- Age 29
- Seen Feb 4, 2024
Pokémon Carmine Red
VERSION 1.1 IS OUT! HERE'S WHAT'S NEW!
After over a year in development, the game is finished!
Hack of: Red Version (using the pokered disassembly)
Carmine Red is a personal project of a Gen 1 romhack, using the dissasembly as a base instead of doing a binary hack like it was common many years ago. Based on an idea I had for a romhack I had more than a decade ago, that never got into shape due to the limitations of binary tools, and my desist on continuing it.
My main idea is to enhance a lot of what gen 1 had to offer, while still keeping the mess that the original games were.
The name Carmine, comes from a bug that is used to extract a dark red dye from, hence why Parasect is the mascot of the Hack, and why bugs are the biggest recipient of buffs.
The plot of the game hasn't changed that much from the original game. However, it can be seen as an alternate reality of Kanto, but with some elements set in the future when compared to the original, while everything else happens in the same timeframe. The biggest difference is that there's an epilogue with the Team Rocket's arc near the end of the game.
For a more detailed list of features, please read the List of Features on the Github's Wiki.
- Massive Improve of learnsets
- New typings for several Pokémon
- Modified type chart
- Modified Base Stats for a lot of Pokémon
- Mofidied wild encounters across all of the game
- Modified a lot of moves, repruposing a lot of bad moves
- SGB support to make the game playable with custom color palettes
- All pokemon are avaiable, including Mew
- Improved maps and modified dungeons, and even new areas
- Improved map Tileset
- More inventory space
- HMs are deletable on the go
- Improved trainer and Boss battles
- A bit more difficulty than the original, but nothing crazy. I would compare it to vanilla B2W2 Challenge mode.
- Runnin functionality has been added, and biking and surfind is now faster
- Gym Leader rematches have been added.
Most of the mechanics of the original game are untouched, but these are worth considering:
A bunch of screenshots stitched together
All of the Overworld color palettes
And as a bonus, some of the new, improved animations:
- Everyone on the PRET Github for doing the dissasemblies in the first place
- Everyone on the PRET Discord server for their invaluable help with my countless questions
- Rangi42 and the rest of contributors for Polished Map
- Special thanks goes to Rangi42, 33Dannye,
Drush, Chatot4444 and more over the PRET discord
- FrenchOrange for the testing he did on my demo and the detailed report he provided
- Voltiene for the code under the warning message when deleting HM moves. I really couldn't done without their help
- Specially for their immeasurable patience against my stubborness of not learning for real how to program in Game boy ASM and just trial and error the changes I made over existing code
Carmine Red project on Github
Link to the last release, Version 1.1 as of February 4th 2024
Direct link to the 1.1 .bps patch
I've also added the 1.1 patch as an attachment
To install and play the game, you can either download the github repository, and build the game youself, following the instruction in the install.md
Or you can just download the .bps patch and apply it to a clean rom of pokemon red on your own.
To play I recommend an emulator that can play game boy games in Super Game Boy mode so you can play it in technicolor. mGBA works fine for this, for example.
04-02, Update 1.1: QoL and Gym leader rematches.
26-04, Update 1.0.1: fixes an issue with sleep turns. All related links and attachment have been updated