• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You're welcome! I've had fun making it.

my trainer card has some weird graphics on it, it shows on both Johto and Kanto gym leader badge sets, I'm not exactly sure why but I am playing with the encounter all shiny pokemon code you provided.

Hmm. Doesn't happen for me in BGB, VBA-M, or Android's VGBAnext. Try turning cheat codes off.

Sacred Fire doesn't damage and seems to have an effect similar to swagger instead, Flail also hits twice like double slap

Neither of these is happening for me. Could be a Gameshark issue, could be a corrupt ROM?

Sunflora almost one shot my Scizor with flamethrower (not sure if this one is intended)

Yep, it's buffed Grass/Fire now. :)

the top half of the Snorlax doll at Celadon department store glitches out when you stand in front of the cashier.

Yeah, I think there just isn't a way to have two large sprites at the same time plus a small sprite and the player. I already had to show only two at a time because the third would be completely invisible.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Working perfectly now thank you! It was probably a similar rom that I used instead oops. For anyone Googling for a Pokémon Crystal (UE) (1.0) rom its the one listed as Pokemon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.0) [C]

(Enable Time Set) that worked for me!

Edit: As a side note for anyone using Android some gbc emulators won't work with cheats, the one I used is myoldboy that works perfectly. Speaking of that as mentioned before to find the codes that works you have to compare both Pokemon Crystal and Polished Crystal right? If you do have some time would you be able to explain that a bit more and given the chance I'll happily search through all the codes I can find and post them here, thank you again!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Mooji, if you can get some cheats for this game, I'd be forever grateful as the grinding was killing me and I don't have time to spend to do all that. I'd love something for rare candies and infinite money.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Note: I don't guarantee that any Gameshark codes will actually work. If you run into glitches while using one, please turn it off and see if the problem still happens before reporting it.

So here's how Gameshark cheats work:

01xxAABB (or sometimes 91xxAABB) forces the value at memory address BBAA to xx.

If you compile pret's pokecrystal, it generates a file called pokecrystal.sym listing the source-code label of each address. Polished Crystal also generates polishedcrystal.sym.

So if you know that the codes 010F4ED8 01424FD8 013F50D8 give you ¥999,999 money in Pokémon Crystal, you can convert them to the Polished Crystal equivalents:

• The Crystal codes end in 4ED8, 4FD8, and 50D8.
    • So they apply to addresses D84E, D84F, and D850.
    • pokecrystal.sym has the line "01:D84E Money".
    • polishedcrystal.sym has the line "01:D855 Money".
    • Which means Polished Crystal stores money in addresses D855, D856, and D857.
    • So the equivalent codes are 010F55D8 014256D8 013F57D8.
    • But! Look at the three xx values: 0F, 42, and 3F. 0F423F is a hexadecimal (base-16) number, equal to 999,999 in decimal (base-10). But Polished Crystal supports up to ¥9,999,999. That's 98967F in hex. So you want 019855D8 019656D8 017F57D8.

Now you have ¥9,999,999 money!

Note that new versions of Polished Crystal are likely to change the RAM addresses as a side effect of new features and bugfixes. So always verify your codes when upgrading versions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    First things first - very enjoyable romhack. I'm having fun with it, but I ecountered a bug.

Female rocket grunt with password has unbeatable team. I know it's been talked about earlier and version 2.0.1 was said to fixed it, but I updated my game and her team is still eactly the same. Arbok 28, Qwilfish 29, Dunsparce 55, Blissey 51, Hitmonchan 111 and - wew lad - Exeggutor 137.

I tried reloading, choosing different save file (I have only 2 though, at similar moment of the game, since I play nuzlocke and I don't want savescumming to be an option), soft reseting, manual saving. Nothing.

I could start from the beginning but how the hell would I know if it's fixed? Maybe I did something wrong?

Ok I'm retarded, I just had to export it on PC, and patch it there, then upload back on my phone since patching on phone apparently didn't work.

Other thing is not really gamebreaking or anything, but boxing pokemon in nuzlocke mode heals them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    All of the Wonder Trade OT genders are now correct:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Other thing is not really gamebreaking or anything, but boxing pokemon in nuzlocke mode heals them.

This is the one healing possibility that I can't fix. Current HP is not stored in the PC, and it would take some major rewriting (and testing and debugging) to change the internal data structures. Not to mention it would break save files again. I'll consider data structure changes like this, along with decoupling shininess and gender from IVs, for 3.0 (no projected release date).

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Also where is the Silver Wing? I still haven't found it.

Catch all three legendary birds. (FAQ) Depending on your progress when you applied the 2.0.1 patch, you might need to beat the Elite 4 (thus respawning uncaught legendaries) and catch them again.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Here's the plan for Crossing Cave (tentative name), first floor:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

The player will notice it on Route 35, but has to beat Sudowoodo and get Rock Smash before they can cross over to the coast. Then they'll need Surf from Ecruteak to explore it, and Waterfall later on to see what's below.

Edit: I have an idea for the dungeon below that's new to GSC...

Last edited:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Is it possible to make the vines you used cut on and the rocks you smashed to be permanently destroyed? Just another quality of life feature that I want to suggest.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Is it possible to make the vines you used cut on and the rocks you smashed to be permanently destroyed? Just another quality of life feature that I want to suggest.

I'd have to add an event or flag for each one, which will definitely break saves. So not until 3.0 if at all.

Do XY/ORAS do this?

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • I'd have to add an event or flag for each one, which will definitely break saves. So not until 3.0 if at all.

Do XY/ORAS do this?

Some hacks in the past do it.. I think it would be a nice change since it helps get rid of those pesky bushes or whirlpools and would also be logical. Now maybe I wouldn't worry about rocks forming in one place just because you left the room for a second.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Just a question - do you think you could eventually replace the Gen 1 starters with the Gen 3 or Gen 4 starters? There's nothing really wrong with Zard, Toise and Venu, but I think it would make a nice chance of pace, and demake Pokemon are always cool to see.
    (Infernape, Empoleon and Sceptile are also my favourite starters...) :P

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Just a question - do you think you could eventually replace the Gen 1 starters with the Gen 3 or Gen 4 starters?

At some point I'd like to make a hack with selected Pokémon from all generations, but it won't be this one. Polished Crystal is limited to GSC Pokémon and their new evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Would it be possible to make it so you can use HMs in the overworld, without having to teach them to a Pokemon? It always makes me cringe a little to teach useless moves like Cut and Strength to anything and HM slaves take up team slots :(

Cannot wait to try 2.0 out, the previous version was already like my favorite hack ever

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Would it be possible to make it so you can use HMs in the overworld, without having to teach them to a Pokemon? It always makes me cringe a little to teach useless moves like Cut and Strength to anything and HM slaves take up team slots :(

That's why I buffed some of the HM moves. Cut is a 60 power Steel attack, Flash and Fly are 100% accurate, Strength is 90 power (matching Surf), and Rock Smash is 75 power (eventually I plan to give it Brick Break's screen-breaking effect). Surf and Waterfall were already good. Whirlpool... still sucks, but you only need it for the Whirl Islands sidequest.

I also decided that I like the idea of making Cut/Whirlpool/Rock Smash permanent, although this will have to wait for 3.0.

Cannot wait to try 2.0 out, the previous version was already like my favorite hack ever

Cool, thanks. :) 2.1 will have new areas to explore: I posted a preview of Johto's western sea earlier, and have some ideas for Kanto too.

Back