• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixels of Smash

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
Years
  • Pixels of Smash (!)

Hovering your mouse?

I dare you to come in and crit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, im Smash, wielder of the x1 brush tool from MS paint. Thought I'd share some of my recent spritework, which is a better alternative than letting them all rot on my folder.

I can pixel everything from 8-bit to textures, but recently, the priority has been on pokemon overworlds, and my efforts to create a style to replace the original ones, especially the horrid D/P style. Crits to these ones would be apreciated twice as much.

Well, here we go:

PhotobucketUpld-1809.png

Spoiler:

Overworlds and tiles:

Spoiler:

More pokemon stuff:

Spoiler:

More.

Spoiler:

1st and 2nd gen spritework:

Spoiler:

Well, that'd be it for now. Perhaps I could post some of my non-pokemon related stuff (which this is nothing in comparison), but thatd be later. As of now, feedback would be nice.

Also, don't be afraid to ask; you can feel free to use them, as long as you notify first.

Last edited:

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • do you take requests?
    i'd be willing to make you a signature tag or something in return.
    Only if I like what they request from me.

Other than that, I used to, but im awfully unreliable and lazy, which is why most to all attempts of requesting me end in failure, and as a result, NO, I don't take any requests nowadays.

If anyone had a chance of getting me to sprite for them, they'd have to have good concepts or ideas, and be lucky to have me notice them.
    It has happened before here on PC, btw: (Pokemon Uranium)

PhotobucketUpld-367.png
    PhotobucketUpld-1344.png

fuznug

Hacker In Training
    Years
  • Wow quite amazing, i was wondering if you had any ideas on putting your new style of red on a bike? i would attempt it but thats not really my forte. Other than that i find your work quite amazing, its such a fresh look to the series, i would love to see more cuz i would absolutely love having these in any of my rom work. Also, i think the first gen sprites would look so sick inserted hahaha, good work.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Really epic shading, you create some awesome 3d effects with your shading. The only things I don't like are the skinnier OWs. The short, minimalistic, OW sprites in the Pokémon games is what keeps the popularity and the nostalgia of the games graphics.
    I'm loving the tiles and the large Pokémon sprites though.

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
  • The only things I don't like are the skinnier OWs.

Really? I thought they were gorgeous, I would even love that style to be used in game. I wanted to say earlier that these sprites are truly beautiful.

I know you're looking for CC, but I just ain't the picky type. D: They're so damn beautiful.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • wow the feraligater and milotic could be digimon very very detailed and look, well perfect well done (:

Ayselipera

Wow! I really like your style. Especially your Milotic. Very nice job!
    The only thing that seems odd is the overworld characters. They seem to be a little too stretch out and long.

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
  • Way to go! Awesome sprites.

Not very classic Pokémon, but I love it! The shading is simply fantastic! You are really skilled at making realistic sprites.

By the way, the world map is very creative!

By all means keep it up!

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I should mention something about my OWs btw. The tallness and skinyness are all 100% intentional, as I am trying to forge a new style for pokemon, with something that I believe the series ignored once the newer games came with no 16x16 limitations: Proportions. It's just a detail to make them look more natural-looking. ; )

This might mean that they'd have to be on a different, more elevated type of tileset though, but that's precisely why I made shrunk versions of them, to be used in advance games. (see Red shrunk animations)

Edit: An update is on it's way.

Lady Gaga: Sure.

Last edited:

fuznug

Hacker In Training
    Years
  • I inserted the hiro gen 2 into gold, it looks so awesome. it actually made me want to learn how to hack gold so i can include any of your future tiles and npc's.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I inserted the hiro gen 2 into gold, it looks so awesome. it actually made me want to learn how to hack gold so i can include any of your future tiles and npc's.
    That's the reason I started making them lol. I got this urge to play Gold some time back, and then saw all these tools like TLP and Agixp.. Made some sprites to test them out, hah.

Speaking of which.. (Update)

PhotobucketUpld-972.png

Made 10 more
    In order: Old woman, old man, girl 1, girl 2, boy 1(campers, youngsters), boy 2(pokemaniacs, psychics), cooltrainer, regular trainer, Claire and Rival.

PhotobucketUpld-1199.png

And also, while going through my gold tool-testing experimenting playthrough, I decided to make new backsprites for some of my party pokes, all because the old ones looked meh. (originals are first vertical row below the line)

Small update, I think.. I'll post non-pokeman related stuff then.

PhotobucketUpld-1440.png

Just a small mockup of mine. Scratched out of a Mario fangame idea that im developing.

..C+C?

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • I am flowing with jealousy right about now XD

Ok for time for some crit~
    First of all I think you spent a immense amount of time on the background which is good, but mario seem a bit too small. I think of mario of kinda a plump impish plumber. This one seems a bit skinny and not as much cartoon-y but it is still very good. next I kinda have a problem with the mountains I don't know if you wanted them this way or not but they look way too flat compared to the backround. Here's a suggestion maybe but a bit more of enamy's or pipe's since Im assuming this is a mario fan game. It just looks very plain.
    Anyways I think you did a great job on this and I cant wait to see you finish this lil' project of yours.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    your the best spriter I have ever seen! I agree with Chibi Robo, I'm also flowing with jealousy . You know, your big, awesome pokemon should be used in a game called MUGEN, where you can create characters and place them into a Marvel vs. Capcom styled game.

fuznug

Hacker In Training
    Years
  • That's the reason I started making them lol. I got this urge to play Gold some time back, and then saw all these tools like TLP and Agixp.. Made some sprites to test them out, hah.

Speaking of which.. (Update)

PhotobucketUpld-972.png

Made 10 more
    In order: Old woman, old man, girl 1, girl 2, boy 1(campers, youngsters), boy 2(pokemaniacs, psychics), cooltrainer, regular trainer, Claire and Rival.

im gonna insert all these if you dont mind, they look soooo awesome. I love the fresh air you breath into thes almost 10 year old games. (G/S). Thanks for making me strive for some new goals.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Bumpdate.

PhotobucketUpld-2384.png

First is me, for avi. Im thinking on using the template for a Link sprite.

Then on the second row, there's Tyranitar for avi, and a Ness lineart I did like a year ago now revamped.. Considering on finishing it.

And last, Tyranitar back pose from GSC re-done. Process in the right.

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
  • Goodness, I love your sprites! You are excellent at shading, these are positively gorgeous! I"m afraid I can't really offer much C+C for your newest thing, since it's still a WIP and the proportions are great so far, but I really can't wait to see progression on it!

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Thanks. Progress will come, though it may be delayed for lack of free time.

Meanwhile..

PhotobucketUpld-1357.png

I made a lab. Still a sketch.. Im thinking on tiling it soon, once I get a good enough concept. C&C

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • That's smashtastic!

...Seriously though, I really like it. Why does it have the flat, over-hanging roofs, though? A design like that is just asking to get snowed on.

Back