• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2023
    Wow so working on beta 5 now I see. that's good news I See. Anyway I see your Tifa logo excited about final fantasy VII coming to the PS4????

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Wow so working on beta 5 now I see. that's good news I See. Anyway I see your Tifa logo excited about final fantasy VII coming to the PS4????
    Not excited at all actually :D
    I may watch an LP of it sometime in the future when it comes but nothing more than that really. I just happen to use a Tifa avatar which I have used since 2012 maybe? I have three different ones in total; in one she does some "cute punching" and in another one she drinks and winks eye. These came in goodies package of Final Fantasy VII Ultima Edition for PC.

But yeah, I haven't done much with DE yet. Began to continue it last week actually but since I had lots of free time last weekend and some on this Monday and just now, I have "enhanced" the scripts in the beginning for asking people to get the Energy Tab, mapped and scripted a couple of places, created map connections for those and planned what happens in the next town which I have been editing just now. :)
    Not much to show for in total but lots of stuff for just four days work.

miksy91

Years
  • So glad to see that this is back. GL and cant wait to play more!
    Hopefully releasing more content won't take that long then! :)

And related to that actually... would you guys rather see me edit the hack much further (in terms of gameplay) from beta 4.1 before releasing another beta, or should I first release a small add-on release to beta 4.1 ?
    What I have currently been doing is enhancing the gameplay content of beta 4.1 in many ways (for example, giving the player more options to react in certain events with Yes/No cases instead of making the player talk directly). Those kind of changes wouldn't matter much to players who have already played through beta 4.1 but I could at least release something new. And besides, I still haven't released a bug fix to the Milky Village gate bug...

Anyway, not only would this enhance content already seen in beta 4.1 but also add some new, neat things in there. I was thinking of still making it possible to reach the next town, and possibly unlock the house in Granaldo City related to mining sidequest (and maybe even give the players possibility to do some mining while at it). Mining is already possible in beta 4.1 through gameshark codes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEB2GZktAE

So yeah - should we wait for yet another year for beta 5 (I would assume I will get it done sometime next year), or should I release this "Beta 4 Plus", or whatever it should be called first? This "Beta 4 Plus" could probably be up sometime September if I don't get it done before mid of August (when I'll leave in vacation for a while).

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2019
    If the beta 4 plus delays beta 5 for a significant amount of time (like a few months) I'd say just wait for beta 5. I would love to see the beta 4 plus though

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2023
    It depends on how much this Beta 4 plus will add on will we be able too face the Granaldo City gym leader and do the mining side quest, and the next town will stuff progress in it???

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    finally got around to playing this after so long

only qualm is that you are pretty much forced to use the simulation to level up quickly and keep up with the curve, feels like "simulation: the grind". no xp share and the wild pokemon in the route are very low level compared to the curve, feels boring after a while.

note im playing nuzlocke so im forced to grind due to the presence of certain OP trainer or 2 along...

miksy91

Years
  • If the beta 4 plus delays beta 5 for a significant amount of time (like a few months) I'd say just wait for beta 5. I would love to see the beta 4 plus though
    It wouldn't take much time at all :)
    Anyway... (next quote reply)

It depends on how much this Beta 4 plus will add on will we be able too face the Granaldo City gym leader and do the mining side quest, and the next town will stuff progress in it???
    After you posted this, I figured that I used to have an idea to unlock both mining sidequest and Raven's gym at the same time (= after a certain event is gone through). It's not like they would have any kind or connection themselves, but that way, when you return to Granaldo City, it would make sense for both of them being unlocked at the same time.

I'll probably actually make it work like this. That pretty much means that Raven couldn't be challenged and mining sidequest couldn't be completed in "beta 4 plus" yet if I released that. This is just because I don't want them to be unlocked yet when you get to the next town, rather a bit later (and I have already planned when).

I'll see what I do though. I may release a new version before beta 5, or I may not.

finally got around to playing this after so long

only qualm is that you are pretty much forced to use the simulation to level up quickly and keep up with the curve, feels like "simulation: the grind". no xp share and the wild pokemon in the route are very low level compared to the curve, feels boring after a while.

note im playing nuzlocke so im forced to grind due to the presence of certain OP trainer or 2 along...
    Sorry, never intended this hack to be "nuzlocked".

There are 3 battles in beta 4.1 where losing is totally okay to progress forward. So if you apply nuzlocke rules to your gameplay totally, you will either have to grind way too much, or invent your own rules that you use during your nuzlocke run (like, no pokemon are fainted in a battle that you're not supposed to win if you lose).

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2023
    I see, anyway if Beta 4 plus won't delay beta 5 much then I say if you want too release a beta before 5 than do that. Do what is best for the game and your schedules I guess.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Hi miksy91, our own Pokémon 3D fans are still looking forward to this rom hack to be made into Pokémon 3D platform so I have been making some progress with it. The new game intro sequence have been made to be 99% similar and the player house is quite similar too. I am sure people on our side are anticipating it. Hope to see your rom hack are making progress as well :)

miksy91

Years
  • Hi miksy91, our own Pokémon 3D fans are still looking forward to this rom hack to be made into Pokémon 3D platform so I have been making some progress with it. The new game intro sequence have been made to be 99% similar and the player house is quite similar too. I am sure people on our side are anticipating it. Hope to see your rom hack are making progress as well :)
    Nice to hear you have been developing it too :)
    Anyway, I may change some things later, so that's a small problem... For instance, I made it so that you're able to ask in Southern Edge, whether you want to talk about wanting to wake up the sleeping guard at the gate or not.

Would you be willing to get updates on the game as I progress further with it?

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Nice to hear you have been developing it too :)
    Anyway, I may change some things later, so that's a small problem... For instance, I made it so that you're able to ask in Southern Edge, whether you want to talk about wanting to wake up the sleeping guard at the gate or not.

Would you be willing to get updates on the game as I progress further with it?
    I would be willing to get updates on the game as you progress further. :)

miksy91

Years
  • I would be willing to get updates on the game as you progress further. :)
    I sent you PM :)

How do you play this game with .ips?? :D
    It's illegal to share a downloadlink to straight rom files, so we share ips files that provide all the changed data to the original hacked rom file (in this case, Pokemon Silver).

So to play the hack, you need a Pokemon Silver (U) rom, the ips -file from here and a program to "do the magic" (= apply the patch). More info here: http://fantasyanime.com/patching

Years
  • I haven't played this yet but your hack seems to be very solid and maybe much more.

What catches my attention is that this is a bug-free version. I really don't like 1sr or 2nd Gen hack that do still contain bugs, since those could ruin the fun at some random point of progress.

I'm planning to do a Nuzlocke in spanish in my future new channel and I wouldn't care if it takes a lot of time since I've never played Chrono or FF (gosh) xD

Also, I like hacks that uses the Blue overworld sprite as the main character. Sad Pokemon Prism isn't finished yet.

Regards from Italy.

miksy91

Years
  • I haven't played this yet but your hack seems to be very solid and maybe much more.

What catches my attention is that this is a bug-free version. I really don't like 1sr or 2nd Gen hack that do still contain bugs, since those could ruin the fun at some random point of progress.

I'm planning to do a Nuzlocke in spanish in my future new channel and I wouldn't care if it takes a lot of time since I've never played Chrono or FF (gosh) xD

Also, I like hacks that uses the Blue overworld sprite as the main character. Sad Pokemon Prism isn't finished yet.

Regards from Italy.
    Thank you :)
    Beta 4.1 isn't totally bug free though. There are simple errors here and there (for example if you use an Escape Rope in a cave where you can catch cold, a funny looking scene happens when you get out. Just fixed that today for the next version by the way so it was easy to pick up an example there! :D ). Also, there is that gamebreaking gate bug listed in the main post which is a simple fix to do (and the bug shouldn't even be there in older beta 4.0 I think).

But yeah, I have added in many original features not seen in other hacks; mostly by knowing how to write good, readable code, and by understanding how GB/C assembly language works. But I didn't invent all of these new features totally myself although I did code them on my own and made them "Dark Energy like". Ideas behind some new features are stolen from elsewhere (Battle Simulator is kinda like Battle Arena of FF7, North Star (= ice cavern) idea I probably got from FF9 but can't remember anymore since it has been over 3 years since I implemented it, and a place called Cave of Illusions was an idea picked up from a Super Metroid hack).

P.S
    The main character is looks like Blue but it's not him. Someone made that sprite for me a long time ago (I believe I have credited him in the main post though) and I don't know if he drew it based on Blue or not. But they look alike indeed.

Last edited:

Ichigo|BleachShinigami

https://www.facebook.com/ichigo.bleach.shinigamiII
    Years
  • You're not supposed to obtain it through any means.
    As of now, I have planned other usage for Mewtwo in beta 5 (just like I had for Lugia and replaced that with Super Onix).

well I opened up your rom in hax editor and in goldmap it gave out alot of spoilers you know lol

miksy91

Years
  • well I opened up your rom in hax editor and in goldmap it gave out alot of spoilers you know lol
    I could always try to avoid that by making a program that would encrypt parts of the rom data to make it non-user-friendly to read and build in decryption routines that would be accessed to decrypt the data when playing the hack. And that could even work out but would be too much of a hassle to implement. And not worth it at all either.

The thing that I could do for the next release would be changing the rom header so that Johtomap might not be able to open the rom file accurately. But then again, it wouldn't be too hard to get rid off this obstacle either.

So yeah... I guess it doesn't hurt if anyone can edit the hacked rom file freely if they like.

I hope that it will be finished soon!
    Sorry, not going to happen. There is lots of work to be done before I can release even beta 5. And the final version should come after that.
    But the hack is progressing pretty well though :)

Years
  • miksy91 I just LOVE dark energy. It's simply amazing. The best Rom hack for gbc I've ever played. I hope you continue to make this game the best. Can't say it enough, simply amazing. Great story, great true RPG elements.

Back