• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Duel #3: Chesu vs. Logiedan

Whose sprite do you vote for?

• Chesu

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Logiedan

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Pixel Art Duel #3
    Chesu vs. Logiedan

Introduction

Welcome! This thread is to vote for who you think should win this duel. Whose pixels are more impressive than the others? You decide!

Rules

1. No voting for yourself.

2. When voting, you must include comments on why you voted for the specific sprite. Criticism is very much accepted as well.

3. Don't be harsh on sprites, this is for fun after all!

Contestants

Theme:
    Repose of an official Pokémon Sprite

Chesu
    duel3.png

Smeargle

Logiedan
    15cinw0.jpg

Mogurew

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    I love logiedan's because it looks really realistic, and looks very similar to the original sprite. It looks like mogurew's orginal, but with a more serious expression. Love it.

The smeargle was great, but the reason why I didn't vote for it goes to the body, because the angle it's head is turning and the way the body turns doesn't match. Smearg is also too tall. The hands didn't appeal to me, compared to the original, and the tail looked to stiff. It needs more bends.

Great job, both of you!

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • The tail's supposed to be stiff, since Smeargle's using it to get the proportions of its subject. The tail is more bendy in a lot of the sprites because Smeargle is swinging it. ;)

I don't really get what you mean about the body, but it's my least favorite aspect as well. Most of the sources I found show Smeargle as having round hips though, so...

edit: Wow, that Mogurew is good! I don't sprite in the DS style so have never taken a close look at any of the newer sprites.

Last edited:

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    The tail's supposed to be stiff, since Smeargle's using it to get the proportions of its subject. The tail is more bendy in a lot of the sprites because Smeargle is swinging it. ;)

I don't really get what you mean about the body, but it's my least favorite aspect as well. Most of the sources I found show Smeargle as having round hips though, so...

edit: Wow, that Mogurew is good! I don't sprite in the DS style so have never taken a close look at any of the newer sprites.

Yes, but the tail, even if it's painting, should still have a curve, because... Well base smeargle on a human. If you paint on canvas, your arm forms a 90 degree angle. But your hand, it will be bent downwards. If you are attempting to paint naturally (Not stiff, you know, with the limbs loose.), you hand will go up and down. Either way there is a curve ;). And i'm quite sure that the rough hips would look better if smeargle was bending forward. :D. Nice job again.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • After looking at both fairly extensively, I went with Chesu's. The pose is great, and execution wise it's wonderful. Logedien's was right there as well in my opinion, but Chesu's pose really gave character to Smeargle.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • If you paint on canvas, your arm forms a 90 degree angle. But your hand, it will be bent downwards. If you are attempting to paint naturally (Not stiff, you know, with the limbs loose.), you hand will go up and down. Either way there is a curve ;).

I don't really follow, but I think there's a misunderstanding. The Smeargle isn't supposed to be painting, it's supposed to be... Let me find an example.
    images

...For some reason, this is all I could find. Ho hum. You hold your pencil or paint brush at arm's length, and use it and your thumb to gauge the proportions of your subject's body. That's what Smeargle is doing.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i'm no "pixel artist" and i dont browse this section too often but i figure i still have a valid opinion

i chose chesu's because the pose is creative and well thought out, and of course very suitable for an artistic little pokemon. something kind of puts me off about the posture, but the painter impression is cute and expressive enough for me to forget about it. and chesu, you've got a knack for very accurate shadowing, which i find impressive in pixel work.

logiedan's sprite is very good, too, although i feel his notable cheerful look could have been maneuvered in the piece and his arms utilized to create a more unique position. mogurew's structure is pretty basic, i just feel you could have done more with it. chesu seemed to be at a slight disadvantage seeing as he had to fit more anatomical features into a small area, yet he managed to connote more expression.

well sorry if i'm taking this too seriously :s all in all, i'm impressed with both works :o3 great job guys

Last edited:

monkeybard

boop
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Apr 14, 2023
    I went for Logiedan's Mogurew. Its right hand looks a bit out of proportion but the whole sprite is aesthetically pleasing and the sprite's been executed well.

What really pushed me off Chesu's Smeargle is actually the pose, the body and limbs added together makes Smeargle look too tall and a bit out of character, as in most sprites/official art Smeargle is shown relaxed and bending his legs. Chesu's pose all together looks a bit stiff, with a lot of straight-looking lines and not as many curves as a Smeargle usually would. And the stiff tail would be better if the bend didn't happen so early, as at the moment it looks a bit unnatural. The shading and idea is all good though 8D

-♪

Years
  • Technically speaking I feel like they're too close to pick one over the other. I'm voting for Chesu's Smeargle though because I really like it's 'action pose' showing it doing its thing. It's the more daring repose, I think. I'm not completely sold on the straight tail, but that's not enough to bother me. Logiedan's Mogurew does feel more similar to the official sprite in terms of proportions and such, but like I said, I've been won over by the more divergent sprite.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah I've gotta go with Logiedan's here. The mess of a tail on Chesu's and some really bad shading (His left foot :/) put me off it

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023

And the winner is...

Logiedan!
    Logiedan's repose of Mogurew wins this duel! It won most votes over and had a 8 point lead.
    15cinw0.jpg

Congratulations!​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back