone who actually thinks about it without jumping to the conclusion that the only reason it's black is to make fun of black people. SHE'S the racist, in my opinion. What I don't understand is why the pokemon people let that... person walk all over them. They could make up this story I just posted, even if it wasn't true. xD

Well, I think I know why Jynx's face was black.You know how Shellder and Tangela's faces can't be seen, so they'er just plain black?Well Jynx was like one of them, because all that hair covers her face.Only the eye's and lips could be seen.But everyone then thought she was a ''racial stereotype'' and when the lady said that ''Jynx had resembled an overweight drag queen'' that was just her lack of pokemon knowledge.She didn't know that Jynx was related with Magmar and Electabuzz and they both had circular bodies.Jynx doesn't look like a ''Drag Queen'' too me and I have absolutely no Idea how she came up with that.

@boo836:Tangela actually doesn't have a black face.It's just that we can't see it's face, like Shellder and Jynx(but I think I'm the only one who realized that we couldn't see Jynx's face)

Years
    The only thing I could find possibly offensive to a regular person (as in not an extremely sensitive Christian or whatever) is the large reference to gambling. Even so, I have found that they have deliberately rigged many machines in the games (by timing when I press the buttons and the such), which promotes the fact that gambling usually turns out for the worse.

Personally, I don't find it that offensive, but those with gambling problems and those around them could find it somewhat "evil".

Last edited:

capalex65

Anyone need a website done..?
    Years
    I think that the christian extremists living in the US (And elsewhere, it's just mainly there they are located, of course no offence to anyone) should just shut up and actually learn their kids the difference between a ****ing game and real life. I'm not christian myself, but if i were, i wouldn't be offended, but that might be because the christians in Denmark are more relaxed in the whole "following the bible completely" thing, they see it as guidelines, not rules you have to follow completely, but guidelines that can be bent...

Now, my point is that most of those extremists that claim that Pokémon are a thing of the devil should probably go see a shrink because they can't see the difference between an anime, some games, and reality.
    'Nuff said i believe

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    ^^^At the Card^^^^
    I do beleive I have had the english version of that card at one point. I don't remember the symbol, did they remove it in the american version?

Has anyone noticed how in the R/B/Y, whenever you fought a trainer, it says "So-and-so wants to fight".

In G/S/C, it was something along the lines "So-and-so wants to battle"

Then in R/S/E, it beleive it was "Would like to battle".

Seems to be getting less offensive down the generations. Who knows who might be offended by "wants to fight"....

I noticed that, too. Now it says "You are challenged by___" I suppose its because "battle" sounds more civilised than "fight". But "Pokemon battle" sounds better than "Pokemon fight" so its OK, I suppose.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019

Woah, Wierd extreme, but LOL, Adolf Hitler.

I really don't find anything offensive in Pokemon, as a Catholic i don't think i should, So what if Pokemon has the stuff that seems related to satanic origins, I mean, the thing is from fregin Japan! The religions are different! Sooner or later entertainment will start a religious war. I feel that this "Offensive stuff" that's not just in pokemon but other Anime and Imported entertain may be just a little seed that can grow into a war plant.

!gnition

DDRtist
    Years
    Being a Christian as well, I don't understand where what all this fuss is about.

Some of these things that you guys have mentioned never even crossed my mind back in the day when I played red/blue versions and watched the t.v. show daily lol...

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2009
    Nobody in pokemon looks Japanese unless they all dye there hair. Also in R/B/Y in the museum they have the space shuttle columbia.

DrDeath

Don't diss Magikarp
    Years
    The episode that was banned because James grew breasts for a beauty contest.
    And the one where someone pointed a gun at Ash's head.

Yaziyo

Everyone's favourite Arab
    Years
    Funny thing is the 3 most prodominant religeons all had a problem with it.

Islam:
    Promotes gambling
    Some people thought that it promoted Zionism which by the way (to the person who said earlier) is not the same as Judaism. One is a religeon while the other is the theory that Jews have a right to live in Israel. This is what was used to create the country called Israel today. Put it this way, I'm palestinian, I have nothing against Jews but oppose Zionism.
    Similar issues to christianity (evolution)

Christianity:
    Mainly evoultion issues

Judaism:
    Swastika on one of the Pokemon cards. (The swatika was originally used in Eastern cultures and relegeons such as Hinduism or Bhuddism. Most Japanese people associate the Swastika not with hitler and the Nazi regime but rather with the original meanings. This is why it was not a problem until Pokemon reached America where there is a larger Jewish population who would associate it with the Nazis. Furthermore, most western people of a non-Jewish background would also associate the Swastika with the Nazis.)

Years
    Everything that's been banned from Pokemon so far has just made me laugh.
    They're has never been anything in Pokemon that has ever offended me, or come close. (Not including the condescending behavior when it comes to the food-chain, but that's a bit different then racial stereotypes.)

Back