• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On the subject of button mashing.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I recall everyone telling me "PUSH B+DOWN AND YOU WILL GET IT FOR SURE" and then the ball broke so I was like >_> but kept doing it anyway. I've honestly broken that habit now though by focusing on -not- pushing B+Down, lol.

There were a few others but I forget them. I do always mash A all the way through the opening sequence though, hehe.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I spam A during dialogue or any time text is running across the screen. YEAH, I KNOW IT'S WILD PIDGEY, NOW JUST LET ME RUN AWAY.
    I don't do that for catching Pokemon.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I used to hold A + B to catch Pokemon, I also mash A when in a Pokemon centre, but I don't do anymore, instead I stare at the Pokeball and visualize the Pokemon getting caught :P

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    The only time I really find myself 'mashing buttons' is when I am using the same attack for a few turns for whatever reason.

I did used to think that pressing and holding the A button at the exact time the pokeball closes would help make the capture more likely though, lol.

In recent times, I hated the whole "automatic" run button in HGSS because it was pointless, to me at least. After playing nearly all past pokemon games I am so used to holding the B button, mainly for running purposes, that I am almost always holding it regardless.

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
    When I was new to this game, someone told me to press 'select' for easier catch until I found out that it was a waste of time and energy. Now I know that all these things that happen when you throw a Pokeball are calculations with the Pokemon's catch rate, the Pokeball's catch rate, it's HP, and status

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
    I don't know why but in blue I caught mewtwo with a pokeball at 100% health by pushing Up and B and ever since me and all my friends do that, it obviously doesn't affect it but it's weird how habits remain!

Back