• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I was born that year. But I have been playing ever since 2002 or something like that. First game was a Red Version.
    Those fun times when Psychic Pokemon and Snorlax was god...

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2012
    I thought the game came out before that...
    But yeah, been playin since year 1.

Still got my friends Blue version :D

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I was introduced to it back in '98-'99 (don't remember exactly) by a friend of mine. I do remember though, that I played Pokémon Red on rom long before I got my Gameboy colour in April 2002. I even got a half translated rom of Pokémon Silver. |D Waninoko used [insert gibberish]

Mdash2011

2ndGenPlaya
    Years
  • I remember the first time I played Pokemon was in '99, I believe, making me 6 at the time. The game I played was Red and then went on to get Blue then Yellow, not too long afterwards. What a great Christmas that was, to wake up to a Gameboy Pocket with Pokemon Red. WOW!
    I've played games up as far as Emerald, but no further. R/S/E ruined the run of great games as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd rather stick with the oldies, that I know are going to be great, and with the GB/GBA hacks.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • I cannot remember exactly but I do know that it was my friend Chelsea who introduced me to Pokemon Red. I remember Pokemon Gold being released so it wasn't that long after the release of Red and Blue :)

Shijo

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2013
    i played pokemon blue when i was 8 years.... so i played in the 97, i remember that the anime wasn't released yet, at least in mexico, and there were a lot of commercials of the game in the tv

Years
  • I got my First Pokemon Game in Christmas of '98.
    Year before that I had gotten my red Gameboy Pocket (Kinda wished I had kept) for Christmas.

I then got Gold Version when my Brother, sent it to me as a Birthday Present.

After a long break, I picked up Emerald in 2007 with my Gameboy Micro.

After that went to Pearl.

And now 2011, I have Pokemon Black on my 3DS.

What a nice timeline.

- MegamanC

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I first saw it in school in 98 (i was in year 7 or 8)I think Everyone was out on their gameboys playing it- I bought it later that year, one on a holiday trip to denmark had Pokémon red and I tried it(got lost in mt moon) lol and when i came home I bought myself the blue version. my best friend had the red version but she never came around to trade her Pokémon with mine duh.
    So I'd say it is still oldtimey enough. not long after the gold and silver roms came about(well came out in a symbols/english remix ;) ) Bought the Pokémon silver a day before it was officially released , which meant I didnt have money any more for the birthday present for my parents (whose birthday was 1 and 2 days after respectively) lol
    they were not happy....
    Anyway. thats how it went ;) (my mother confiscated the gameboy for half a year or so...)
    my grand ma bought me a gameboy color(it was drastically reduced in a shop near hers, it only costed 50 DM the equivalent of what would have been 25 € which is now the equivalent of 30$ about. (also got pokemon tcg from some boys who were selling some of their stuff in the shopping centre.)
    I bought crystal myself when it came out, and subsequently sapphire(although a bit later than its release date didnt have money on hand then) and sometime I sold my sapphire to play emerald (I liked sapphire better in the end.) (yeah - I also played sapphire in english jap symbol version before it came out. ) Next one was diamond, soulsilver, and black.
    (I also had a firered version , but what I didnt know when I boguht it it was still the times when there were probably more bootlegs on ebay than real ones. only saw it when it came that it didnt look like the real thing- i played through it, but the battery fainted soem time after I finished.
    (wasnt ready in the shops anymore by the time got it)
    Somewhen along hte way(about time of sapphire or so)Got myself a Pokémon green (japanese original) and red version from the flea market which was at the japanese school which is in my area.

Also played lots of G/S /rb hacks in the time . and some ruby ones too but never as mucn as the G/S hacks <3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    September 30, 1998 here. On the exact date, I got the game. I got Pokémon Red version if I can remember correctly. Maybe I got Blue, I'm not sure. I have them all now and the people who got it for me are not around to ask. I just know that I chose Charmander as my starter. I didn't really become a mega-fan until Yellow came out, which became (and still is to this day) my favorite Pokémon game. Needless to say, if I'm being 100% honest, the fact that I got it since it came out in America, it kind of makes me feel just a liiiittle bit superior to those who were introduced to the games in later generations.

Years
  • Got my Blue version in 97 as well, when I was 11.
    I actually got my game and gameboy color at the same time cause I wasn't in to gaming until Pokemon lol Once I got in the car I picked Charmander and named it Char lol Still have the same gameboy but now the sound doesn't work!

Years
  • I live in West Virginia, and in the late '90s, trends caught on here later than most. Two years after its initial release, everybody at school had it. I received Pokemon Blue Version and a green Game Boy Color for my birthday in 1999. That was the only video game I received for my birthday, but I didn't care. It was awesome. :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I started playing when the Gold and Silver version came out, so whenever that was (1999?) All I know is that I had just turned five years old and it was a gift from Santa, and it was the most amazing thing ever. I didn't even know Pokemon existed until that moment.

Years
  • I got Blue and started with a squirtle I reckon i could still remmeber my final pokemon league team...

Blastiose, Pidgeot, Articuno, Lapras, Flareon and I want to say.. Gyrados..?
    Cant remember my 6th D=
    I do remember having a golbat and omastar at some stage and a ditto, then mewtwo aswell I picked the pokemon based on their 'coolness' at 6/7 years old i think i did a pretty good job :3

Blastoise was jsut a tank and pretty much one hit his way through the elite 4 ha
    and I remember giving eevee a fire stone as soon as I got it so it had a pretty dismal move list ...

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    You've got an old-timer here ;)

Started with Blue in 1998. Skipped over Gen II completely. Got Ruby and Emerald don't know when. Diamond in '08. Black this here.

Years
  • I was the last one of my group of friends to get a Pokemon game, back in 1998. I bought Blue version because everyone else had Red. They used to mock me, as I was the odd one out. Of course, that only lasted until they found out they had to trade to complete their pokedex.

I bought Gold version in 2000, then bought Emerald and LeafGreen in a used game store in 2007, and played them nonstop along with Advance Wars.

Never touched the DS games, as I never got a DS, but that might change soon...

ChibiVamp

>>RETRO GAMER<<
    Years
  • I'm somewhat ashamed to say that although I have been a huge fan most of my life, I never got any games till I discovered emultion totaly by accident in 2005 and downloaded a Pokemon Sapphire ROM to my school's comp.... Since then I've been able to play most of the games, save gen IV upwards. Gotta say that the secong gen will always be my favorite as I grew up dreaming and wishing for it so long... Hehe yeah I know I'm crazy...

Back