• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parents?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My parents know and have never had any desire to play the games. I probably had them try it once--I'm sure I must have--but it obviously didn't click for them. :/ I'm not even sure they know the names of the Pokémon I collect. *sigh*

My dad likes to joke around about it though. He calls my Pokémon collection my "yellows" because for the longest time it was mostly just Pichu. XD; He actually has a favourite (Psyduck :D) and remembers a bunch of random gen 1 Pokémon for some reason. (He brought up Charizard, Mewtwo, and Raichu for some reason on our last roadtrip and my brother and I were amazed. XD)

But when it comes to the games... no go. u_u; My mom just shook her head at me when I told her new games came out.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    My parents only know that I'm into Pokemon and that this creature called "Pikachu" is somehow involved. But they don't mind and pretty much let me choose my own interests.

I honestly think they know more of the TV show because of my brother watching it and sometimes having to record it on the main TV set in our house.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Did anyone notice Lightning posted twice? XD

So yeah, none of my parent knew about Pokemon that much, not even pikachu sadly.

But surprise, surpirse, they remember the first episode I watched, with the "Whack-A-Mole things" Diglett.

I almost didn't get any game after Emerlad since it needed a Ds and they weren't gonna get it, but my aunt got it, so yeah.

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
    He actually has a favourite (Psyduck :D)

:O That's my mum's fave!! :P
    Heheh, my mum's more involved with it than my dad I suppose... (in that she knows a few of them and actually tries to get to grips with it when I start going on about it xD) When I told my dad about HGSS and how they were remakes of THE GREATEST GEN EVAR!!!! >.< he just said it was a waste of money buying the same game again...

But then again he does help me with the ROM side of things (he's a techy) for Monotype challenges 'n' stuff.
    So its all good on my end! :D

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    When I was young (about six or seven) I taught my mum the names of a few Pokémon using plushies. I even taught her how to play a little bit and I found her on my Crystal a couple of times when I have discussed it with her a little (i.e. "Don't go into the Gym, don't catch anything and don't save!").

Now that I'm older, neither of my parents cares. They'll say, "Get off that machine, it's nice outside. Why don't you go out with your friends?"

To which I respond, "But I'm EVing this Poliwag and it's doing really well, there should be a huge Special Attack boost at the next level up in 2000 Exp, especially since it's higher levelled and KOing level 6 Oddishes in Ilex Forest! It could take me all weekend, y'know."

To which I recieve blank looks and the idea that I have been wasting my life on this "silly machine".

Yah, my parents don't understand the importance of Pokémon. :3

But my mother WILL admit to knowing something. She calls Pokémon "bloody... Pikachus!" and remembers the only episode she ever saw where "that boy was riding the horse that was on fire, and that other boy fired his sludge-thing at it". ("The Flame Pokémon-athon", where Ash rides a Ponyta and James attacks him with Weezing.)

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Ok son, that's a tad bit much don't you think? I mean, realying back to your child hood is great and I did name my Shepard after one of my Pokemon's nicknames but naming your child, after an Eevee? Fine I admint Evelyn sounds like a beautiful name but I can only see what would happen later in life for her.

Tell that to the guy who named his daughter Epona after the horse from LoZ. He sent in a photo of her birth certificate to the Official Nintendo Magazine as proof.
    Makes you wonder what he would've wanted to call her had she been a boy...

kokopuffchan

a s h e n
    Years
    my parents don't really know i still play pokemon. my mom might, though. she's kinda weirded out that i really like it, since it's such a little-kid game to her. my dad would probably be ashamed. so they don't really care. <3

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    They don't give a damn. My parents would rather learn English than start playing Pokemon.

It's a good thing, actually. I don't want them to know what I'm doing, and it'd be nails-on-chalkboard to hear my mother questioning me if I was playing Pokemon or not. It's better that she sticks to calling everything I play "game." In retrospect, I am playing "games", but at least she's not being descriptive about it. :)

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    My parents know about my little pokemon obsession, and my stepdad sometimes jokes about it, but honestly, i could care less. I don't care about what they think. I do what I enjoy doing, and that's playing these "childish video games." aha.

My parent's would rather do something else then play "silly pokemon."

Back