• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Overcome: Magikarp 3.3

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Overcome: A Day in the Life of Magikarp

A glimpse into the life and struggles of the apex prey.
    See the world through Magikarp's eyes in a silent, minimalist, text-less experience, with an original soundtrack.

In this constrained existence, there are 22 ways to perish.
    Let an array of visual and audio effects be your guide to a helpless future.
    Unless you keep on fighting to make it your own.

There is no way to save your progress, and seemingly, fate is beyond your control.
    Or are both of the above statements, false?

No matter the odds, whether you Overcome, will be a matter of choice.

Overcome: Magikarp 3.3

Made with:
    RPG Maker MV

Team:
    AenaonDusky
    Oleole
    Rocky
    RadarsPJ

Downloads:
    Overcome 3.3 (Windows)
    Overcome 3.3 (Linux)
    Overcome 3.3 (Mac)

How to update from an older version:

Copy all "undefined" files in from the "www" folder of the older version, into the "www" folder of the newest version.

Notes:

A map and small guide are included.
    Haven't actually tested Linux and Mac versions but they should work.
    The game saves in its root folder, and not in any other directory.
    You may press F4 to enjoy the game on fullscreen.

Development Notes:
    Spoiler:

Known bugs:
    Spoiler:

Credits:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, Im a little lost.

Spoiler:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hey, Im a little lost.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Final Question

Spoiler:

Wonderful game by the way.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Final Question

Spoiler:

Wonderful game by the way.

Spoiler:

And, thanks! Would you mind leaving a review when you are done?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I assume I leave a review here?

I like the color and sound design a lot I think that the game makes good use of them.

Major spoilers! Don't click until you beat the game!

Spoiler:

This was also a lot more fun than the last time I played as a Magikarp in a Pokemon Fan game. Im looking right at you Prism.

I'm not too sure how much more I should go into this review though it is definitely one of those "play it blind" experiences.

Edit: Oh I should also mention that I have been playing The First Journey as well. I like that one too. Currently stuck near the end.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    So, I keep dying in the maze Kingdra brings me to. I do not know what is causing it as it seems to happen completely randomly

Edit: Nevermind, got through that. Now I am just missing one death but have no clue what it could be

Edit 2: Nevermind again, turns out I was just too good at avoiding Tyranitar lol. great game

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I assume I leave a review here?

I like the color and sound design a lot I think that the game makes good use of them.

Major spoilers! Don't click until you beat the game!

Spoiler:

This was also a lot more fun than the last time I played as a Magikarp in a Pokemon Fan game. Im looking right at you Prism.

I'm not too sure how much more I should go into this review though it is definitely one of those "play it blind" experiences.

Edit: Oh I should also mention that I have been playing The First Journey as well. I like that one too. Currently stuck near the end.

Thank you for your review!

So, I keep dying in the maze Kingdra brings me to. I do not know what is causing it as it seems to happen completely randomly

Edit: Nevermind, got through that. Now I am just missing one death but have no clue what it could be

Edit 2: Nevermind again, turns out I was just too good at avoiding Tyranitar lol. great game

Thanks, it's the "depths" karperishment, perhaps I should use a better pixi filter to showcase the depths?

Version 1.8

- Karperishment perishing screen won't repeat for Karperishments that have already been found
    - Interaction with the first Karp NPC now activates by hitting the interact button as normal

Fixes:
    - Swim animation will now trigger correctly upon subsequent completion of the underwater segments

Years
    • Online now
    I really like this game! I think it's super inventive and creative. I have hit a roadblock though. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or have missed something needed to get through it, but I cannot get through the octillery. I thought I made it through the fastest ones, and then that one that is mach 10 made me realize I might be doing this wrong because I see no way of getting past it. In my mind, that's a sign that I am not meant to attempt the octillery yet. However, everywhere else is blocked off. The scyther forest's exit has a log, the pigdeot area becomes totally blocked when I enter it, and I can't do anything with my jump when swimming so the dock is a dead end too. Please help me, I don't know what i'm missing.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I really like this game! I think it's super inventive and creative. I have hit a roadblock though. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or have missed something needed to get through it, but I cannot get through the octillery. I thought I made it through the fastest ones, and then that one that is mach 10 made me realize I might be doing this wrong because I see no way of getting past it. In my mind, that's a sign that I am not meant to attempt the octillery yet. However, everywhere else is blocked off. The scyther forest's exit has a log, the pigdeot area becomes totally blocked when I enter it, and I can't do anything with my jump when swimming so the dock is a dead end too. Please help me, I don't know what i'm missing.

You haven't gotten your first jump upgrade yet? You should be able to get past the Scyther Forest log pretty easily. To get your jump upgrade, free the Magikarp that is being bullied in the urban area (all the way to the top right from the cliffs). Other than that, the octillery part is certainly doable with the first upgrade, might be a bit more tricky, but I did it by just spamming jump myself with no upgrades. You can try getting all the upgrades before attempting it too!

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Thanks to input and dev help from Demice, a polished and improved version is now up:

Overcome 2.0:
    Spoiler:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Thanks to Cadeorade5's playthrough, a few improvements have been introduced:

Update 3.0

- Item and abilities menu added (press Q)
    - Access to sharpedo and kingdra depths will now be blocked off after initial completion (shark and whirl karperishments available in the OW too)
    - Ocarina stone now blocks progress before the Octillery path
    - Fixed wrong transport after getting the Ocarina

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Update 3.1
    - Fixed sharpedo depths inaccessibility prior to getting Dragon's Scale

To maintain your progress, if updating, copy all "undefined" files in from the "www" folder of the older version, into the "www" folder of the newest version.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    As always, every single AenaonDusky game is amazing. Awesome game. A masterpiece.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Overcome has been updated to 3.2. Unless there's any sort of bug I'm unaware of, this should be the final update!

3.2:
    - Fixed Item 6 not showing in item menu
    - Fixed Flail icon showing in place of the Ice icon
    - Made some item icons easier to see

Linux version added to the Downloads section.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Overcome: Magikarp has been updated to 3.3.

• The route map will now prevent the player from entering Pidgeotto's Forest, until Pidgeotto has been dealt with. This will save many issues with randomly stumbling on Pidgeotto
    • Tile fixes
    • Mac and Linux versions available

Last edited:
    Back