• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon Black and White - Seasons

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    That would be fun, have like a pokeathalon based one the season! Better yet, summer: summer olympic event minigames, wonter: winter olympics event minigames, spring/fall: indoor track/field minigames (similar to current pokeathalons). I'd play em! But, for the sake of more fun, don't have minigame stats. I loved using my favorite poke's, not the ones naturally good at jumping.

The Red Chain

They even have a little transition after you hit start on the game screen that shows what season it is in-game. It's all fancy and even has an English translation on the bottom of it. If you haven't seen the demo video, it looks like this ^.^ :

Pokémon Black and White - Seasons

Sorry for the low quality. It says "Winter" on the bottom.
    I second the notion for events during the different seasons. Maybe even have special little events similar to in real life depending on the date. Like on July the 4th, we can see firework reflections in the the water at night time. That just sounds neat to me.
    :3

... It's too bad we all don't share the same holidays or this would work out huh... </3

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    I adoreee this idea. <3
    They even have a little transition after you hit start on the game screen that shows what season it is in-game. It's all fancy and even has an English translation on the bottom of it. If you haven't seen the demo video, it looks like this ^.^ :

Pokémon Black and White - Seasons

Sorry for the low quality. It says "Winter" on the bottom.
    I second the notion for events during the different seasons. Maybe even have special little events similar to in real life depending on the date. Like on July the 4th, we can see firework reflections in the the water at night time. That just sounds neat to me. :3

It's too bad we all don't share the same holidays or this would work out huh... </3

That is a good idea, just too bad we don't all celebrate independence day on july 4th (if even had an "independence day"). Though christmas lights everywhere on christmas? Awesome! Too bad there's religions's that don;t do christmas.

But that makes me wonder... How will the months actually relate to realt time seasons? Say your game picked summer for December, but in the northern hemisphere it's really snowy winter. And will the seasons be the same for every game? Like January is always spring, march summer, feb fall, etc. (just an example... see how they don't all quite fit?) or do you decide "what season is it right now?"

The Red Chain

But that makes me wonder... How will the months actually relate to realt time seasons? Say your game picked summer for December, but in the northern hemisphere it's really snowy winter. And will the seasons be the same for every game? Like January is always spring, march summer, feb fall, etc. (just an example... see how they don't all quite fit?) or do you decide "what season is it right now?"

I'm pretty sure this is handled by your DS's clock, just like night and day.
    Whatever date you have set on the DS decides the season in your game. :3
    So say you have the date set to "June 19th" in your DS, then your game will be on the summer season. ^^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    And will the seasons be the same for every game? Like January is always spring, march summer, feb fall, etc. (just an example... see how they don't all quite fit?) or do you decide "what season is it right now?"

I think...yeah, we'll probably get to decide the season, since that works best. I'm pretty sure that this has a good chance of happening.

@The Red Chain;
    June = Winter for Australia, so that idea is flawed.

The Red Chain

June = Winter for Australia, so that idea is flawed.

It's either you decide, or the DS's date decides.
    If the DS's date decides, then it's not like you can expect the game to perfectly match all the time. D:

Just how day and night aren't totally on par with how the sun is.
    It turns pink in my game but the sun is still way up in real life.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    But that's what I mean, if the game does decide then that would be unfair for those who don't live in the same hemisphere as the one your game was made in. Imagine turning on your game and someone saying "It's such a sunny, hot day, don't you think?" when you're actually in Winter. At least with the montly cycle, it can start off the same.

The Red Chain

But that's what I mean, if the game does decide then that would be unfair for those who don't live in the same hemisphere as the one your game was made in. Imagine turning on your game and someone saying "It's such a sunny, hot day, don't you think?" when you're actually in Winter. At least with the montly cycle, it can start off the same.
    Regarding that, it would be a great idea to choose.. but I really just don't see that happening personally. XD; I guess it's cause the DS's date is there. It would make more sense for the game to actually utilize that the DS has a date, but for you guys in the other hemispheres we'll just hope it allows you to choose instead.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years

It sould sorta be unfair to everyone, cus the season's would only pair up sometimes. I thin it would be easier if January was always spring for everyone (spring, more stuff grows, sort of a "new start") and then continue on... Feb/summer, Mar/Fall, Apr/Winter, May/Spring, June/summer, July/Fall, August/Winter, Sept/Spring, Oct/Summer, Nov/Fall, Dec/Winter. Now in that example, where I live only May, June, Nov, and Dec match up. So that's 1 in 4 (25%) chance that the seaon will be right where you live each month, however the cycle goes. So this way each month is ALWAYS the same season for EVERYONE.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't see why it would be so hard to let you choose your country and then give you the correct season based on that. :s You already choose your location right down to province/state depending where you are (GTS, anyone?) so why couldn't they just make the location selection a bit more prominent and go from that?

Mind you, then we'd have to stick with the season mimicking the the real cycle which would take forever. I think I'd much prefer it change every month or less only if there are Pokémon that can only evolve in a certain season or only caught during spring or winter or something. Otherwise it's probably more of a gimmick sort of thing with weather so there'd be no need to not have it match up with the season IRL.

Ohh I hope there are more weather gimmicks. Like have rain dance in effect more often during spring, sunny day in effect (sdklfjsjkls ♥) a lot in summer, hail in winter, etc. :'D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...selecting country completely slipped my mind. I hope it's either that or choose your season. Since the DS clocks, yeah no.

Also! I want all those effects you mentioned... plus diamond dust. Which I think was meant to be in HG, but I don't know why.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    I think that the game will start in spring for everyone. Why?
    Because spring means a new beginning! (for plants and such)

That's just my opinion.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    I don't see why it would be so hard to let you choose your country and then give you the correct season based on that. :s You already choose your location right down to province/state depending where you are (GTS, anyone?) so why couldn't they just make the location selection a bit more prominent and go from that?

Mind you, then we'd have to stick with the season mimicking the the real cycle which would take forever. I think I'd much prefer it change every month or less only if there are Pokémon that can only evolve in a certain season or only caught during spring or winter or something. Otherwise it's probably more of a gimmick sort of thing with weather so there'd be no need to not have it match up with the season IRL.

Ohh I hope there are more weather gimmicks. Like have rain dance in effect more often during spring, sunny day in effect (sdklfjsjkls ♥) a lot in summer, hail in winter, etc. :'D

That would make sense if seasons were -4- 3 months each, but remember-season are 1 month. So each Pokemon year is a about the time of a real-life season.

EDIT: Sorry, I can be bad at counting sometimes. But my point is seasons are only one month.

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016

Most DS are region locked. I think that would play into it?
    But I mean, for the most part, there'll at least be one month in each "real life" season in which they'll be matched up. For the most part, since seasons are three months long.

The Red Chain

Most DS are region locked. I think that would play into it?
    But I mean, for the most part, there'll at least be one month in each "real life" season in which they'll be matched up. For the most part, since seasons are three months long.
    I dunno about normal DS, but I do recall DSi being region locked.
    So perhaps the region your DSi is from will be the hemisphere that B&W will take on..?

Or perhaps where B&W is manufactured will decide the region.
    There are "European" and "Australian" versions of games if I recall correctly.
    That would suck however.. since a lot of people are pre-ordering B&W it would have Asia's seasonal cycle. D:
    I can put up with that myself, but it is kinda silly.

That idea makes the most sense.. too bad about the DS date.
    I really thought I had something there. XD

The seasons are more of a complicated feature than I thought initially. :x

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Choosing your own seasons sounds like they'd be giving you a bit too much freedom, there. I don't know, every Pokemon game of the main series basically has the title-screen thingy, and then has the new game/save files and stuff. After that, you start your journey with the professor talking and etc, and it seems like you'll get sent off from there. Its doubtful that they'll offer a season option during that time, but I'm sure it'll be customizable in some way...

But still, we get to choose the time at the start of the game. I mean, I thought that was really revolutionary at the time. Maybe if it was brought into the storyline, then that might be likely. I dunno, like the professor asking what type of day it is outside. But probably randomly might work well. :x

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    But still, we get to choose the time at the start of the game. I mean, I thought that was really revolutionary at the time. Maybe if it was brought into the storyline, then that might be likely. I dunno, like the professor asking what type of day it is outside. But probably randomly might work well. :x

The professor could easily ask you that in the begining. I remember Oak screaming he slept in til 3 am... and then your mom had to ask you what day it was. It seems easy for people to forget imortant things in the Pokemon world! I would wanna start my game in winter, cus I dunno, I just love snow. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah but I think asking what day it was... is due to confusion rather than anything else. XD; If you ask what season it is in that way, then the professor would seem sort of out of it. There must be another way to find out the season related to the early storyline...

Back