• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Pokémon Jasper & Lapis versions

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Welcome to the Seiji region!

New adventures await in Pokémon Jasper/Lapis version! Journey across diverse habitats of the Seiji region, meet new Pokémon, battle tough opponents and aim to become the best like no one ever was. Featuring more than 250 Pokémon to collect and trade with friends, including the mysterious Eon Pokémon - Latias/Latios!

...or something like that.

So, what is this exactly?
Pokémon Jasper&Lapis project is something which began with me reinstalling Tiled and messing around and gradually evolved into something that I've attempted at several point in my life, and that is to map an entire Pokémon region. And now, after a couple of weeks, it is here! So now that I have this map, I began thinking: "You know what? Let's go all out. I'm gonna make this so detailed you wouldn't believe that it isn't a real Pokémon game." I have neither the programing/rom hacking skills, nor the dedication to learn it properly and finish the project. BUT, I do have some other things in my skillset: image/text editing, mapping, writing, pixel art and more conventional digital art skills.
Thus, I've decided to create a whole guidebook (in the style of the official ones) which would include screenshots, maps, artwork and data - from a game which does not exist.
This post will contain all the custom art and image edits used for the guidebook + extras related to the project. As I make progress, I'd love to hear feedback from the community in order to make it look as legit as possible.
Needless to say, it is going to be a looooong time before I finish this huge project, if I finish it at all. Wish me luck!

What tileset are you using?
This is a custom tileset I've ripped myself from Bulbapedia images of the Johto maps. You'll also notice some custom tiles, as well as overworld sprites for the legendary Pokémon. These were made by me.
I would post the tileset, but... due to the fact I was gradually expanding it as I kept on mapping, it is incredibly disorganized and probably frustrating to use for anyone but myself. And since moving tiles around in the sheet would mess things up in TIled, they're still a complete mess. But, I intend to cut out my tiles at a later date, organize them properly in a separate sheet and post them as a Resource.

BOXART:
Spoiler:

OVERWORLD MAP (as of 09/08/2022):
Spoiler:

NEW CHARACTERS:
Spoiler:

NEW POKéMON:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Some thing regarding the map:

There is still some jank that needs fixing, especially in the early game parts. I'll update them as I make progress on the details.
Some parts also don't strictly follow the rules of Gen 2 mapping; for the majority of the time it took me to map this, I've not yet decided I want to make a whole legit-looking guidebook.

You'll notice that some areas are technically not overworld, such as the forests, safari zone and the volcano. I put them here because I had tiles for them and they fit on the overworld. Might remove them and move them to the inside map section once I get to it.

And finally, you'll notice in the south-west part of the map the red text asking for help. Everything beyond the sleeping Snorlax is the post-game content with its focus being to explore different islands. And I have this spot for an island, but I just can't think of any theme or reason why you'd go to another island. If any of you have any ideas, feel free to suggest something!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
UPDATE: added the new Pokémon section with the first 2 - Pufflap and Murregal!
Spoiler:

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
Years
This looks like a fun project, it does look like an actual game, great job! :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Finished the artwork for the player characters. This is my first time drawing human characters in old Sugimori style, thus they might not look as authentic. Hopefully I'll improve as I draw more characters.

I looked at the naming conventions for main characters and noticed that they're sometimes named after a single word (Rosa + Nate ~ Resonate). So I picked their default names based on the word "Harmony".

CthGS08.png

Back