• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2017
    I have a question for 2.2.0: When do you get rock smash? I'm almost at the eight gym and i'm wondering if i missed it, because in the original Crystal we get it pretty early IIRC.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Don't you get it by talking to the man right of where the Sudowoodo tree was after getting rid of it?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    If you can't find any more Leaves on the ground, and farming them off of wild Bellsprout and Oddish isn't fun, now you can Headbutt them off of trees. If you don't encounter a Pokémon, there's a 15% chance to get either Leaf (30% total).

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    I know that not everyone who plays a Gen 2 hack wants Gen 3+ features. Natures and abilities can now be disabled in the Option menu. (Turns out to be easier than making a separate patch like the Faithful one.)

(I went ahead and added the clock and units options to fill space. Got the idea from TPP.)

That looks good. Maybe you can make these enable abilities/natures options available only in the "new game/continue" screen and not while ingame. Also you could add a message like "Please check these options before starting your game" when you are starting a new game (some people may not notice them :P)

Edit: Since you added the option to get leaves from headbutt, can you also add a chance of getting random items from rock smash?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I'm with Acrozz, I feel like those options would be better if you had players set them at the start of a New Game without the option to change them on the fly, the same way I did in Red++ when letting players choose how Pokémon received in a trade work. That's also the way I was planning to let Natures and Abilities work if/when I got around to adding them in Red++. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that you made them optional, but I just feel like since most people don't pay much attention to the Options screen except to change Text speed, they might not actually think to look for those.

I guess another idea would be to add a "New Game Options" screen that pops up when you choose New Game that has different options from the normal in-game options. So instead of stuff like the Border Style and Text Speed and that type of stuff, it would be options like "Nuzlocke Mode" and "Traded Pokemon Behaviour" and "Abilities" and "Natures" and "Challlenge Mode" or whatever else you came up with that didn't make sense to change on the fly. Putting them all in a new options menu like that would jut cut down on all of the text and yes/no questions that would come from doing all of them the way I did Traded Pokemon behaviour in Red++, and is probably what I'll be doing for v3.0.

Yes, I agree with this. Setting your style of play at the start before you choose your gender and name and sticking with it thoughout your entire game.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Sorry but what is "Trade Pokémon Behaviour"?

EDIT: Also, if this is done, I think I will look into making Colosseum check both players' option choices and if they're different, prompt about it.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Edit: Since you added the option to get leaves from headbutt, can you also add a chance of getting random items from rock smash?

Yes I can! :)

That looks good. Maybe you can make these enable abilities/natures options available only in the "new game/continue" screen and not while ingame. Also you could add a message like "Please check these options before starting your game" when you are starting a new game (some people may not notice them :P)

I'm with Acrozz, I feel like those options would be better if you had players set them at the start of a New Game without the option to change them on the fly, the same way I did in Red++ when letting players choose how Pokémon received in a trade work. That's also the way I was planning to let Natures and Abilities work if/when I got around to adding them in Red++. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that you made them optional, but I just feel like since most people don't pay much attention to the Options screen except to change Text speed, they might not actually think to look for those.

I guess another idea would be to add a "New Game Options" screen that pops up when you choose New Game that has different options from the normal in-game options. So instead of stuff like the Border Style and Text Speed and that type of stuff, it would be options like "Nuzlocke Mode" and "Traded Pokemon Behaviour" and "Abilities" and "Natures" and "Challlenge Mode" or whatever else you came up with that didn't make sense to change on the fly. Putting them all in a new options menu like that would jut cut down on all of the text and yes/no questions that would come from doing all of them the way I did Traded Pokemon behaviour in Red++, and is probably what I'll be doing for v3.0.

Yes, I agree with this. Setting your style of play at the start before you choose your gender and name and sticking with it thoughout your entire game.

Sorry but what is "Trade Pokémon Behaviour"?

EDIT: Also, if this is done, I think I will look into making Colosseum check both players' option choices and if they're different, prompt about it.

Point taken. I agree that it would work better as a one-time start-of-game option. You'll get to choose:

• Abilities, yes/no
    • Natures, yes/no
    • Trade behavior, yes/no (good idea, with Wonder Trade)
    • Nuzlocke mode, on/off

I'm tempted to make Shift/Set battle styles another one-time choice, but some people swap that just for grinding.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Yes I can! :)

Point taken. I agree that it would work better as a one-time start-of-game option. You'll get to choose:

• Abilities, yes/no
    • Natures, yes/no
    • Trade behavior, yes/no (good idea, with Wonder Trade)
    • Nuzlocke mode, on/off

I'm tempted to make Shift/Set battle styles another one-time choice, but some people swap that just for grinding.

I don't like Switch mode because it makes the game easier, but I do occasionally use it for the explicit purpose of grinding. In such a case, I go on a self-rule that I *must* switch to whatever I am grinding, no matter what the Pokémon is sending out, to avoid myself ending up relying on it to "cheat".
    What I would personally like is that there would be a switch-style mode which hides the pokémon. Another option is that, in Switch mode, opponents may also switch on fainting *your* Pokémon (If your only issue with this is coding, I can sort that out -- I am actually working on rewriting the switch-out logic from scratch as part of the fainting code right now, because they're pretty interleaved, and GSC has like 11 routines for handling switch-outs normally...).

EDIT: If "Nuzlocke turns on by itself" is an actual bug and not just misclicks, making it a permanent setting would "upgrade" that bug from minor to critical. Just putting that out there.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I think that Prism will feature abilities, too. Has any other Generation II hack implemented abilities?

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    About "Trade pokemon behavior", If I choose "No" in the option...the pkm that I received will have the info of the trainer that send me the pkm (ID, OT) or it will have my trainer info...also will the pkm gain Normal Exp??

Trainer 766

About "Trade pokemon behavior", If I choose "No" in the option...the pkm that I received will have the info of the trainer that send me the pkm (ID, OT) or it will have my trainer info...also will the pkm gain Normal Exp??
    I think it means if the traded pokemon is high level and you don't have enough badges,it will not obey you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    .(I hope someone does an Emerald hack in the style of Red++ and Polished Crystal. Add Sea Mauville, the Delta Episode, Cosplay Pikachu, all that new content; and of course up-to-date mechanics and convenience features. I'd love to replay Hoenn, but not if the overall game feels older than a Gen 1/2 hack.)

Wouldnt it be impossible to inlude all pokemon(386) up till gen 3? Correct me if im wrong but i thought that pokemon crystal and red expansion only allows pokemon to go up to 255?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Question: The only Normal Pokémon that learns Slam is Sentret/Furret, and it could sensibly learn Headbutt instead. So I'm removing it; but should I replace it with Volt Switch, Giga Impact, or something else? Volt Switch could reuse U-turn's (not-yet-written) code, and Giga Impact fills a niche as a physical Hyper Beam.

Rangi has earlier said that he/she intends it to be released within the end of this year, I assume that is still the case.

Correct.

I think it means if the traded pokemon is high level and you don't have enough badges,it will not obey you.

Yes.

Wouldnt it be impossible to inlude all pokemon(386) up till gen 3? Correct me if im wrong but i thought that pokemon crystal and red expansion only allows pokemon to go up to 255?

I said an Emerald hack. Although a Crystal demake of Emerald would be cool too.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Other moves I'd consider interesting:
    * Taunt
    * Trick
    * Roost
    * Close Combat
    * Toxic Spikes
    * Trick Room
    * Shell Smash

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Acrobatics would also be interesting.

I'm going to add 5 more TMs, 66 to 70. Flash can be one, and maybe Rock Smash if it's not going to get people stuck. (Do any caves require it?) Sun/Moon adds Leech Life, so that's one. And whatever replaces Slam.

Edit: Supporting 512 moves would be too big a change for 3.0 (I want it to be done this year), but making index FF work should be doable. FIQ, I don't want to conflict with your battle engine rewrites; can you please look into making Struggle FF?

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Acrobatics would also be interesting.

I'm going to add 5 more TMs, 66 to 70. Flash can be one, and maybe Rock Smash if it's not going to get people stuck. (Do any caves require it?) Sun/Moon adds Leech Life, so that's one. And whatever replaces Slam.

Edit: Supporting 512 moves would be too big a change for 3.0 (I want it to be done this year), but making index FF work should be doable. FIQ, I don't want to conflict with your battle engine rewrites; can you please look into making Struggle FF?

I think making Struggle index FF and removing the special case in CheckTurn is all that is required, but I never tried myself so... If that is all that is needed, then it shouldn't conflict.

The changes I've been making so far wouldn't conflict since it's mostly on the "lower level" end of it (since the changes mostly have to do with turn order logic). I can look into it though, once I get what I've been working on to a working state (I kinda got stuck on switch logic because crystal has like 11 routines for it, all with different logic, so I don't want to accidentally omit something and introduce subtle bugs as a result). Once I do get this thing working though, I need to mess with the effect commands to change how it handles faintings (and also slight changes to Roar, Baton Pass and U-Turn), so I guess there's potential for conflicts there. I also intend to rewrite damage calculation, but that's a seperate change from what I've been doing now.

Last edited:
    Back