• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokémon Green for GB

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    So I was in Spain last summer, and I found an old GBC with a few games and one of them was a Pokémon Green. I can't find anyone else having this game.. well even on google searches I can't find it.. Anyone know if this is some kinda of a rare game?
    Also a friend of mine thought this game was only a rumor that it existed..

The game looks like this:
    View attachment 64033

If you have any information on this game I would love to know!

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • It's a fake game of the Pokemon Green that was made in Japan but was not translated.

Spoiler:

This is more what the game card is supposed to look like.

Years
  • If it is/was a legitimate pokemon game, the cartridge will have been standard Game Boy Grey and the sticker would have been in Japanese, as no American Pokemon Green was released until Leaf Green. The link to your picture doesn't work, so I can't see that one.

The poster above me seems to also have a fake cartridge. No Pokemon Green for GBC or GB has been officially released in English.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nice find! ...If it's real, anyway. Your attachment doesn't work, so I can't see. But it should look like this:

Spoiler:

And if you happen to have a box, that should look like this if I'm not mistaken:

Spoiler:

Hopefully you have the real deal, cause that's one hell of a find that I'm super jealous of.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • The game is real. I've seen it with my own eyes. I had a friend that had a copy because his mom sent it to him when she was oversea. Ur very lucky for finding this Gem.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That looks pretty fake to me, unfortunately. It shouldn't be in English at all, because this game never saw an English release. Sorry. :(

Years
  • Hmm maybe it is fake.. It just don't look fake!

It only says "Pokemon Green" but it is in english?

I'll try to reupload the picture:
    View attachment 64056

Yeah, that one's a fake, unfortunately.

A little known fact: There is a HUGE market for fake pokemon games. Most of them are sold on eBay, though I've seen others elsewhere. A lot, a lot, a LOT of Gen III fakes. Only buy Pokemon games from GameStop or other used game store, or a retailer. These are one of the only things I'd be hesitant to buy on eBay.

Also, it's a little odd, but legitimate Japanese Pokemon Gold and Silver have a cartridge that is 2 separate colors. The more ya know ^-^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Awesome! One of the most interesting things about Green is its unique sprites.

Not awesome if it's fake, honey. But I agree, the sprites are quirky and cute and I love them. Aside from collector's OCD, it's the only reason I want it haha.

A little known fact: There is a HUGE market for fake pokemon games. Most of them are sold on eBay, though I've seen others elsewhere. A lot, a lot, a LOT of Gen III fakes. Only buy Pokemon games from GameStop or other used game store, or a retailer. These are one of the only things I'd be hesitant to buy on eBay.

Oh, and to add on to this, I'm not sure if GameStop still has GBA games tbh. And if they do, it's still likely they might have fake copies. I have seen a fake SoulSilver in there before, so I don't think they check for legitimacy. Now, if you have some local game shops, they usually do check (the one here won't accept games that are fake or can no longer save) so you might have better luck there, but if you're wanting to get a legit Green, ebay is, unfortunately, your best choice. There are still good sellers out there though, you just have to take extra initiative to find them I reckon.

Years

• Oh, and to add on to this, I'm not sure if GameStop still has GBA games tbh. And if they do, it's still likely they might have fake copies. I have seen a fake SoulSilver in there before, so I don't think they check for legitimacy. Now, if you have some local game shops, they usually do check (the one here won't accept games that are fake or can no longer save) so you might have better luck there, but if you're wanting to get a legit Green, ebay is, unfortunately, your best choice. There are still good sellers out there though, you just have to take extra initiative to find them I reckon.

I know the GameStop I go still sells them unless they stopped in the last year. They take up little to no space in the store (all the ones at mine are inside the counter, with a window to let you see them) so I don't see why they would ever stop selling them.

And yes, I'm sure there are legitimate sellers, but they are few and far between. You actually have to do a lot of research to make sure the sticker is correct, all the copyright markings are there, the rating image is the right size, if there even is a rating image. The embossing, the cartridge color, the top of the cartridge says Game Boy and not Game or something else. It's a ton of work to check if a game is real or not. And after you get it, make sure it saves, maybe take it apart to see if the battery is even there, and it's a full GB or GBC cartridge circuit board in there (I've seen some GBC carts with GBA circuit boards. >.>).

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    What if this game is an unreleased version, that never made it to the real market?
    It could be ;)??

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020

Except it isn't -_-

It was a Japanese only game. Exactly like Red and Blue but different pokes as usual.
    I own a legitimate copy of Green (And other GB games in Japanese minus Crystal), and you hit the nail on the head. They also have some terrible Pokémon sprites for some of the Pokémon and some maps differ, like Cerulean Cave/Unknown Dungeon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Now that the controversy with Sydian has been cleared :D :

If you want to try out Pokémon Green in English, just go here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/876/

Note: This is a patch for a ROM of Pokémon Red, it's the same link I posted before.
    You have to apply the .ips file contained in the zip to a clean Pokémon Red ROM, which you have to get somewhere else. To do so use "Lunar IPS" for example.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    Yeah that's 100% fake. I actually own a legitimate Green version. So I can verify that is fake.

Years
  • Now that the controversy with Sydian has been cleared :D :

If you want to try out Pokémon Green in English, just go here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/876/

Note: This is a patch for a ROM of Pokémon Red, it's the same link I posted before.
    You have to apply the .ips file contained in the zip to a clean Pokémon Red ROM, which you have to get somewhere else. To do so use "Lunar IPS" for example.

Actually, it's a patch for Blue, not Red.

Pingouin_7

We messed up somewhere while editing the sprites and the Ghost sprite in the Pokémon Tower is messed up, along with the trainer's sprites on the Trainer card menu.

Back