• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Online Pokemon Adventure Land (Project Opal)

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    EDIT: damn wrong topic, i thought the showcase was for complete games, would a mod mind moving this thread here? :D

yeah, thats right i have an awesome acronym for the project :)
    Hi guys, I have started a project to try and make an MMO pokemon game, the way the players wanted it.
    What was wrong with pokemon before?
    ...you could beat it!

On pokemon OPAL you will never be able to beat it, there will always be something new to do. Always new zones being released and possibly new pokemon being found.

However, we do need people on the development team.

The game is currently written entirely with Java, i started from scratch, no RPG Maker or anything like that, just plain text so i can do what i want, how i want it.

I post development updates once or twice a week too so everyone can see my progress. Also, i am working on opening up an open pre-alpha server so people can get a feel for how the game will look and feel.
    I am always looking for more java devs to help out with the project, just hit me up with a PM on my forum and i should respond to you within the next day.
    Visit (link removed) for more info on the project.
    you can see pictures and more on the website

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    Sounds good mate ! Im interested already! I do hope this wont turn dead within weeks /months.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    it won't turn dead. I program for fun, not because i have to, so i know that i will not give up on this project.... Also, i have a new update.... I have added all 649 pokemon to my database this morning!!!!

i found a list of all pokemon on the internet(on bulbapedia) and then copied and pasted the data into a text file that looked like thise:
    Code:
    001    001    Bulbasaur    45    49    49    65    65    45    318    53
    002    002    Ivysaur        60    62    63    80    80    60    405    67.5
    003    003    Venusaur    80    82    83    100    100    80    525    87.5
    004    004    Charmander    39    52    43    60    50    65    309    51.5
    005    005    Charmeleon    58    64    58    80    65    80    405    67.5
    006    006    Charizard    78    84    78    109    85    100    534    89
    and then i wrote a program to parse the lines into a mysql query like this:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('001', 'Bulbasaur', '45', '49', '49', '65', '65', '45');
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('002', 'Ivysaur', '60', '62', '63', '80', '80', '60');
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('003', 'Venusaur', '80', '82', '83', '100', '100', '80');
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('004', 'Charmander', '39', '52', '43', '60', '50', '65');
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('005', 'Charmeleon', '58', '64', '58', '80', '65', '80');
    INSERT INTO `pokemon_template` VALUES('006', 'Charizard', '78', '84', '78', '109', '85', '100');
    like i said, ill be posting project updates weekly on my forum, and ill try to post them here too.

If anyone wants me to write a program to parse that text file into whatever format they need, just PM me

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    yes, i plan on importing fakemon as updates to the game. Having a database-structured game really makes adding new contend VERY easy, once the engine is made, all we need to do is populate the world with npcs and objects through ingame chat commands

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    That sounds great, i'm checking your forum daily, my username is Krayziee

If you need help when the time is right, with inserting fakemon/world populating or whatever give me a call.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    alright well right now i'm working on the chat system, then i will be working on the command handler, then finally the object handler. I will contact you once the time comes

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • It's against the rules to link to other forums. Try not to do it again.

Also, please keep your conversations outside of the thread.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    Really? I didn't see that in da rules, sorry. thats my project's website, i have a forum there so i don't have to spam this forum with my updates and chat. What if i put a nice big link on my forum that says "Click here for the PokeCommunity Page" or something like that. I'm not trying to steal your users, im simply just trying to get people interested in my project

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Really? I didn't see that in da rules, sorry. thats my project's website, i have a forum there so i don't have to spam this forum with my updates and chat. What if i put a nice big link on my forum that says "Click here for the PokeCommunity Page" or something like that. I'm not trying to steal your users, im simply just trying to get people interested in my project

It's a global rule affecting everywhere of the site. We are allowed to put them in our signatures but can't put them in posts.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    ahh i see.. i've read the forum's rules more thoroughly now. i see it. I saw the part that said "If you'd like to link to a website, then it must be relevant to the discussion" then i realized that it was just for sources and such, ill edit the forum link out of my site and just tell people to look at my sig. thanks for helping me clear this up... anyway a new update: I've posted some screenies of the chat system which can be seen on my forum which is in my signature!

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    Hey guys i just wanted to let you guys know how the project is doing if you haven't been following it on my site(see signature) I have added the chat as well as commands to make it easier to insert objects into the map. So we do not really need one mapper to work on each section at a time. Right now we need to start populating some of the areas. How it will work is a bunch of mappers will connect to the server and add objects such as grasses, buildings, fences, etc. to the world through chat commands. I will edit this post with a video example once i get one up.
    Video:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back