• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Over Training' Starters?

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Hey, I know this one kid whos a hopeless-case at pokemon. He always over trains his start and by the time of the 3rd gym he has the final evolution of it. All his other pokemon are untrained and once his starter is gone he looses. I want to help him even though he fails. Got any tips for him?

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    during the story line and beating gym leaders i often only use a starter and have him at his final evo really quickly. I see no problem with yuour friends strategy for now.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The game is open-ended for a reason. XD

As long as he only does that for the in-game stuff, there's no real problem with it, but if he tries to pull this stuff on wi-fi, he'll learn his lesson's quite quickly. XD

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • i always train my starters instead of other pokes. because by the time you finish training them you go to the next town and the route has pokemon that are the same level as the ones you just wasted your time training.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I remember I used to do that back in the day. I had some good times with my Feraligatr and Typhlosion (don't remember which one was in my Gold and which was in Crystal) But now I know what it's like to need lots of patience to grind all my other Pokemon. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with just using the starter, as long as it's at a high-enough level.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nothing wrong with it. My brother and sister used to do that, and my brother still does it sometimes. But it's not some kind of problem or anything. It's just in-game, and I've beaten the E4 with a Blaziken, so he should be fine.

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    I see what you all are saying, but in HG and SS it's harder to do so, and as a result he can't beat the 3rd gym! I told him to train others which he's now doing and that he should be fine now! Thanks.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • He just needs to work on the rest of his team for a bit. Even if his starter is still the strongest, having the others a couple of levels less wouldn't hurt.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I never train my Starter I catch a few pokes and then put my starter up for good don't know why but I just can't stand them

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    Whitney is generally considered the toughest gym leader in kanto, so there's bound to be difficulty. When he gets to Mahogany town, he can simply place an exp share on the other pokemon and keep on going. Revives and hyper potions are all he needs. To me, "over training the starter" is the fastest way to get through the main game.

Decodedd

Number One Rookie !
    Years
  • I actually did that for YEARS, but then realized that my Lvl . 80 Charizard can't go&beat my friends single-handedly .
    But I Do recommend trying to train most, if not ALL your team to be even ;D

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • In-game you can generally get away with over-training your starter and then having 4 or 5 level 9 HM slaves. Not my style, but each to their own.

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
  • Whitney is generally considered the toughest gym leader in kanto, so there's bound to be difficulty. When he gets to Mahogany town, he can simply place an exp share on the other pokemon and keep on going. Revives and hyper potions are all he needs. To me, "over training the starter" is the fastest way to get through the main game.
    Geography Check: Whitney is found in the Johto Region, but I'm sure you where probably typing to fast to realize what you had said.

Training your Pokemon equally or having one strong one, it depends on the style of the person. Having one strong one gets you through the games quicker but having multiple strong Pokemon makes it fun (at least for me that's the case).

SethOmega

I'm hiding in your hat.
    Years
  • In Sapphire and Emerald, I will usually get Mudkip and shortly after get Ralts. I keep these pokemon until the end area, where I get Lairon. With these three pokemon I beat the Championship. Overtraining is not always a bad thing, but you need to know HOW to overtrain. I reccomend a few lower level pokemon that you can switch to when you need to heal or revive your main one. Also, I recommend a lot of Ethers and Elixers for long battles.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • If having trouble with Whitney, don't worry, that's the hardest battle at this point in the game. (Took me three tries with a balanced team at 3 levels higher than her, so... -.-'')

Just find a way to indispose her Miltank and whittle away, until she heals it (or it heals itself, bloody Milk Drink) and whittle some more. Even if your mate's starter is high levelled, it probably can't survive on its own unless there's backup to be sent out while he heals up his starter, and then go at it again.

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • Let your friend have his fun. :P This game can be completed with any team of Pokemon for a reason. In almost all of my Pokemon games, my starter has been way ahead of my other Pokemon until the fourth or fifth gym; I see no problem with your friend's strategy. Eventually he'll catch and train other Pokemon too.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Yeah, I never really did it too much, but my brother has always done that (i.e., in Platinum, his starter is level 40-something and everything else is in their twenties. The bad part: He chose chimchar and is going up against Wake... bad match up, don'tcha think?). The best solution: Stick an exp. share on a Pokemon, and grind for a while. Lather, rinse, and repeat (:P) until you have a strong enough team to continue. It gets really boring (trust me, I know, I had to do that with my ENTIRE team in Platinum), but it's worth it.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I do that in every game, nothings wrong with that. Try doing it with 2 pokemon. In my platinum, my little starly and chimchar were fully evolved and at lv 42 before I reached the 3rd gym.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Are you serious?

I beat Whitney with just my Quilava...and I had trained up three other Pokemon! O_O

Rock Smash is your buddy here, guys. Nobody ever remembers that the HMs have types too...

I usually run with only two Pokemon, usually picked to cover each other's weaknesses. That way, I don't only rely on one Pokemon and I don't have to grind, ever. I ABSOLUTELY HATE GRINDING.

Back