• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Png? Gif? Jpg?

Tweak

:paranoid: i've been using gif most of the time until a year ago i started using jpg for movie caps. now i use png sometimes. what are some of the advantages of each of these file formats? @_@ all i kno is that gif loads fast and jpg saves space. png, the only thing i know about it is that the quality is better but it loads slow.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2019
    Ok heres the scoop. GIF is a proprietary format. JPEG I think is also a Propretary format. GIF was involved in this controversy by suing someone i dunno who for using it. Thats why the Open Source Community created PNG. GIF Sucks as far as quality goes since its only 256 colors. It however can be animated unlike jpg. JPEG quality can be compressed and it supports 32 bit color. There are some special features like progressive added to the format JPG. Most OS's can handle the old GIF and JPEG. Apples new MAC OS X cant handle GIF or JPEG(i dont remember which one) as far as opening it as a file goes.. But they can handle the format theyve been pressing which is TIFF. PNG has good quality, and it can be compressed so its kinda of better than JPEG. However, MS IE cant handle some of the features of PNG and so as far as webmaster experience goes its best to use JPEG and hope no one has the screwy AOL browser.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 27, 2009
    I used to use PNG for everything!:) I love png, but some people cant view them so i got rid of most of my png's(i think) but like on my top image you can really tell the quality is down(its gif now)

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
    Years
  • Id say try to use JPGs and GIFs for evreything.

JPG are nice looking and good quality.
    GIF are good for transparent images ^_^

PNGS take longer to load and AOL sometimes cant view them and they are huge

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Zapchu said:
    :paranoid: i've been using gif most of the time until a year ago i started using jpg for movie caps. now i use png sometimes. what are some of the advantages of each of these file formats? @_@ all i kno is that gif loads fast and jpg saves space. png, the only thing i know about it is that the quality is better but it loads slow.
    Use 8bit PNGs. If you need more than 8bits of color use 24bit PNGs. If the images are too big use JPGs (keep PNG copies of the orignals) as they will artifact the image to make it use less space.

Use gifs if you need to animate something. Gifs are the best choice until MNG is supported by web browsers (namely IE).

Btw, with PNGs, stay away from Alpha Transparency until IE has proper native support for it. There are two kinds of transparancy (I forgot the name of the other one) use the one that doesn't have Alpha in its name.

Atsuji said:
    Id say try to use JPGs and GIFs for evreything.

JPG are nice looking and good quality.
    GIF are good for transparent images ^_^

PNGS take longer to load and AOL sometimes cant view them and they are huge

Most of the time that is because they are using 32bit PNGs on an image with huge dimensions that only needs 8bits.

Last edited:
    Back