• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Acanthite – The GSC Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
Years
  • Hush yourself.

Charlie and his team are working toward releasing the demo. Nobody has the right to complain, seeing as they are all working on the game in their free time, which is kind of limited to people with any form of a life. They don't get paid or get any material gain from their work, nor do they ask for it. They do this as a hobby and try to make the game great for you to play, so stop being ungrateful. I don't know about the others, but I know Charlie has little free time these days because he has a job, friends and a girlfriend that he spends his limited time with, not just Acanthite.

And also, if you feel like complaining, try and make something at least half as good as Acanthite already is beforehand. If you can't, keep quiet and keep your annoying opinions to yourself.

1. Yea I agree with the free time thing, stuff consumes it up quite a bit and it is hard to find time for something.
    2. I'm grateful that anyone is trying to make a Pokemon game and this one has a very good story :)
    3. The game InMosseWeTrust is working on(Hall Of Fame) is better than this game for the simple fact they have a demo(A couple I think) and they actually have screenshots, would it be so time consuming for one of the makers to go onto the game and snap a few and upload and then put in the 1st post for us all to see ?

Overall this game had me excited when I 1st read the thread but now after waiting a few mere months I'm bored of waiting, I'll check in every now and then but I don't expect anything from it :(

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Well, actually, Acanthite has screenshots. You just have to sniff 'm out, you know. :O
    Like this for example: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2217661&highlight=screenshot#post2217661 And I know there are many, many more. :3
    That Acanthite is one of the most expected games is not just based on rumors, you know? :3
    And for a Demo, Fangking Omega has stated a few times that he does not want to give a half-done demo. He had one before and he stated that it was bad and therefor it wasn't even right to be called an Acanthite demo.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    3. The game InMosseWeTrust is working on(Hall Of Fame) is better than this game for the simple fact they have a demo(A couple I think) and they actually have screenshots, would it be so time consuming for one of the makers to go onto the game and snap a few and upload and then put in the 1st post for us all to see ?

I would disagree. Screenshots don't mean anything, a lot of the time. I think this project is leaps and leaps and bounds and bounds better. There's no question.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • And the problem is, if I show too many screenshots (and there have been many over the years), I've given too much away. And there needs to be surprises. The game is in a good state except for the lack of design progress.

blueguy

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    And the problem is, if I show too many screenshots (and there have been many over the years), I've given too much away. And there needs to be surprises. The game is in a good state except for the lack of design progress.

Although to be quite honest, it can be rather discouraging. The demo has been promised for quite a long time, and I, and a lot of other people, are beginning to wonder if it will ever be released. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, though. ;D

~DarkAchu~

Shady Character Lurking Around
    Years
  • WOW this game looks AMAZING i cannot wait for a demo im keeping my fingers crossed for a demo soon.

P.s i just LOVE the fakemon they are the best ive seen yet

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
    Years
  • And the problem is, if I show too many screenshots (and there have been many over the years), I've given too much away. And there needs to be surprises. The game is in a good state except for the lack of design progress.

I can see how some would give it away but say one from inside the Poke Center or on a few of the routes and maybe a couple buidlings in a city, it wouldn't be too much to ask and I doubt it would give that much away :)

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    This describes how I feel right now:
    "There will be a lot of great things in this game!"
    Like what?
    "It's a surprise!"
    OK. I'll just wait patiently.
    -THREE YEARS LATER-
    Any updates on the game you keep talking about?
    "No."
    Why?
    "Because my spriters ditched me..."
    So you've been promising us all this time about your game, how great it would be, and whatnot but you have absolutely nothing to show for it?

Charlie and his team are working toward releasing the demo. Nobody has the right to complain, seeing as they are all working on the game in their free time, which is kind of limited to people with any form of a life. They don't get paid or get any material gain from their work, nor do they ask for it. They do this as a hobby and try to make the game great for you to play, so stop being ungrateful. I don't know about the others, but I know Charlie has little free time these days because he has a job, friends and a girlfriend that he spends his limited time with, not just Acanthite.

And also, if you feel like complaining, try and make something at least half as good as Acanthite already is beforehand. If you can't, keep quiet and keep your annoying opinions to yourself.

I have a life too. I write about politics, I do marching band, I have part-time jobs every now and then, I'm an officer of three clubs, I independent study several Advanced Placement classes, I sing in concert choir, I'm a senator in student government, and I also do a lot of other things that come up every now and then. To top it all off, I'm a high school senior who's currently studying for SAT's and filling out college applications (recommendations and all). If I can make time for Pokemon Hall of Fame (I spend at least 2-3 hours on it every week and will continue to do so all marching band season), then Fangking Omega can find time to work on Acanthite.

If you're really serious about your game, you have to be willing to put that extra time and effort into it every day/week/whatever. It really helps to set up goals of how many hours you want to spend on the game every week and planning out what you will get done in each time frame. It's that simple really.

I'm working on Hall of Fame right now, and I'd say it's way BETTER than any release that Acanthite will come out with in the next several years. We've been releasing and experimenting with new stuff constantly. Hall of Famer's approach of trying to get done as much as possible with limited resources has been working really well. Meanwhile, I'm going back and slowly improving on what he has done.

For example, Hall of Famer made most of Kanto a clone of FR/LG. Right now I'm going back and editing all of his maps. Basically I'm cleaning up the dialogue, fixing bugs, and making a lot of room for expansion so I can add all kinds of features later on. That way you can guarantee that we'll always be making old parts of the game better while adding new stuff. This is what will be the second time we work on the map. The third time we'll upgrade the graphics with Don Patch/PHO tiles. Then future releases will have all kinds of expansions, custom scripts, and such. I'd say that's a good plan for updating, and it doesn't require you to have a giant team of people; you only need one or two dedicated people working for a few hours a week. Once I'm done remaking about 20 maps I'll release a big update highlighting my accomplishments.

Then we can work from there...

1. Yea I agree with the free time thing, stuff consumes it up quite a bit and it is hard to find time for something.
    2. I'm grateful that anyone is trying to make a Pokemon game and this one has a very good story :)

Overall this game had me excited when I 1st read the thread but now after waiting a few mere months I'm bored of waiting, I'll check in every now and then but I don't expect anything from it :(

I agree about your disappointment with this game. However, the game that Hall of Famer and I have been working on isn't better just because we released a couple demos. It's better because we keep adding new stuff as well as going back and fixing old stuff, all in a timely manner. We provide more or less frequent progress updates not only because we want our fans to know what we're doing, but also because it helps to keep us in track by giving ourselves progress benchmarks and deadlines that we need to motivate us into working.

We could easily just stop updating for the next several months claiming that we're working on the game. However, if we actually did that, we'd just be spending our time doing other things and putting off work on the game. The more time you give yourself, the more time you have to procrastinate.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • If I can make time for Pokemon Hall of Fame (I spend at least 2-3 hours on it every week and will continue to do so all marching band season), then Fangking Omega can find time to work on Acanthite.

You assume I don't?

Mechanics wise, I'm doing plenty. I coded a style of battle for Sunrise Island recently for example. And it works, but if I'm showing it off, I'd like to have the actual graphics rather than placeholders. The town maps from the demo and more have all been shown already. The new Pokémon have been shown already. Attacks have been revealed. Stats, movesets and Dex descriptions are done and posted on Acanthite's staff forums (and for good reason won't be revealed publicly). This info's typed into the game file (moves still to be all implemented, granted), but screenshots of Notepad are a bit boring. I just need my sprites and then tbh you've got your demo and just like you can say your game is good I can predict that Acanthite too will be good X_X

The proof will be in the product. No point drawing comparisons until either is finished.

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    it basically sounds like you're comparing your game to this one, and you're saying that your game is better. i can't say for sure, because i havn't seen your game, but now i'm not going to. why?

a few reasons. the first is that you make it seem like your life is really hectic. trust me, its not. i know people who have much harder schooldays, myself included. you have it easy. i wish i had 2-3 hours to spare every week.

additionally, 2-3 hours a week isn't that long to spend on a game if you're the only one really coding it, which after looking at the developers list, is shared by him and maybe 1-2 other people. i've written programs before, and if you're working in a small team it can still take a very long time.

two - you have no idea what his personal life might be like. for all that you know, it might be alot more difficult than yours. maybe someone in his family just died [heaven forbid]. maybe he's doing alot more work. you can't make a comparison if you know nothing about one side.

three - more demos does not equal a better game. there are quite a few games on this site that look totally awesome - yet the developers don't want to release any demos. ever. why? because of quality control.

four - every adds new stuff, as well as fix old stuff. its what you do when programming ANYthing, not just a certain hack or game. and as for a timely manner, check back to the arguments above.

five - do you know for a fact that he isn't working on the game? for all you know, he could be, and actually telling the truth [gasp] about not wanting to reveal too much. half the fun of playing a game is revelling in the new stuff in it.

six - you do realize that your last statement contradicts your entire first point?

The more time you give yourself, the more time you have to procrastinate.

So you're basically saying through your argument that he should give time to working on acanthite, but not too much time because he'll get lazy. Yet not too little because then he won't be doing any work.

Right. that makes perfect sense. EVERYONE can schedule their time in such an orderly manner and can figure out exactly how much time to give to a project in order to work on it fully while responding to viewer's needs.

Fact is, people can't. I'm very lazy myself - yet i still get all my work done. If i procrastinate in the day, i work in the night. Or, if i've procrastinated too much, then i just work even harder. Sometimes, i manage not to procrastinate at all. Its not because i'm given too much time - on the contrary, i procrastinate even during tests in school. Time has nothing to do with lazyness. [Not that i'm saying that he's lazy, but you get my point]

Finally - if you're just going to continue harping on about getting a demo, while at the same time saying that its a bad game because he's not releasing a demo, i think that alot of us would appreciate if you were just to remain quiet. I don't post that often, even on hacks/games that i like that aren't releasing demos when promised, or taking forever to update. I recognize that it takes alot of time for this stuff to happen, and that things happen that don't always fit plans. So i'm patient, and i wait. Patience is a virtue, something i feel that you should learn.

[this was started to be written before fangking's post, so this is in response to moose]

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Wow... InMooseWeTrust... you should really stop posting here, I know that you are entitled to your own opinion, and are thus entitled to speak of your own opinion. But when your opinion is just that what you are doing is much more worthwhile than what someone else is doing, you should really keep it to yourself. I admit that your project is making much greater progress in a short time, but Fangking has been making steady progress for years, and his project shows it. He's using more custom graphics, more custom systems, and pretty much more of everything in his project, and I am positive that this will show in the eventual demo.

So; remember this saying: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    InMooseWeTrust, all you ever do is spam and complain about a lack of game progress. You obviously don't know how hard it is to make a game, so either shape up or shut up.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    @InMooseWeTrust: Have you ever thought about his "real" life?
    He may not be working on it at the moment because he has his own life to deal with.
    He's 18, so he probably has a job, which might also stress him out at times and needs rest.
    He MAY be able to find time to work on this, but not all the time.
    I'm gonna Agree with VC's last sentence.
    Originally posted by Virtual Chatot:
    You obviously don't know how hard it is to make a game, so either shape up or shut up.
    Thank you.

-Wind~

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
    Years
  • @All:
    Ok, I think IMWT got the point.
    Let´s concentrate on the IMPORTANT things in life: Acanthite!!!^^

Fangking, great game.
    I want to play this game, but I can wait (Yes, some people can^^)

Good luck and HF,
    Bombah!

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    One thing we all know is that we all have a life outside the internet.
    Remember that moose.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • The thread's becoming a slanging match so let's avoid that. Moosey has his opinions which are all valid and we all have ours. Real life involves preparing for university, web design, and seeing a GIRL (gasp) and I did have a job but I packed it in because too much was expected of me - I have time to work on Acanthite, I will work on Acanthite, but I really need my designers firing on all cylinders to get much further towards a release. I REFUSE to have anything with "placeholder" graphics. It's sloppy. You all want a demo that should've been released by now but it hasn't and I'm sorry but there's no point rushing it out. Still, thanks to all you supporters who've put up with this crap.

To be frank, I'm working more on the promotional Acanthite TCG while I wait for sprites.

blueguy

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    The thread's becoming a slanging match so let's avoid that. Moosey has his opinions which are all valid and we all have ours. Real life involves preparing for university, web design, and seeing a GIRL (gasp) and I did have a job but I packed it in because too much was expected of me - I have time to work on Acanthite, I will work on Acanthite, but I really need my designers firing on all cylinders to get much further towards a release. I REFUSE to have anything with "placeholder" graphics. It's sloppy. You all want a demo that should've been released by now but it hasn't and I'm sorry but there's no point rushing it out. Still, thanks to all you supporters who've put up with this crap.

To be frank, I'm working more on the promotional Acanthite TCG while I wait for sprites.

What's the whole deal with the spriters anyways? Very limited availability? I'm not the best for doing fakemon sprites, but I'm fairly good with overworld tiles, and other things. So, if you need a few things here and there, I would be able to help. I feel sort of stupid for offering my assistance to such an awesome project! XD I'm sure people do it all the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back