• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Really liking this hack so far, the difficulty is great. It really feels like I have to make use and be wary of attacks like Growl and Tail Whip. Of course, I didn't realize I could heal my pokemon until I lost to Grandpa? the first time, so that contributed to the difficulty...

Anyway, I found a few minor things. I didn't see these mentioned yet, but I might've missed them in the thread:

In the first and second ones there's a glitch with the tile in one of the buildings in Berry City. In the right building of the two buildings with a bridge.

In the third one, the Rattata didn't run in front of me, but behind me, so there was an empty space in front of me when his squad showed up. This didn't happen to me the first time, so I don't know how this triggers.

In the last one, there's a messed up tile in Korowai Hall.
    Spoiler:

P.S. I don't have screenshots for these, but Grandpa? and Mightyena's sprites get really warped when they use Bulk Up and Howl, respectively.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Ok I figured out what was wrong before, so long as my save file isn't touched updating the game is easy by scrapping the original GBA file to patch a new one. IPS format is way different lol.

I did notice an odd minor bug in the first town when the RC come for the first relic fragment, I'm trying to get one new pokemon first before I battle the grunts and hen I stopped my game to reset for a better nature on a taillow or caterpie I saw that the team confrontation music stopped playing when my game resets. Its not a serious issue but it s weird to have calm music playing again while bad guys are trying to kill everyone.

EDIT: Also I decided to check out what features the pokemon had in this hack in the G3T program and saw some good things and some odd things. Some already commented on compound eyes on certain bird pokemon, which really should be changed to something more fitting as Compound Eyes is limited only to bugs for the simple reason only insects have actual compound eyes. I get the disturbing image of Taillow with Venonat eyes due to the current setup lol. Plus Taillow's line is only really good with Guts, so the gamble of finding the ideal nature and ability combo ends up making that line more trouble than it's worth in the end. If you wanted the accuracy boost to work with how birds have such amazing eyesight it'd be more logical to take the effects of Compound Eyes and apply them to Keen Eye, eliminating Keen Eye's original power which was almost useless so both abilities can have use on the proper species that use them.

Other ability issues I noticed is that due to the lack of Dry Skin, the saving grace for Parasect is now gone, but giving it Water Absorb is a good cover for that even if it doesn't restore HP in rain.

Also move-wise seeing Vaporeon with Hydro Cannon is decidedly strange, but I wont question it. I can understand your inability to add newer moves and new animations to work said moves, but some have been able to work around this to an extnt in some cases. For Lucario, you can give it Aura Sphere by copying Superpower to a new slot on a hex editor, then alter one super power's animation to make it blue-colored, then just change it's effect and base power to match Aura Sphere (which also gets rid of the stat drop since it's new effect is perfect accuracy) in G3T and you're done. While not all new moves can possibly be added since you admit you have no real way of doing this, I figure this could help with certain moves which can be considered a necessity.

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • No what I mean is shouldn't we be able to apply this patch to a game with the previous patch present? or does NUPS not work that way?

No it has to be a completely new Emerald ROM untouched.

Glad to see this finally released. I played it and I really like it, thanks for this hack.

1158! It makes me happy to hear that you played it and you liked it. I've come a long way with the hack since I first came to you as a nub and asked for some OWs and battle sprites, huh? Haha. Thanks again, the hack wouldn't be the same without your help. You've helped with a big part of the visuals and we're grateful for that!

Really liking this hack so far, the difficulty is great. It really feels like I have to make use and be wary of attacks like Growl and Tail Whip. Of course, I didn't realize I could heal my pokemon until I lost to Grandpa? the first time, so that contributed to the difficulty...

Anyway, I found a few minor things. I didn't see these mentioned yet, but I might've missed them in the thread:

In the first and second ones there's a glitch with the tile in one of the buildings in Berry City. In the right building of the two buildings with a bridge.

In the third one, the Rattata didn't run in front of me, but behind me, so there was an empty space in front of me when his squad showed up. This didn't happen to me the first time, so I don't know how this triggers.

In the last one, there's a messed up tile in Korowai Hall.
    Spoiler:

P.S. I don't have screenshots for these, but Grandpa? and Mightyena's sprites get really warped when they use Bulk Up and Howl, respectively.

Glad you like it and yeah lol those beds start to look comfortable when you're low on HP xD
    Also, all the bugs you are talking about are fixed besides the Rattata. That one is due to clicking too fast through the messages that are brought up and it like messes up the event Idk why I gotta look into it more. But thanks for the reports

help ups doesnt work
    what version of emerald should i use?

US Emerald you can find them on any of the popular ROM sites

Ok I figured out what was wrong before, so long as my save file isn't touched updating the game is easy by scrapping the original GBA file to patch a new one. IPS format is way different lol.

I did notice an odd minor bug in the first town when the RC come for the first relic fragment, I'm trying to get one new pokemon first before I battle the grunts and hen I stopped my game to reset for a better nature on a taillow or caterpie I saw that the team confrontation music stopped playing when my game resets. Its not a serious issue but it s weird to have calm music playing again while bad guys are trying to kill everyone.

EDIT: Also I decided to check out what features the pokemon had in this hack in the G3T program and saw some good things and some odd things. Some already commented on compound eyes on certain bird pokemon, which really should be changed to something more fitting as Compound Eyes is limited only to bugs for the simple reason only insects have actual compound eyes. I get the disturbing image of Taillow with Venonat eyes due to the current setup lol. Plus Taillow's line is only really good with Guts, so the gamble of finding the ideal nature and ability combo ends up making that line more trouble than it's worth in the end. If you wanted the accuracy boost to work with how birds have such amazing eyesight it'd be more logical to take the effects of Compound Eyes and apply them to Keen Eye, eliminating Keen Eye's original power which was almost useless so both abilities can have use on the proper species that use them.

Other ability issues I noticed is that due to the lack of Dry Skin, the saving grace for Parasect is now gone, but giving it Water Absorb is a good cover for that even if it doesn't restore HP in rain.

Also move-wise seeing Vaporeon with Hydro Cannon is decidedly strange, but I wont question it. I can understand your inability to add newer moves and new animations to work said moves, but some have been able to work around this to an extnt in some cases. For Lucario, you can give it Aura Sphere by copying Superpower to a new slot on a hex editor, then alter one super power's animation to make it blue-colored, then just change it's effect and base power to match Aura Sphere (which also gets rid of the stat drop since it's new effect is perfect accuracy) in G3T and you're done. While not all new moves can possibly be added since you admit you have no real way of doing this, I figure this could help with certain moves which can be considered a necessity.

Glad you fixed it. Yeah the music thing is a pain, I might update it with a level script but as far as the whole keeping the music playing the same it's actually pretty hard considering that the level scripts are on entering map / menu close only... aka you have to walk connections to get the music to work not warp to the map. I also fixed the taillow and fletchling lineups to keen eyes. Gave the paras line water absorb, but they were pokemon before gen 4-6 so thats why they had their default ability. And yeah I have to compensate with moves so that's why I used Hydro Cannon but when I get around to it, probably later on or in Beta 2 I'll add more moves to help the Fairy type out cus it has no moves right now and a lot of other things. Thanks for tips!

Here's the latest version: Click Me

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    With regards to the 4th-6th gen abilities, I recall hearing MrDollSteak is working on an emerald variation of his fire red rom base which would pretty much account for everything you would be searching for. I'd ask him about that the next chance you get.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    The feeling when someones Scolipede evolves into Jigglypuff when it has max happiness. Also, Lucario with Huge Power might not be the most fair idea ever. :-D Lexerex been playing god.

Le pug

Years
  • The feeling when someones Scolipede evolves into Jigglypuff when it has max happiness. Also, Lucario with Huge Power might not be the most fair idea ever. :-D Lexerex been playing god.

Haha I'll get right onto fixing that evo. Apparently I need to look at all the evos again and make sure this doesn't happen! That jiggly puff tho..
    And what do you mean by the huge power? You talking about the superpower copy to aura sphere thing?

Edit: Oh yeah good thing I'm fixing them lol Pangoro can level to become a Skiddo at lvl 16 on behalf of Lexerex

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    Haha I'll get right onto fixing that evo. Apparently I need to look at all the evos again and make sure this doesn't happen! That jiggly puff tho..
    And what do you mean by the huge power? You talking about the superpower copy to aura sphere thing?

Edit: Oh yeah good thing I'm fixing them lol Pangoro can level to become a Skiddo at lvl 16 on behalf of Lexerex

Dem evos :-D

Lucario's second ability is Huge Power right now. It would make it pretty overpowered.

Le pug

Years
  • Dem evos :-D

Lucario's second ability is Huge Power right now. It would make it pretty overpowered.

Alright I changed it to Speed Boost since he has the Steadfast ability normally and those two are corresponding to speed. Thanks for the help.

Also here's the latest version: Click Me

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Alright I changed it to Speed Boost since he has the Steadfast ability normally and those two are corresponding to speed. Thanks for the help.

Spearow and Fearow have it too, they're a nightmare enough in early parts of any game where they appear, I don't like the idea of having to deal with something like that at all. Farfetch'd would be a better user of huge power due to it's poor offensive stats. Though it would need a speed stat increase to make it worthwhile.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • Hi Le Pug!

Can't wait to play this game! Just one question. Is Beta 1 version 0.1.6 the latest version?

Thanks in advanced!

Le pug

Years
  • Hi Le Pug!

Can't wait to play this game! Just one question. Is Beta 1 version 0.1.6 the latest version?

Thanks in advanced!

Yes, indeed it is. Whenever I update the versions I update the front page of the thread at the same time! You'll see the #s change frequently just to accommodate for any bugs that are found.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • Yes, indeed it is. Whenever I update the versions I update the front page of the thread at the same time! You'll see the #s change frequently just to accommodate for any bugs that are found.

Ok, Thanks!

Here is a bug in the ship:

You see the red place?

Pokémon: Discovery

You can't walk through those!

Flying Turtle

Some Random Ghost
    Years
  • Yes I gave the Fletchings different abilities. I also added some to other pokemon. I don't have gen IV-VI abilities or moves so I have to work with what I have.

Yes, but there is Keen Eye and Flame Body in Emerald, which are their normal abilities.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    US Emerald you can find them on any of the popular ROM sites

I think it is better displaying original Emerald CRC in release notice since US Emerald has 2 CRC:
    "1986 - Pokemon - Emerald Version" has CRC 1F1C08FB
    and Discovery needs another version which has CRC 5DF70329

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I saw Croagunk with Imunity of all things. It would do better with water absorb for the same reasons as parasect, or perhaps Guts. And Foongus lacking Effect Spore and instead using Stench which makes no sense in light of the fact mushrooms typically don't generate any strong or foul odor. Some other forms of fungus do but not mushrooms by my knowledge. And since effect spore can poison there's no need for Foongus' line to use Poison Point.

I noticed Ralt's trace when put to work also has a decapitalization error in it's flavor text when Trace activates in battle, cances are all trace users are similarly glitched.

I forgot to mention this before but the female gender symbol is black due to being too close to any pokemon's name section on both battle screens and in the status window. Not major but when one wants to get a female of a specific species one might overlook the gender symbol entirely as it is right now.

the custom-made pokeballs for this game don't show the appropriate sprite image. Wood balls turn into vanilla pokeballs when used in battle for example. I would think the Proto Ball could use a new look other than being a Safari Ball with a different name. Part of me thinks the odd retro-looking pokeball used by Sam in the movie Pokemn $Ever would be a cool idea as that was a pretty ancient pokeball variety, tech-wise, based on the anime's timeline. Though you would need a brilliant sprite artist to help create such a custom pokeball that would appear as it should in-game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    BTW is Dawn Stone unfinished? I hacked up for a dawn stone and tried to use it on Eevee for evolving to Espeon but it turns into black screen.
    and also how to evolve Eevee to Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon?

Back