• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Planning a New Hack and Seeking Advice

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2019
    Hello,

this isn't my first foray into the PC forums (although I'm not sure if I've posted before or not... it's been far too long), or RomHacking in general, but I do come to you today with some 'nooby' questions. First and foremost: I'm looking for advice regarding which Generation III rom to hack. I'm planning a remake of the Kanto games, although I don't necessarily need to hack FireRed (although that is the obvious choice). For context that may inform your response, I'm currently planning to develop these features (or would like to at some point) for the hack: (I'd rather not use a rombase as it'll add many features I simply don't plan on making use of, thus wasting space)

- PSS - Concise Regional Dex of 243 mons with no need for a National Dex
    - BW Repel System - Game Corner
    - Growable Berries ala R/S/E - RTC with a Day/Night cycle
    - Battle Frontier - Pokémon World Tournament (as seen in BW/B2W2)
    - Wonder Trade
    - A Battle Cruise aboard the SS Anne similar to the Battle Cruise in BW/B2W2
    - An optional Contest League to complement the normal Pokémon League
    - An optional Little Cup League to complement the normal Pokémon League
    - An optional Doubles League to complement the normal Pokémon League

I'm aware that the listed features likely skew my choice towards Emerald, particularly because of my desire to add Pokémon Contests. I don't know anything about data limits within the Roms that may/may not impede/halt my efforts to add these features, although I have heard that FireRed has a larger map bank, multiple region maps, and more free space. Thanks in advance to any and all replies!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    First of all, I'd like to know if you have proper scripting understanding.
    About contests:

Do you mean the kind of contests where you win the colored ribbons like in Rse, or do you mean the ones like in Emerald Only where you can choose your Set of Pokemon?
    Currently I'm writing my own template scripts for Contests. I mean Scripted Trainerbattles like
    3 consecutive battles from a pool of 5 possible trainers. If you understand XSE you should not have any problems using/modifying it. I'm home in about 9 Hours I could give the script to you if you if you want.

About day and night cycles, there was a tutorial somewhere on this board that explains just this.
    Use the search function on that.

About your Rom choice,
    Emerald has more features like battle animations, battle Frontier ect but FireRed has way more blank space. If you don't want to reassemble the whole emerald Rom or expand it I highly suggest that you use FireRed.

About berries, I don't know any way how to use the clock system if there even is one In FireRed. So I won't think that it's possible to do it without proper ASM knowledge.

But for Berries in Fire Red you could write scripts that use Variables to determine which Berry it holds, and let the player receive the same berry multiple times later. That would be doable, if you need some Help or inspiration feel free to ask.

Back