• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pick Up And Play Challenge

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I always seem to have a hard time explaining the challenges I post, lol. But hey, I'munna try. Anyway, this the Pick Up And Play challenge. See all your main series Pokemon games lyin around? Pick'em up and play where you left off.

The best way to explain is by example, I suppose. I have all Versions, excluding Green. So I got Hiiro to randomize an order for me to play them in (though you can choose the order yourself if you so wish). Each day, you play one game, and only that game. Just pick it up and play where you left off last time you had played it, whether you're in Cerulean Cave, getting your starter, or even already done. You just continue on with it.

Rules:

1. It's recommended you use all versions you have available. Makes the challenge longer and more...challenging.
    2. If you have duplicates of one game (I have 2 Emeralds and a ROM), you can choose which one you will play.
    3. ROMs are allowed, as well are legendaries. This might be the only challenge where they are excepted, haha.
    4. DO NOT START A NEW GAME. The only exception to this is if the battery has run dry or it's a game/ROM you haven't really touched yet. The purpose of this challenge is to see how well you can readapt to whatever you were last doing.
    5. If you use a game that's currently in use for another challenge, it's fine to use it. Kills two birds with one stone.
    6. You don't have to make your days consecutive. For instance, you might play Red on Monday and wait til Wednesday or so to play the next one on your list.
    7. It's also recommended that you don't play twin games consecutively, like playing Diamond one day and then Pearl the next. Wouldn't wanna get too burnt out.
    8. When updating, if possible, please post your team status and location etc. that you had when you first picked up the game as well as what you ended with by the end of the day.
    9. Also when updating, please try to post what all you did and not just the team you started/ended the day with.
    10. You are NOT trying to complete the game. Remember, this is just really to see how much you can do and it's only for fun. So unless you last played and were at the Elite 4, don't sweat trying to complete the game.

I know this all sounds confusing, so if you have any questions, please VM/PM me instead of cluttering the thread.

Username
    Spoiler:

Here's mine while I'm here. loolol
    Sydian
    Spoiler:

Make sure you update on the days that you play a game. If I play Silver tomorrow, then I would need to post what I did at the end of the day, for example.

Instead of listing challengers, I will just list who finishes. If you finish, please just send me a VM/PM saying so and you will be added.

~Update~
    The Challenge Forum Rules have been updated to include hacks, under certain circumstances. For this challenge, if you would like to include your hack games on your list, feel free to add them in!

Champions:
    Sydian

Last edited:

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    This sounds cool cos it doesn't require you to start a new game. Lemme try this.

Username: Dragonite149
    Spoiler:

I'm saving up for Black or White. I'm not sure which one to get but I'm thinking Black. I'll post here when I get one so I can add it to my list of games.

I'll try to complete ALL the games to make it more challenging.

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    Hey, I'm here too!

Porygon Z
    Spoiler:

I'm starting right now!

Later I'll update. :)

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Okay, Syd. I am on. Now let's see some ROMs I've got lying around :

Spoiler:

How about that ?
    Okay, I'll begin today or tomorrow with whatever I was doing on Blue. I think it was a Nuzlocke, but I started abusing the Mew Glitch for Scythers and Jynxs. ;; lol

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    This sounds like fun! =]

Spoiler:

Are the spinoff games allowed?

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Chaos11011
    Spoiler:

Asked my Brother to Randomized for me,this will be long since I have 11 games O_o

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    I started abusing the Mew Glitch for Scythers and Jynxs. ;; lol

I've found a Dragonite with that glitch :D
    Defeat the one at the beginning of Cycle Road who has a Lv. 33 Weezing!

Anyway, here's my update.

First, I've started the game: named myself Haru, and Jack my rival.
    I've got my Squirtle, then heading for Viridian, taking and delivering Oak's Parcel.
    Once done that, I got my Pokèdex. So, I went to Viridan and buy some Pokè Balls, then captured a male Nidoran and a Pidgey.
    Grinded him and defeated Gary, then passed through Route 2 and Viridian Forest.
    Once in Pewter, I've bought some Potion, then took on Brock: too easy.
    As prize, I got my Stone Badge and TM34.
    Then I went onto Route 3, heading to Mt. Moon, and in the while Squirtle and Nidoran evolved!
    Mt. Moon was very easy, at the half Pidgey evolved, and, as soon as i found a Moon Stone, I evolved Nidorino.
    I got also a Helixfossile, then get out of the cave.
    Arrived in Cerulean, I've defeated very quickly both Misty and Jack, then passed through Routes 24 and 25, and met Bill, who gave me the Ticket for S.S. Anne.
    Now, I've defeated a Team Rocket grunt, passed through Routes 5 and 6, then arrived into Vermilion. Now I'm training in the S.S. Anne.
    And here's where my update ends... Hope you enjoy! :D

Lv. 25

Tackle
    Bite
    Bubblebeam
    Water Gun

Lv. 24

Gust
    Sand Attack
    Quick Attack
    Whirlwind

Lv. 24

Thrash
    Body Slam
    Horn Attack
    Poison Sting

Lv. 8

Peck
    Leer
    Sand Attack
    Cut (Later)​

Last edited:
    Years
    Of course I'm doing this. Now, let's see what the random generator spat out:
    Spoiler:

Damn, you suck, generator. Ruby and Sapphire, Gold and Crystal, Black and white and DPPt all in a row... But I'm taking it anyways.
    I just noticed I forgot HGSS here... I'll just put them between twin versions.

mondays suck
    Spoiler:

And now I'll assign some challenges to each of them, except Green and BW:
    Spoiler:

If I finish this before 2011 I truly have no life.

Also: I never got that Mew Glitch working, I'm too slow =(

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Actually, Blue was that Nuzlocke which I got bored of since no one died. Sheesh.
    Well, so far I beat Koga and I'm in Cinnabar. I'll post at the end of today my full progress.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This is only main games, but you know, if you really want, I suppose you could do spin offs. :) I'll make a separate section for main series champions and spin off champions.

Years
    First update.
    Spoiler:

So, I started Green and figured I might as well do a challenge on it, but since I didn't find any challenge in the forum I could do with it, I decided to just Nuzlocke it. I've yet to finish a Nuzlocke with my starter alive, so I might as well try to achieve this here.
    Spoiler:

My team at this point:
    Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Today (technically yesterday, since I played this til the very last minute) I had Diamond. And I didn't realize how slow I was with games til this. I mean...really.

Date Played: 9.25.10
    Version: Diamond
    Player: Trippy
    Time: 5:45
    Badges: 1

Alex / Chinchou lv.18 (m)
    Volt Absorb
    - Water Gun
    - Waterfall
    - Confuse Ray
    - Thunder Wave

") / Tyrogue lv.13 (m)
    Guts
    - Tackle
    - Fake Out
    - Foresight
    - Helping Hand

Didn't take me long to realize that this was my abandoned random challenge, because there is no way I would have picked these Pokemon from my own free will. Oh, I also had a Turtwig named AAAAAAAAAA for a Rock Smasher. But I think I was there trying to get a Drifloon. Should have started a day sooner, would have made this a lot easier. Anyway, took me HOURS to get through the forest. Alex was egg hatched luckily, but ") was traded and wouldn't listen. So battles with him took forever, and as usual, I mooch off Cheryl's healing to grind level in there. ") evolved into Hitmonchan at 20 and at that point, I was done training him til the next badge. I caught a Ponyta (Epona) to help with that. Grinding her to level 16 was a pain as well, but worth it for that Ember. Then Alex pwned Saturn's face. :D No help from other team members at all...but my little powerhouse still didn't manage to evolve. :(

End Status:
    Spoiler:

Tomorrow (technically today) will be a pain in the arse. FireRed on my day off from school and band. So I literally have all day to play my least favorite game...that's just great. :(

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Okay, yesterday's progress :

Pokemon Blue - Abandoned Nuzlocke
    Play time : 23:43 >_>'
    Progress : Fuchsia City HMs and Koga
    Levels gained on each Pokemon : 3
    Pokemon at the end of the day :
    Spoiler:

Well, before, it was basically the same thing, except for them being 2-3 levels lower. I now abandoned Nuzlocke, meaning it is just a normal playthrough :

Fatass - Snorlax
    The Queen - Nidoqueen
    Charking - Charizard
    Zappyshock - Jolteon
    Dr. Peck - Fearow
    Gyara - Gyarados

And that's about it.
    Day 2 - Pokemon Crystal.

This was just an abandoned at which I fooled around with the Common Pokemon Challenge. I shall post later, since now I am in the middle of Union Cave.

Years
    Hm, since Scramble has popped up again and I used to like that one, I might as well switch Platinum from Nuzlocke (since I have 2 of them otherwise) to Scramble... Especially since it has a much higher variety of Pokemon available.

Anyways, today is Leaf Green day (no pun intended). What a change from Green! Random movesets. Lets see how this will work out.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Blue, Crystal, Ruby, Yellow, Emerald, FireRed.

See this list ? It's now like this :

Blue, Crystal, Ruby, Yellow, Emerald, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold, FireRed (actual cartridge), SoulSilver, PMD : EoS, Pokemon Ranger SoA, Silver, LeafGreen.

So, let's assign each games except for PMD and Ranger a challenge

Blue - Nothing
    Crystal - (some sort of) Common Pokemon Challenge
    Ruby - Water Monotype
    Yellow - Nuzlocke
    Emerald - Fire Monotype
    FireRed - Scramble
    Platinum - Favorite
    HeartGold - [hub of Pokemon Battling, Trading and Pokedex needs]
    FireRed (cartridge) - Survival Challenge
    SS - Normal Monotype
    Silver - none
    LeafGreen - Grass Monotype

Some have none as challenges to avoid boredom.
    Also, it's almost time for me to go to sleep and I had no time to play Crystal today ! :< I might not even be able to do it tomorrow, but I'll try.

I HATE U LIFE, DIEE

I made a small change : my FR cartridge is now a Survival one !

Last edited:

Arnold

...?
    Years
    I'll start this since I have a lot of my games (and challenges) just sitting there. It might take me long but I need a good grasp with what was previously done. Some have already been completed so with a random list generator and a few rearrangements with consecutive games, I came up with...

Spoiler:

Crystal-Ice Monotype

FireRed-None

Diamond-None

Blue-Scramble Challenge

Emerald-Class Challenge

Red-Random Pokemon

Sapphire-Word Challenge

Yellow-Nuzlocke

Gold-Solo Run (Cloyster)

Strangely enough, I created a pattern between the Generation I Kanto games and the Hoenn games that I have all of which are ROMS. I'll be slow but I'll try to keep up.

Last edited:
    Years
    Spoiler:

I didn't get really far today, because I still had stuff for school to do - and I didn't even get that done, I always got distracted with something else after a few minutes. This seems to happen to me all the time.
    Anyways...

Pokemon LG: Random Movesets
    Play time: 1:31
    Progress: Assembled my team and grinded a bit
    Pokemon at the end of the day:
    Spoiler:

Tomorrow I probably won't get much done either, school is going to be loooong.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Date Played: 9.26.10
    Version: FireRed
    Player: Jes
    Time: 5:23
    Badges: 1

Poppers / Wartortle (m) lv.23
    Torrent
    - Water Gun
    - Bite
    - Mega Punch
    - Withdraw

Sakaka / Nidorina (f) lv.20
    Poison Point
    - Poison Sting
    - Scratch
    - Tail Whip
    - Double Kick

Big Nose / Metapod (f) lv.7
    Shed Skin
    - Harden
    - Tackle
    - String Shot

So I was in the middle of Nugget Bridge, with Sakaka (Nidorina) and Poppers (Wartortle). And I had a Metapod and Kakuna, Big Nose and Smoker respectively. I see what this is. My abandoned Let's Play. Anyway, I decided to box Smoker and train up Big Nose. So we all made it to Bill's house, looked at Eeveelutions and completely smashed Misty. Then we went on doooown to Vermilion and beat everyone on the boat and all those people on the power lines, including the man that never loses and the man that never wins. I went and caught a Diglett (FootFetish) in Diglett's Cave since I figured I'd die hard (no movie reference intended) if I went without. Managed to make it almost completely through Rock Tunnel, but I just could not take this game any longer. The best part of this game? The speed was amazing compared to yesterday's Diamond and even better was that the only levels I gained were from trainer/gym battles and wild Pokemon that I ran into by surprise. No running in the grass purposely grinding at all. Interesting note: rival's name was Im gay. Yeeeeah. Moving on...

End status:
    Spoiler:

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    I'll do my games in a Random order, so I'll start with HG! (I did this yesterday)
    I was in Falkners gym,after beating her/him. Now I'm in Morty's gym, after beating him. Team: Quilava,Slugma,Magmar,Eevee,Growlithe,Ponyta+ a Boxed Magby Only a brief update since you can read about it in more detail on the Monotypoe challenge thread.
    Badges:4
    Time: Who carez?I can't be bothered to record time,if I have to I'll do it on my Platinum which I'll be doing today, after (boring) School.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Yesterday I forgot to update joy...
    Heart Gold/Violet City
    Before
    :t156: Lvl 16 Ember,Quick Attack,Tackle,Leer

Spend the day Rock Smashing how wonderfull

:t156: Lvl 16 Ember,Quick Attack,Tackle,Leer