• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Duel #1: Chesu vs Froslass_Maniac

Whose sprite do you vote for?

• Chesu

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Froslass_Maniac

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Pixel Art Duel #1
Chesu vs. Froslass_Maniac

Introduction

Welcome! This thread is to vote for who you think should win this duel. Whose pixels are more impressive than the others? You decide!

Rules

1. No voting for yourself.

2. When voting, you must include comments on why you voted for the specific sprite. Criticism is very much accepted as well.

3. Don't be harsh on sprites, this is for fun after all!

Contestants

Theme:
Three Sprite Amalgamation

Chesu:
duel1.png

Spoiler:

Froslass_Maniac:
dusrim_by_froslassmaniac-d32wg6b.png

Spoiler:

Winner

And the winner is:
Chesu with his Calabash and amazing 11 point lead!
duel1.png

Last edited:
Years
I vote for Chesu. It is very difficult to identify the Pokémon incorporated in the sprite, it looks clean, and if the face was a bit more interesting, I think it could pass off as a pretty decent fakemon that I would have on my team. edit Actually, found a slight error. It's not going to change my vote, but regardless, the lower part of the body's light is coming from the bottom left, whereas the head and most of the rest of the sprite comes from the top left.

As for Frosslass Maniac's sprite, it is very good, however the head is too messy and not very readable, the lower part of the body lacks shading, and the parts are rather recognisable (admittably I didn't see Leperdas, but that's only because I'm unfamilar with the Generation Five Pokémon). Don't get me wrong, it's a good sprite, but unfortunately not good enough.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Man, this one is pretty tough to be honest. I love the concept of Frosglass' but it seems to be a tad untidy in places. It just feels as if great effort was put into the head, and yet the body merely lacks in detail and originality. There's also the issue with colour choices here, I dislike how the garment is the same colour as the blade, seems rather short sighted. Too little colours at any rate, it consists of grey and white primarily with a dash of red, there's room for one more. Pretty cool sprite, just has some mistakes and lack of deep sight.

As for Chesu's, other than the head I found it pretty hard to decipher which parts were from what Pokémon until I checked. However it is a more solid sprite, though I think it's a little strange, the feet feel slightly odd. However, it's sprited more professionally. I think in general there is lack of detail, a mouth wouldn't have been so bad. At any rate, it's a cleaner and more solid sprite so it gets my vote in this one.

Also I'd like to thank Logiedan for contributing once again to Competitions with the Pixel Art events, just as Spherical Ice has, both of you are an asset to the sections, both Pixel Art and Competitions, so just keep up the good work. You have my support boys.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I actually left the shading on Torchic's head and Psyduck's torso mostly untouched, since they were basically in the same pose and looked to be shaded in a similar manner. If you compare the heads and bodies of the original sprites, you'll see what I mean:

duel2.png

It's understandable that the finished product is a bit visually confusing... It's a Calabash (bottle gourd) with Haniwa-like features (think Baltoy, or the Gyroids from Animal Crossing). I guess it's hard to identify without looking closely, but what I was going for is that it has a vine sprouting from its head, which then branches out into several vines. Two of its vines end in leaves, which are supposed to be its arms, but that got kind of obscured when I added more vines. It has dried leaves sticking out of its underside, because... Well, some squashes just have 'em.

edit: For the record, this uses GBA sprites, and was done in the GBA style, including shading and such.

Last edited:
Years
I'm going for Chesu.
He made a simple pixel, colour's flow in good, and the result came out fine.
I think the face could use a little bit more detail, but okay.
And I prefer the old skool gba style

Frosslass sprite is nice, not bad, he went for more detail, which I like.
To bad the shading could use alot of work, and the face looks abit chunky/messy.\

~c

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
I'm going for Chesu.
He made a simple pixel, colour's flow in good, and the result came out fine.
I think the face could use a little bit more detail, but okay.
And I prefer the old skool gba style

Frosslass sprite is nice, not bad, she went for more detail, which I like.
To bad the shading could use alot of work, and the face looks abit chunky/messy.\

~c

Ya... I over-used the cracks... And after that I got confused over the rest of the body on shading... :')

Years
I'm going with Chesu on this one. The mask of Froslass' sprite feels out of place and like Abnegation said, the blade was the same colour as the body which I disliked and it ended up making it a bit difficult to see if it was a scythe's blade.

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
I vote for Chesu!
Reason:
In Chesu's sprite, I couldn't tell what Pokemon were used. However, in Froslass_Maniac's sprite, I could cleary see Duskull was used. I could clealy see Duskull because of the tuft on the head. Also, in Froslass_Maniac's sprite, the left hand seems to be not attached to the arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back