• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Player walking under a tile

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2022
    Hi, I'm making my first steps into rom hacking (in my case, FireRed), but I've already encountered lots of problems. For example, I'm trying to revamp Route 20 using the tileset from Icefall Cave, however I noticed that the player "walks under" these two tiles:

tile 1
    Player walking under a tile

tile 2 (yeah it's basically the same tile, but the opposite one)
    Player walking under a tile

Why do these two tiles cover the player sprite? How can I make the player walk over (not under) these tiles?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    so um
    this is going to be a really basic explanation ehehe

what's happening here is this, from an npc point of view it looks nicer in a code tag ok
    Code:
    upper tile layer
    character
    lower tile layer
    so, there are a few things you can do
    best method: set background behavior byte of the block to 20 or 22, whichever one is labelled in advancemap. this makes the specific block display differently
    Code:
    character
    upper tile layer
    lower tile layer
    second method: change movement permissions and add height to the specific tiles. this might cut off surf, though, so it actually is bad
    third method: add a new tile to combine the upper and lower layers. takes up possibly necessary space, so it's bad.

Back