• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PBS Editor

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    (I never get the images right... but I'll leave the links).
    https://imgur.com/uPQ6Inx
    https://imgur.com/dvqbBth
    https://imgur.com/BICv3ip

Version:
    This is meant for V19.1 use.

Credits:
    This was made entirely by me (Aioros).

Installation Instructions:
    Download the File.
    Extract PBSE Folder into your game folder.
    Create a shortcut for PBS Editor.exe and put it wherever you want.

Usage Instructions:
    Hit compile and it will check for errors, it will be quite stingy with errors, for example when I used it on my own game there was some "," missing in some pbs files and it matters a lot because it's the difference between a valid and invalid amount of parameters.
    If there is an error, open the error log file and correct them before recompiling.
    If it compiles without errors you can just choose from the edit dropdown which pbs file you want to edit.
    Use the textbox under Backup option to create a backup folder with the name of your choosing, your current pbs files will be copied over there, while the PBSE will NOT under any circumstance modify or delete your pbs files it's always good to have a backup and that's why this functionality exists, the created backup folders will be inside /PBSE/Backup/...
    After you edit something use the "generate" menu to generate either an item/move/etc or the entire pbs file. You can access this file in the PBSE/Generated Folder in your game folder or using the "open" menu. It's important to keep in mind that changes will never affect your PBS file. You need to add changes manually or overwrite the files manually too (this is intended).
    If for some reason you want to hard reset the PBSE without closing and opening you can hit ReCompile button and it will recompile from the scratch what you have in your game folder pbs, reseting EVERY CHANGE you've made in the PBSE.

Specific Instructions:
    Spoiler:

Downloads
    Outdated v19.1 version:

Updated v19.1 version: (1.1 version of PBSE):
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/hr8tyh3dt1ogz8k/PBSE_1.1.rar/file
    V17 / V18 Compatible version which is no longer supported:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ohb7uea32u9qi3/PBSE_1718.rar/file

By the way a small disclaimer, this is my first visual studio project, this whole thing served as a big learning experience for me, but thanks to that the "release" wasn't smooth at all, in debug it was working really well, however I had some issues getting the ".exe" file, what worked best and less messy for me was just getting the files in the bin/release folder. I'm even unsure if all those files are needed or some are optional and I unnecessarily spammed the folder, the release also brought me some issues and even made me disable one extra QOL change I had made that just wasn't working in the release version no matter what.

I'll keep watching this post and if (lol more like when) any bugs are reported I'll do my best to fix them and release a new version quickly. I'm also open to suggestions but probably I won't care much for stuff like visual upgrades, etc as opposed to stuff like adding a feature that could be very helpful and I forgot about.

(I actually ended the first version of the PBS Editor almost 2 weeks ago, by the time I had started v19 wasn't released, so I made one compatible with both v17 and v18 - the generated files were fully in v18 format, this was also my first time coding in c# and by far the most complex thing I've done, so when I finished the v17/v18 version I focused on just rewriting everything to make it as efficient as I could, since the code itself changed quite significantly I thought there would be no benefit in releasing that 1st version because any found bug would probably be caused by something which I had rewritten already. However if there's people who would like a v17/v18 version too I wouldn't mind releasing it... but it would be significantly slower then this one, over 3 times slower to be exact and while its technically functional and could 100% be used and be an asset it has some annoying visual bugs, etc).

Changelog
    Edit (29/5): V19.1 supported PBSE was released. The link was replaced since the v19 one had no use:
    -Fixed minor bug where incorrect instalation would spam the user with the files that were missing.
    -Updated BallType compatibility to v19.1, and REMOVED number compatibility for ball types, since it would be done in future I thought it'd be pointless to delay it.
    -Added AbilityIndex and updated Ability, compiler will stop you if you have both abilityindex and ability in a battler.
    -Beware in Trainers editor if you select Ability Index it will automatically disable the Ability and vice versa.

Edit (12/6): Version 1.1 released:
    -Fixed 2 potential crashes when user wouldn't add Internal Names to objects or Pokemon Forms would use a non existent Pokemon.
    -Adapted compiler to be more user friendly (for example it would only read this format: "Item = ORANBERRY", now it doesn't matter if it's "Item =..." "Item= ..." "Item=...", etc... It still only supports v19.1 format but in the case the user was updating his/her PBS since v17 it would have that format, the Generation function will automatically convert it to full v19.1 format.
    -Compilation speed was improved drastically, in average I was compiling in 473ms as opposed to the 2435ms of previous version and 8581 of first unreleased version (this one is for v17/v18, since someone asked I'll release it soon).
    -Compiler will be able to spot invalid propertys, before it would just ignore them, now if for some reason... idk "Item = ..." has a typo and it's "Itam = ..." then you'll be getting an error instead of ignoring it and getting incomplete data.
    -The Error Log will be displaying more detailed error messages to make it faster to locate and correct the errors.
    -Added a Total Base Stats tracker for Pokemon and PokemonForms Editor.
    -Added a Show Stat Details right below Total Base Stats, this will open a new form where it shows how many Pokemon have that amount of total base stats and exactly which pokemon and pokemon forms have it. (This will not update in real time, imo it's not worth sacrificing performance for this, to update it just hit compile.)
    -In every editor now when adding a new Pokemon / Form / Trainer, etc it will automatically select that new entry and update all its respective fields to allow the user to starting editing right away.
    -Added a friendly message in the base UI stating how many backups the user has. If you have 0 make sure to make at least one, you never know when you might need it ^^.
    -Made some changes to make it possible to have all PBS Editor related files stored in PBSE folder in order to keep it from spamming the main game folder (at least for me it was getting on my nerves real badly), now installation is basically just adding PBSE folder to your game folder and that's it, the .exe file will be in PBSE folder but you can just create a shortcut and move it somewhere convenient.

Last edited:
    Years
    Tested with a clean version of v19.1

PBS Editor

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think you're supposed to put everything in the main project folder, not in a folder inside the project folder. When I do that on Essentials v19.1 though, I get this:
    -------------------
    Error Log Entry :
    4:07:02 PM Thursday, May 27, 2021
    :
    Trainers: HEAVYBALL isn't a valid Ball Type.
    -------------------

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Yeah, you're supposed to put everything in the main project folder so basically you'd have something like:
    PBS Editor

https://imgur.com/y0TQ6XJ

About that issue with ball type, it uses the balltypes in config.txt to tell if the balltype is valid, so HEAVYBALL=19 should validate that, i've been working of base v19 version, in v19.1 trainer pbs it uses the ball type instead of the number? if so then it wouldn't work.

Edit: My suspicion is confirmed, v19.1 changed the balltype format to the ball type itself instead of a number.
    I'll be releasing an update version, which also will allow me to fix one bug where an incorrect installation could lead to a spam of files missing. Sorry about the inconvenience, I think changing the config.txt to something like HEAVYBALL=HEAVYBALL might bypass this inconvenience but I'll be working on a more definitive answer.
    Edit2: There seems to be some more changes in v19.1 like the ability index, I'll look into the changes and release a fully v19.1 compatible version (hopefully) tomorrow.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    I updated the link, this version is now fully v19.1 compatible. Do let me know if everything is working,

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    i have a version compatible with v17 and v18 (it loads both v17 and v18 but the generation output is only v18), it was the first one i did so its kinda bad... it works 100%, but there's visual bugs and its almost 4x slower, I can adapt it and release it soon, tbh I'm not too excited about working on it because its old, but to make it "releasable" there's 1 thing I need to change, in v19 there's 1 variable that controls all file paths, in the old one its a new path every time I needed one, and i'd need to change that, so i'd say when I'm bored I can make it within an hour or so, but yeah idm releasing that since it would take minimal effort

Years
    I don't understand why, but I can't open the executable, it just doesn't respond. I tried the compatibility program, and from the task manager, and nothing
    It seems that one or more files from the previous version, were required for this (maybe they are missing) when moving these old files into the new one, the next error appears

System.MissingFieldException: Field not found: 'PBSELibrary.Global.BallTypeDictionary'.
    at PBSE_2.StartUI.CheckConfig()
    at PBSE_2.StartUI.Compile_Button_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    thanks for the warning, apparently it was missing the PBS Editor.dll
    honestly releasing the actual thing gave me more trouble then coding the hardest feature =\
    I guess the last time I built the solution it didn't create that file for some reason, I did think it was weird how the .rar file was so much smaller but I ended up ignoring that fact, now it should be fine, I updated the link.

someone please confirm if it's working now, last time I just tested on visual studio and it was fine, now I tested properly and on my end it's fine but I'm second guessing everything, this kinda feels cursed xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    that seems to be right, is the .exe file on the main folder? like this
    Folder Img
    if its inside the PBSE folder it won't work, because then it will be looking for PBSE/PBS/... instead of just /PBS/...

Ohh okay, thats what I was doing wrong. I copy pasted the PBSE folder instead of putting what was inside in the root folder. Thanks! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2021
    It keeps telling me I need to install .NET but when I did nothing happen

Soracion

Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    It keeps telling me I need to install .NET but when I did nothing happen

It did the same thing to me, the link the prompt gives you is actually incorrect, you'll have to find the correct install.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Sadly I don't know much about that, but if it requires a certain .NET version then it would likely be net 5.0 windows, that's the framework I used.

Soracion

Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    If I remember correctly [this] should be what you need in order for this editor to work. You only need the 5.0 rec install.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2023
    This seems absolutely amazing. It will help tremendously when editing PBS. I have one request. Could you consider implementing a base stat total displayer for each species? Take a look at Marin's PBS editor and you'll see what I'm talking about. ^_^

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    This seems absolutely amazing. It will help tremendously when editing PBS. I have one request. Could you consider implementing a base stat total displayer for each species? Take a look at Marin's PBS editor and you'll see what I'm talking about. ^_^

yes, that one actually makes a lot of sense, I don't do much pokemon editing so I didn't even consider that, when I was doing this I wanted to go through all the stages of development including proper planning and one of the things I avoided was to look at Marin's PBS Editor, I've used it a lot in the past especially encounters and trainers so it's hard to forget all about it, but I tried to think for myself what would be needed, how to organize, etc
    I'm picturing just a "total: " under both base stats and effort points, and a label stating how many pokemons have same stats maybe (this part actually sounds fun, I'm already thinking how to make it efficiently and in a way to update in real time as you change stats), i think listing them all would make it too crowded tho

but to avoid just spamming releases I'm gonna wait a few days to see if there are reported bugs or if someone makes more suggestions

Back