• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poké Academia

Shixyo

Nobody
Years
  • Hey all, I'm new to the community, but have lurked around for awhile, playing some notable rom hacks such as Life of Guardians, Ash Gray, and currently Liquid Crystal.

Anyways, I've been travelling a lot lately, so I've had loads of idle time in between flights. During one of my layovers, I thought of an idea for a rom hack that I'd like to do when I have time/see done, and thought I'd share my idea. I'd appreciate hearing some thoughts and opinions, especially on practicality, if you'll take the time to read. If there's any other romhacks that might be similar, please point me to them, and I'll give them a play. I'd like to see how I could do things differently.

Title: Poké Academia

Base Rom: Fire Red
    (I've come to understand that FR has the most readily available tools to hack?)

Introduction:

The famous Rosewood Academy for Pokémon trainers, beginners and seasoned alike, has once again begun sending invitations all over the globe to prospective talents. You, an aspiring trainer, are lucky enough to be invited. As you say goodbye to beloved friends and family, you are also excited at the prospect of the journey. What adventures await you?

Features (that I'd like to see/include):

- An entire story, taken place on a faraway island.
    - Join 1 of 3 dorms, Valor Red, Instinct Yellow, or Mystic Blue.
    - Go safari style to catch your very first Pokémon during a fieldtrip with your class.
    - Pokémon up to Gen 3 (Hoen) #ImreallynotinterestedinPokemonpastJohtotbh #thiscouldalwayschange
    - Progress through the storyline by participating in day-by-day based events. (End the night by sleeping in bed)
    - No Evil Team here, just delinquents who stand in your way.
    - Classes are mandatory! Learn and prepare yourself for a pop quiz or test minigame.
    - Keeping up with your grades nets you more popularity, and more privileges.
    - Gym battles are nonexistant. Instead, face off with the Honor Students, and the Class Reps.
    - Insead of the Elite 4, battle the Student Council, and their leader, the Class President.
    - Defeating the Class President and passing your final exam paves the way to graduation, no matter what year or dorm.

Character list:

(Don't make fun of me, I didn't really think out player names)

Adam (Male Player) - A starting trainer from the Kanto region, he receives an invitation to enroll in Rosewood Academy from Professor Oak. After answering a few questions from the enrollment office, he is officially accepted as a student of the Academy.

Eve (Female Player) - A starting trainer from the Kanto region, she receives an invitation to enroll in Rosewood Academy from Professor Oak. After answering a few questions from the enrollment office, she is officially accepted as a student of the Academy.

George - A bright trainer, he travelled all the way from the Unova region. He is a friendly student who helps those in need. Alongside his partner, Pikachu, he is a top contender among the 2nd years.

Yoshi - A 2nd year hailing from Johto. His mother is a locally renowned professor who had been asked to become the head librarian at the academy, allowing him to also attend. His partner of choice is a Cyndaquil. His dream is to become a world famous Pokémon Professor.

Joshua - A somewhat underwhelming 1st year student from Hoen, he is usually picked on. How he had arrived at the academy is a mystery. He and his partner, Magikarp, can be found most days fishing by the lake.

Anita - A quirky 3rd year, she's outgoing and likes to have fun, teasing everyone at any given chance. An enigmatic figure, not much is known about her or her Pokémon partner.

Tiffany - A 2nd year from Hoen, she is quiet as much as she is intelligent. Once befriended she wouldn't hesitate to come to your aid. Her partner is the ever-elusive Jirachi, which causes her to be the center of attention, more often than she'd like.

Tony - A 1st year from the Kanto region, his easy going nature makes it easy for him to befriend almost anyone. His Squirtle, however, is a bit mischievous.

Ravy - A promising 1st year from Johto. He previously lived in Cianwood, and trained rigorously with the gym leader, Chuck. He dreams of opening his own gym, alongside his partner Machoke, that would rival the fighting gym in Kanto's Saffron City.

End note:
    If you've read through this, then you're a real trooper. This is heavily inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Duel Academy for GBA, as well as team references from Pokémon GO for Android/Apple iOS. If there's anything else I should be considering, or anything that feels unclear, please don't hesitate to ask!

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2017
    like the safari style field trip to capture your first pokemon... is there a reserve/backup pokemon if you don't succeed or are you basically given a masterball and let to wander until you find what you want?

not getting a clear idea of the map involved... will the academy be its own island (like a campus, different buildings getting unlocked through progression) or will it be a new building on an existing map (like Vermilion City's construction was finally finished)... think there was a ranger game started with an academy setting (think shadows of almia)

interested by the test/popularity system... this would be unlocking new areas or getting new items? sounds like it offers chance for branching story lines, which can get complicated fast...

course, when talking about battling in a school, i remember Baka to Testo or Kill-La-Kill... may be funny to have the remedial classes by tetsujin Nishimura-type...

Back