• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Oh I'm not questioning what CAN be done. I seen the alpha game and know what you can do man. But I think claiming it's ALREADY been done in some degree is wrong to say AT THIS POINT.
    (Sorry for the caps- just showing what I ment by using them lol.)

Waudby

Woo the thread has finally gotten past the 1000 replies mark :D

Oh I'm not questioning what CAN be done. I seen the alpha game and know what you can do man. But I think claiming it's ALREADY been done in some degree is wrong to say AT THIS POINT.
    (Sorry for the caps- just showing what I ment by using them lol.)

Well, it's a big claim to have said we have made progress into it, however, the main battle system for odyssey will still be used for online battles, so to some extent we have done some of it. But I do see what you mean.

For everyone's information so far we have done;

* Basic Online trading between two people.
    * A messaging system for communication with each other.
    * Registering a username and password to the Mysql database for online leaderboards.
    * Basic movement is set up so you can see when other players move through grass or ledge jump.

This is what we are adding soon;

* Fully fledged trade interface.
    * Requests sending for battling and trading.
    * A "busy icon" above players heads if they are battling or trading, or even speaking to an NPC.

do u have any idea when the game should be out for people to try??? sounds amazing and im looking forward to it now

There is no set release date as work can be slowed down at any time. I like to keep myself very open on time scales until I know that it is nearly ready to make a release, and when this time happens I will put a schedule against my working pace so I can definitely get it done.

Atomic Reactor

All the sprites he's shown are from official games.
    Chill out.

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
    Years
    Waudby, I already have busy icons working. I guess I forgot to tell you.

To make the battle system networkable wouldn't be hard as I thought it would. Like what Waudby said, all we need to add is send/receive stuff for the system and we're golden.

And remember, there could be up to 10 people per room. So 5 people can be actively sending and receiving along with the host. We can even increase this to 100 people if we really wanted for bracket-based championships.

Also, you wouldn't need a fast internet, we are only sending text data across, so the strain isn't great. Dial up users would be fine. The game is faster when on your computer than in a web-browser for these type of people. :)

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
    Wow, I just noticed the updates, and they're very nice! I very much like the idea of a virtual, online Pokémon world, and it has surprised me that it is even possible. I also am impressed by the graphics you have chosen.

Everything in this game looks very suitable with eachother. Good luck Waudby, this is an amazing game.

~Äkumà~

Vampire Boy
    Years
    well i really cant wait for it to be done it will be so much fun =)

the online bit is a real differents from every other pokemon game out there its going to be amazing

Last edited:

Waudby

All the sprites he's shown are from official games.
    Chill out.

Jesus Christ
    I am saying that he might have his own OW spriter

Uh... Nintendo makes his overworlds...

Well, for the most part Atomic was right, however the latest sprite that was shown, the one Virtual Chatot posted with, was a sprite made by me.

As we are having customizable characters they have to be custom made obviously.

well what is an estimate to when u would like to see it out ??

I would like to see this out by tomorrow, but that will never happen :P

Seriously guys I wish you could play along, but it's just not ready. Maps are half finished and only in testing stages.

Please just be patient and give suggestions on improvements etc so when you do get to play it, it'll be everything you want :D

I would like to say that the first demo release will be ready for the first quarter of 2009, but don't keep me to that :P

~Äkumà~

Vampire Boy
    Years
    well what kind of ideas are u looking for

to me your game is alright everything i want its ando nline pokemon game i cant ask for much more

and the custom characters is a great thing ( i hope my pick haired guy is in the somewere)

and the graphics are amazing i think its going to turn into a 1st hit game man good job

Waudby

well what kind of ideas are u looking for

to me your game is alright everything i want its ando nline pokemon game i cant ask for much more

and the custom characters is a great thing ( i hope my pick haired guy is in the somewere)

and the graphics are amazing i think its going to turn into a 1st hit game man good job

For now I'm using a few natural colours for hair etc, and that sprite isn't in the new spriting style we've adopted.

I'm going to go through each spriteset I have, an edit them to have the new spriting style, hopefully it will improve the game.

I'm also thinking about having the rival as a custom designd sprite to.

Waudby

No the hero will look how the player selects him to look, with the possibility of changing through the game.

There will be certain places where the player can change, for example, hairdressers to change hairstyle or a clothing shop to change clothing.

Waudby

so what does all this have to do with the game.
    What are we supposed to be accomplishing

What do you mean by this?

It's just an added feature that allows the player to have a bit more choice over the character they are playing as, this "hero" sprite that the player creates at the start of the game will also be used as the players online sprite.

So creating a character which you are happy to play as will allow you to be seen online how you want.

There's no real "point" to this feature, it's more of a novelty feature. I want the player to have as much choice in what happens as possible in a fan game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back