• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Thank you for the amazing job on Polished Crystal! <3

Here is my question:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2021
    I just want to know is chansy in the same spot I just want the grind to be faster even though it's already fast with 16x speed

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    This hack is comically impressive, I can't imagine how long it took to put in stuff like the move reminder and abilities. Awe-inspiring stuff.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Just wanted to say that this ROM hack is phenomenal and I absolutely love it! You and everyone involved did a great job and even tho I haven't finished it yet (playing on a Nuzlocke) it's one of the best hacks I have played so far.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2021
    What is the best grinding spot for 85_100 if it helps I do have the lucky egg got from the safari zone north

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • So... I've downloaded the most recent beta (according to github at least) and the game keeps crashing before I get to Mr. Pokemon's house. The exact spot varies but it's always the same thing, blue screen with an error message.

I've tried every starter, every setting in the pre-game options (except turning nuzlocke mode on, I don't like nuzlockes xD) and it still happens. Usually between getting the starter from Elm and leaving the first city north to access Mr. Pokemon's place. No idea what's wrong...

I'm using VBA-m if that matters.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So... I've downloaded the most recent beta (according to github at least) and the game keeps crashing before I get to Mr. Pokemon's house. The exact spot varies but it's always the same thing, blue screen with an error message.

I've tried every starter, every setting in the pre-game options (except turning nuzlocke mode on, I don't like nuzlockes xD) and it still happens. Usually between getting the starter from Elm and leaving the first city north to access Mr. Pokemon's place. No idea what's wrong...

I'm using VBA-m if that matters.

GBC game aren't very stable on VBA-M. Try bgb, if it still crashes there, then it's a bug in the hack.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hey again!
    So, I really do like what's been done with a lot of the pokemon as far as making a lot of them competitive where they really weren't before. But there's one 'mon that I think still needs some love, and that's my boy Arbok!

Would there be any way you'd consider making something like the following changes?
    Spoiler:

Rationale:
    Spoiler:

Overall, I think these changes would be a nice improvement for Arbok and open up some nice niches for it, while still keeping it relatively middle of the pack, competitively speaking. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on it, though!

Last edited:

JohtoQueen

She Be Trippin' Ballz
    Years
  • Hey bud. I joined this forum specifically to tell you how much I enjoyed playing your ROM edit on my YouTube channel. What you've made here is nothing short of spectacular! Fantastic job!

If you're interested in hearing my commentary and trash talk while playing your game, you'll find my channel by searching "Bad Girl's B*tch Blog".

N.A

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2020
    So playing through this romhack and it's one of my favourites so far. However I have two questions:

-Does the Pokegear call list still have limited slots? I would like to be able to have more slots just for rematches+content.

-Is it possible to add Norman in Olivine City? I know the NPC in the lighthouse mentions he moved away but it would be nice to see him right before he moves to Hoenn. Maybe the player shouldn't battle him until Jasmine's badge is collected. If he's defeated, he should give you a item or considering you're planning to add some Hoenn pokemon, a normal type from that region (Kecleon makes sense considering it was the first 3rd gen pokemon but it's ability would be a hassle to program). The only problem with this would probably be that you'd have to find a way to address his child. Maybe say they're at school or doing something.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • So playing through this romhack and it's one of my favourites so far. However I have two questions:

-Does the Pokegear call list still have limited slots? I would like to be able to have more slots just for rematches+content.

Last time I've checked (I am really not a pokegear call user I usually just farm the stone gifts of the certain few people) you were able to fit every person that gave you their number without issue.

also am I allowed mention how absolutely mental even the 2-pokemon core of Alolan Muk and Mismagius is?

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2020
    Spoiler:

I just beat Green and here is my team (made from Pokemon I like the most in Johto):
    FERALIGATRLV 80
    - Waterfall, Surf, Ice punch, Swords Dance
    ESPEON LV 80 (MVP)
    -Psychic, Double Team, Calm Mind, Reflect
    HOUNDOOM LV 78
    -Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot, Super Fang
    TOGEKISS LV 78
    -Air Slash, Fly, DazzlinGleam, Roost
    AMPHAROS LV 80
    -Thunderbolt, Thunder wave, Power gem, Strenght
    MILTANK LV 79
    -Body Slam, Curse, Earthquake, Fresh Snack

I had a lot of fun playing this game, although I had a LOT of trouble with Lance's shiny Dragonite and I was about to quit the game lol, but it was a great experience.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    MILTANK LV 79
    -Body Slam, Curse, Earthquake, Fresh Snack

When I search 'fresh snack' in Bulbapedia it brings back 'french snarl'. Is that a different translation of the English game for the move 'Milk Drink'? Oh ye, and your spoiler tag missed your text.

Is 2.2 in a completed state, or will more work be done to finalize it as the 'retro' version of Polished Crystal? 3.0 looks pretty snazzy but I just haven't tried patching the rom yet.

What is the best grinding spot for 85_100 if it helps I do have the lucky egg got from the safari zone north

You did play through as far as you could right? The grind is only necessary for the Battle Tower, and late game I knock out crobats, Red's friends I guess.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2021
    So, I just beat this Hack after sitting down and playing it non-stop for about three days now.

Up until the last hour or two of it, I was COMPLETELY on board with saying that this was my favorite rom hack that I've ever played.

But I absolutely detested how Red's team was changed.

I liked the Pikachu sprite, and was completely down with the levels being boosted- I was hyped to see everyone powered up. But changing his team and removing the crucial parts of it, i.e. all three starters, adding in the Gyarados, the little things- felt really wrong to me, and knocked it down a peg in my eyes. But I was still excited to see who the final battle was! Up until the fight with Oak, I was hoping it was him, to be honest. After that, I was worried it was gonna be Ash or something... But I was still optimistic! I was sure it would be great!

But it was just Green. Which, yeah! Seeing her in the game was cool! But Red being the final battle is a thing for a reason, ya know? He's consistently referred to in-universe as THE LEGENDARY TRAINER, the most powerful character ever to live- I was definitely a little less than excited to see him as the prequel to what essentially was just... Red, but in a skirt.

That being said, I really loved the hack! I thought it was a lot of fun, and I haven't even exited out of my GBC emulator until just a few minutes ago.

I get that my complaints are minor gripes at most, but I'm the first to admit that I'm a Red fanboy, so I was disappointed in that on a personal level.

That being said, the hack is easily a 9/10, 100% my favorite Crystal hack.

Some minor notes:

When I found the Map to Mew, I completely forgot about it, and didn't even know what it did until I googled it. Maybe add an NPC who stops you after you leave the mansion and talks about what it is?

The wonder trade system is really cool, and getting a shiny Pichu from myself was really fun! I do think it would be neat to add in an event where you catch that Pichu in game, to sort of tie that story together.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Pokemon News System does, if it's implemented any time soon.

I really didn't like the change in battle music for Red, since his original theme is so iconic.

I think it would be cool if you changed the dialogue for the E4 refights! I wasn't sure if I had missed something when they just repeated the same words they had the first time.

I couldn't find if Dragon Dance was a TM, but if it's not, you should make it one! I think it would be pretty neat.

Overall, I really loved playing through this, and will definitely recommend it to anybody who's looking for a fresh take on Gen 2!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    So, I just beat this Hack after sitting down and playing it non-stop for about three days now.

Up until the last hour or two of it, I was COMPLETELY on board with saying that this was my favorite rom hack that I've ever played.

Hi! I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed the playthrough; :D

But Red being the final battle is a thing for a reason, ya know? He's consistently referred to in-universe as THE LEGENDARY TRAINER, the most powerful character ever to live- I was definitely a little less than excited to see him as the prequel to what essentially was just... Red, but in a skirt.

This is one of the series' later additions/retcons, like Mega Evolution, alternate universes, legendaries as real gods, the regions not corresponding to Earth geography despite being obviously based on it, etc, that I choose to ignore. Red made sense as the final battle of GSC: he was the protagonist of the previous game, it's like fighting yourself. And he had three starters since you could have chosen any one of them / in Yellow he gets all three and Pikachu. Then FRLG came out and made Green/Leaf canon, so distributing the starters among Red, Green, and Blue (and likewise for some new Eeveelutions and fossils) felt like the obvious progression. As for Red being the best trainer ever, meh. He's no better than any other game's protagonist: they all become the Champions of their regions, and end up fighting legendaries at least as powerful as Mewtwo.

(I've occasionally thought of making an original post-GSC game that splits the "original protagonist" roles between Red and Green, since either was playable in FRLG. Like, Red could be more focused on battling Team Rocket, and would encounter Moltres in Victory Road, while Green could do more exploring and find things like the Gold Teeth, Zapdos, Articuno, etc. Obviously that wouldn't be the same continuity as Polished Crystal.)

When I found the Map to Mew, I completely forgot about it, and didn't even know what it did until I googled it. Maybe add an NPC who stops you after you leave the mansion and talks about what it is?

If someone never talks to the Seagallop Ferry sailor and learns what it is, then IMO Googling is fine, since it's a canon item. It's easier than figuring out the canon Deoxys event. :P

The wonder trade system is really cool, and getting a shiny Pichu from myself was really fun! I do think it would be neat to add in an event where you catch that Pichu in game, to sort of tie that story together.

You don't catch it; you acquired it via Wonder Trade. You're right though, I should make it so that trading the Pichu will trade it back with yourself, for whatever you originally sent.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Pokemon News System does, if it's implemented any time soon.

The nightly 3.0 beta build has replaced it with the Judge Machine for viewing EVs and DVs.

I really didn't like the change in battle music for Red, since his original theme is so iconic.

Wasn't the original just a repeat of the Champion theme? This has his music from the B/W PWT.

I think it would be cool if you changed the dialogue for the E4 refights! I wasn't sure if I had missed something when they just repeated the same words they had the first time.

It is different! Were you playing 2.2.0? That was released years ago; 3.0 will have a lot of changes. The new content is still incomplete enough that I can't justifiably release it, but the beta is entirely playable.

I couldn't find if Dragon Dance was a TM, but if it's not, you should make it one! I think it would be pretty neat.

It's not; I think nearly everyone who could learn it as a TM now has it by level-up instead.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2021
    Hi! I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed the playthrough; :D

This is one of the series' later additions/retcons, like Mega Evolution, alternate universes, legendaries as real gods, the regions not corresponding to Earth geography despite being obviously based on it, etc, that I choose to ignore. Red made sense as the final battle of GSC: he was the protagonist of the previous game, it's like fighting yourself. And he had three starters since you could have chosen any one of them / in Yellow he gets all three and Pikachu. Then FRLG came out and made Green/Leaf canon, so distributing the starters among Red, Green, and Blue (and likewise for some new Eeveelutions and fossils) felt like the obvious progression. As for Red being the best trainer ever, meh. He's no better than any other game's protagonist: they all become the Champions of their regions, and end up fighting legendaries at least as powerful as Mewtwo.

(I've occasionally thought of making an original post-GSC game that splits the "original protagonist" roles between Red and Green, since either was playable in FRLG. Like, Red could be more focused on battling Team Rocket, and would encounter Moltres in Victory Road, while Green could do more exploring and find things like the Gold Teeth, Zapdos, Articuno, etc. Obviously that wouldn't be the same continuity as Polished Crystal.)...

As it turns out, I WAS playing version 2.2.0. I have no idea how I managed to download the wrong version. I'll have to take a look at the new changes and see what's different in the 3.0 beta!

I get what you mean with regards to splitting the teams, it's just minor gripes from a self-proclaimed Red fan. While I do disagree with your interpretation of him as no better than any other protagonist, that's just my Bias showing. Also, with regards to the theme- The original Red theme is a much faster tempo than the champion theme from RBY, which adds to the climactic feel of facing off against him. But, I suspect that may have been changed in a later version- the song that played versus him during my earlier playthrough was completely different from his PWT theme, from what I can tell. That's all I really have left to say about Red and Green- It's my own bias, and I totally get WHY everything was changed.

I'll need to check out the 3.0 build and check out the DV checker, that seems super interesting!

And, lastly- Thank you for getting back to me and checking out this feedback! It's awesome to see a content creator responding to review/criticism even years after the Game released.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A recent feature: colored emotes.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

(Various other bug fixes and updates have been going on too.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've added Evening as a separate time of day from Morning, Day, and Night. It has different colors, but shares wild Pokémon with night.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    More Edits, please reread.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10131213#post10131213

Was this ever found by anyone else and were they successful at getting the item? The spoiler shows a diagram of where I'm having trouble in Seafoam Islands.

Unown will cause graphical glitches in its sprite and its dex entry if it is first owned through Wonder Trade. Don't know what it may mean for the events surrounded the ruins, vanilla or hack. :\

Last edited:
    Back