• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pkmn HG&SS for DS or DSi?

Oblivion Reaper 2.0

Not Dead Yet
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Hell
    • Seen Jun 15, 2011
    Yes I have a DSi
    but I'v heard too many people saying that certain game mechcanics won't be there Because of the DSi
    Please stop this madness

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    While I don't want to have to buy a third one, at all. The DSi is just something I don't need, what with all the consoles I have... XD

Anyway, I don't think people will have to worry about the DS/DSi compatibility concerns, because if it does have DSi-based functions, they will probably just activate when the game is inserted into a DSi console. While in the DS, that door will just be closed. I'm hoping, at least. I honestly would lose hope in Nintendo, if they started forcing fans to buy an entirely new console, just to both sell the console and the game. Though I wouldn't put it past them...

Companies + Additional Features that require a new console = $$$

Nintendo did just that when Ruby and Sapphire was released because those games were in no way compatible with the first two gens, although I do think that Gamefreak could've made the Pokemon from RBY/GSC into eggs or a similar process when they transferred to the GBA games. Then when they hatch or are reformatted, the Pokemon you loved and trained would be intact , albeit it being readjusted to Gen 3 specs and given a personality. Since they did nothing to accomplish compatibility between,the old and the new, many fans left.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I doubt they'll lose too many fans though even if these remakes includr DSi features. I mean the amount of people who wanted this to happen, I would doubt leave because of a few features that can't tap into.

Pingouin_7

I believe they will just release it as a regular DS game because Pokemon usually releases games out when the next system already came out. For example, Crystal Version came out in 2001 when the Game Boy Advance was out in 2001 and Emerald Version came out in 2005 when the DS was already out in 2004.

Why should they have made Crystal on the GBA and Emerald on the DS?

Anyway, I don't think people will have to worry about the DS/DSi compatibility concerns, because if it does have DSi-based functions, they will probably just activate when the game is inserted into a DSi console. While in the DS, that door will just be closed.

See the Advance shop in Zelda Oracle of Ages and Zelda Oracle of Seasons.

Last edited:

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
    People are getting rather worked up about this. The DSi hasn't been out for very long, so chances are it will not be DSi exclusive. Nintendo aren't stupid, they would make a loss if possibly their most popular game of the year wasn't being bought because most of their user base was still using DS/DSlite. At the very most, there will perhaps be some way of utilising the camera functions, but since Pokémon is aimed at kids, I doubt it will be anything to do with wi-fi, net safety 'n all that jazz.

Basically, stop worrying.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    People are getting rather worked up about this. The DSi hasn't been out for very long, so chances are it will not be DSi exclusive. Nintendo aren't stupid, they would make a loss if possibly their most popular game of the year wasn't being bought because most of their user base was still using DS/DSlite. At the very most, there will perhaps be some way of utilising the camera functions, but since Pokémon is aimed at kids, I doubt it will be anything to do with wi-fi, net safety 'n all that jazz.

Basically, stop worrying.

More than likely it will have some things dealing with WiFi. Though, the game, as you said, won't be based off for the DSi along, just maybe have a few features for it, so it can promote the sales of the DSi.

Dragonsprout

Heart and Soul...
    Years
    It is not going to be a DSi exclusive. A DSi is just a DS with much fancier features and no GBA slot, which mean that DS game will work perfectly on DS/Lites and DSis. Notice that I said DS games, not DSi games, because up to now, the "NINTENDO DS" logo is on all the games released even though the DSi is out.

They'll probably make you buy an add-on, if you have a DSi, to unlock features.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    ^ I agree with the post above, though I'm not too sure about the add-ons.

Years
    Yeah it better work for both.
    I have my original DS and don't plan to waste my money on that DSi crap.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah it better work for both.
    I have my original DS and don't plan to waste my money on that DSi crap.

Most likely it will, because Nintendo won't want to afford losing money like that. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    Chances are its for normal DS. If nothing else, it may feature DSi extras like the GBC Zelda Oracles games where there was a special shop if the game was played on a GBA.

Dragonsprout

Heart and Soul...
    Years
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]The fact that the DSi has a faster processor and 16 MB of RAM will be the sole reasons DSi-based games can't work on standard DS or DS Lite systems.[/S-HIGHLIGHT] Research the facts before making stupid claims like that.

If the games have DSi compatibility, as I've stated in this forum many times before, there will be features that are only enabled when the game is played on the DSi. Think along the lines of Mystery Gift not functioning on a Game Boy as opposed to the Game Boy Color.

Excuse me dude, but I didn't say that DSi-based games will work on the DS/Lite. I stated that DS games will work perfectly on DS/Lite and the DSi. Learn to read before saying people make stupid claims.

That means, if HGSS are DS-based games, they would work on any type of DS, regardless of having an "i" or not. Now if it was a DSi-based game, no way will they work on the old DS.

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah, well the new GSDS games are made for the DS, and it will be playable on all three DS systems [DS, DS Lite, and DSi] It isn't made specifically for the DSi, so that is out of the question.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    maybe the next generation of Pkmn will be on the Dsi

:t354:TG

I am thinking it would be on both DS and DSi because the only differences between them is that the DSi has a camera feature and no DS slot and a bit more things. The DS is almost the same thing as the DSi but just with less features which could cause some problems because the new games coming out might need those new features that the DSi has. Of course who knows what Nintendo is up to so we'll see what happens.

Pingouin_7

Trust me, they are going to make Heart Gold and Soul Silver DSi-enchanced games.

Just like in the old days, there were GB games, GBC-enchanced games and GBC-only games.

• Games like Pokémon Red/Blue and Zelda Link's Awakening were GB games.
    • Games like Pokémon Gold/Silver and Zelda Link's Awakening DX were GBC-enchanced games, since they worked on the original Game Boy, but when played on GBC's, they were in color and all.
    • Games like Pokémon Crystal and Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons were GBC-only games, they couldn't be played on the normal GB, only the GBC.

So, to me, D/P/Pt are DS games, HG/SS and many others are going to be DSi-enchanced games and other games that they're going to make are going to be DSi only.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    So, to me, D/P/Pt are DS games, HG/SS and many others are going to be DSi-enchanced games and other games that they're going to make are going to be DSi only.

This I don't agree with, because Nintendo knows they'll lose millions of dollars if they choose to have the new Johto remakes for the DSi only. The reason why is because it's still a new system on the market and not everyone has it as yet. So, Isee it for both systems and not only for th DSi.

Back