• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pika's spriting work!

Pikalover10

I'M BACK!
    Years
    These are some of my pieces of work. I would like C+C so I can improve, cuz I'm kind of thinking about making a shop once I improve:)

Examps:
    TCs:
    Spoiler:

misc:
    Spoiler:

please use C+C and don't go overboard telling me that they suck...also more sprites to come soon!!:):)

Kayouri

Banned
    Years
    Just remember this, always save as PNG. JPEG's quality sucks. As I read somewhere PNG=PwNaGe yah. Some parts of your custom balls look to Copy-Pasteish. I'm looking forward to seeing your sprites.

Pikalover10

I'M BACK!
    Years
    Thanks guys...Yeah the TCs are tmeplates I found online, I jsut customized em...Anyway here are some more:

Pika's spriting work!
    They are siamese twins I got bored so I made these guys...

Pika's spriting work!
    Avys I got bored so I made em...I know thye aren't the cool graphicy ones that ppl make on photoshop but I got bored so...

Years
    That isn't spriting. I suppose the pokeballs could be considered spriting to some extent, but.. still. I assume you went to that awful misleading "how to sprite" website.

First of all, you broke one of the most important rules of spriting by saving as a JPEG, and then you went and did it AGAIN after it was pointed out to you. DON'T do it, really. We aren't just joking when we say that.

Avatars: Not spriting. At all. The outline is the closest thing to a sprite in those, and I never understood why that awful tutorial was on that site. They're cutouts from TCG cards, with a tiny bit of text in a horrible font slapped onto them.

Siamese twins: Still not really spriting. It breaks another of the rules of spriting: don't copy/flip. They take absolutely no skill or work at all.. and this is coming from someone who defends recoloring as taking some amount of skill. :\

I never understood pokeballs or eggs. WHY would they have parts of the pokemon sticking out? I could understand recoloring, maybe some people would like to paint the outsides of their pokeballs for decoration or so that they could tell them apart from each other.

These trainer cards aren't really spriting, either, nor are they put together very well. The names are off-center, as are the pokemon, and the spriting style of the trainer sprite and pokemon conflicts with that of the background.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but.. Why not try some recolors or something? Remember to save as PNG. :D

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    I am not a good spriter myself, but I looked at so much sprites (yes, MUCH) to know what spriting is.

DO NOT SAVE AS .JPEG/.JPG. It totally rapes the quality, and I've been reading so much about it so many times on the forums.

Pika's spriting work!

What the... You just copied and flipped the thing and then stuck the thing together! Do you even know what spriting is?

The trainer cards... No, just no. That's not spriting. You just made some place into a background and slapped some sprites THAT WERE NOT MADE BY YOU on it.

Pika's spriting work!

What the heck is this?! OK, you actually did sprite and recoloured the Poke Ball, but you just copy-pasted the body parts of a Pokemon onto it! NO!!! Spriting is not just like that! Spriting requires you to do some scratching, and so on... And you saved as .jpeg again!

And what's with adding Pokemon parts to a Pokeball anyway? Yes, it is art, but it makes the Pokeball really strange and such. But some people still would repaint their ball, like Kenji just said... And does anyone ever think that it heavies the Pokeball's weight? Mou...

Pika's spriting work!

No, just no... This isn't spriting at all! Don't you read the rules or something?! And wait, don't go just yet! You saved this as .jpeg, didn't you?! Someone told you not to already!

---

So far, I am not exactly happy with what you made. Perhaps you should do recolouring or revamps/devamps? It would suit your style well, seeing how you pulled your skill off in recolouring. Try that, it's fun. If you practise more, you'd make a really good spriter.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Harsh but so true...XD
    As everyone has already said, dont save as JPEG under ANY circumstances. Save as PNG. JPEG ruins the quality!
    Secondly, not only are the siamese twins Pokemon just flipped images, whats the thing above the Dewdong o_O

Not saying you cant make good Trainer Cards on Paint (you can) but unless you are really good with Paint, then it will be hard to do. Not only that, but yours just looks like you got one from the resources, went to PE2K (or some other website), got some sprites and just pasted them on. (No offence.)

Next time, try actually spriting. Try some recolours, splices...maybe some revamps...then when you improve, try posting again. Remember, PNG is your friend ;)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I have never being so proud of the community.

People are, dare I say it, ACTUALLY criticizing on a wide scale.

Thank you OP, your cunning plan to fix the community has worked.

But seriously, I don't know what to say other than to follow up from kenji and tell you to never, ever visit that piss poor freewebs site again, as it's the pixel art equivalent of catching AIDS.

I thought I'd never say this, but maybe you should look at some recolouring or something.

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
    Years
    I´m not trying to change your mind, but you overreacted a bit.
    Most of the people here open threads, because they WANT critics.
    As you may know, your sprites are not perfect. Heck, only about 5 % of all sprites here are (almost) perfect. If you don´t want critics, say so in your new thread. But without crit you will improve very slowly.

But hey, it´s your decission.
    Hope to see your improvement someday.
    Until then,
    Salute

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I'm glad to see you've decided to keep spriting, there's nothing wrong with doing fusions and recolours when you're new to spriting, just please, please avoid that freewebs site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikalover10

I'M BACK!
    Years
    yeah...ok I will...there's a few things on there though that's kind of good. Like the glowing Pokemon and the trophys, but that's about it:)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    ok...I overreacted a lot...I didn't mean to and so I'll keep this open, but I'll only do recouloring and fusions...

No those really aren't good. They're not spriting, they're a joke.

Avoid that site at all costs.

Back