• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    My cousin just let me borrow his platinum version. So any tips before I get started? Like what Pokemon should be my starter and which pokemon should I catch?

Grim Reminder

That guy who likes Poison Type
    Years
    Well although I generally prefer Fire type, I'd have to recommend Piplup here. It can learn Water type moves and some Ice type, so it can stand up to either other starter decently at least and then it gets Steel type upon evolving too so it'll fare well against a few other types. Heh, sorry to chat your ear off about just that ^-^; if you want any more of my ideas though PM me or contact me any way I guess. -thumbs up-

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    Piplup - always. You can catch a good Flying and Grass type early in the game (like Starly and Budew) and even an electric type.

Grim Reminder

That guy who likes Poison Type
    Years
    Piplup - always. You can catch a good Flying and Grass type early in the game (like Starly and Budew) and even an electric type.

So true. Staraptor is really good, Flying type with Close Combat? Count me in. Then Roserade is way worth it too.

P.S. I like your avatar and stuff Umbreon pwns.

Years
    hmm... Fire pokemon seem hard to find in Platinum. You could always trade in a fire type but if you can't I would recommend getting a fire type in the beginning. Water pokemon cannot be found early in the game so if you like water pokemon get one. If you like fire pokemon, get one. Turtwig is not a wise choice just because you can catch other grass pokemon in Platinum. Hope that helps ;)

Tiax

It's Show Time
    Years
    My cousin just let me borrow his platinum version. So any tips before I get started? Like what Pokemon should be my starter and which pokemon should I catch?

Chimchar, since he's practically the only fire type in the game. There are Ponyta and Houndour, but they just don't cut it for me... In my opinion, all of the starters are really good and will serve you well, but it's best to go with the type you see less in the game, so Chimchar's your best bet.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Catch Shinx ASAP. Especially if you choose Chimchar. And to harmonize with the rest on here: invest in a Starly.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I found that Buizel was really good; it knew Bite, and then when it evolved, it learned Crunch, so it was really useful against Fantina. It can learn both Surf and Waterfall, and it can also do some ice moves. (If you get a Heart Scale underground, you can take it to the Move Tutor and teach it Ice Fang, which is an awesome move.)

Shinx is also really good for very similar reasons. It's way better than Pachirisu, which I chose on my most recent game.

Budew is great for beating Roark. It's surprisingly strong.

As for the starters themselves, I'm not particularly fond of any of them, so I can't really say. ^^;;;

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks everyone. So here's the summary so far.
    Starter:Piplup now a Prinplup lvl 25
    Second: Shinx now a Luxio lvl 23
    Third: Ghastly lvl 20

I just passed Eterna Forest.
    Any good pokemon within the next 2 badges because these 3 are good for right now

Back