• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    something minor - caught a scyther in the bug catching contest and it's listed as being caught in the "goldenrod harbor"

Years
  • Just do a Nuzlocke on it and It's Amazing! I'm loving the Features in this Game. It's so Cool!
    I'll come Back in Case if I found any Bugs!
    Stay Cool! (P.S. I'm using a BGB Emulator) (and P.P.S. This is easily my Favorite Hack No Questions Asked)

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Wouldn't it make more sense to make Politoed Water/Psychic? I mean psychic is a TM often reccomended if you don't get a good hidden power. A water/grass typing for Politoed in the enhanced version doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Years
  • Hahaha. There can be only one!

Yes, 1/64 for breeding with shiny Ditto. Wild shinies should be 1 in 1,024; I could swear the shininess check routine is correct, but it seems like people are encountering quite a lot of shinies. Has anyone not run into a shiny Pokémon, apart from the Odd Egg, Red Gyarados, and Ditto egg? (And one more that maybe nobody encountered yet...)

I've found a Wild Shiny Elekid in Route 34 besides that I haven't found anything else(except for that fixed Shinies)

Years
  • Are you taking in consideration day time cycles like in IV Generation: "4:00 AM - 9:59 AM (Morning), 10:00 AM - 7:59 PM (Day), 8:00 PM - 3:59 AM (Night)"?

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The daytime cycles are currently based on Gen II.

How hard would it be to implement a 24h-clock option or metric display in the Pokédex? I liked those features of TPP:AC and I never understood you silly US people with your silly measurement systems :p

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    UGH...Not so sure of the implimentation of natures...I like the concept and all but with crystal being a second gen game I was hoping to get by using classic game strategies. That is unless the way stats work still uses the 2nd gen formula, Stat EXP as opposed to Effort Values like they do today.

My biggest concern is how hidden power will work right now as that move has a random base power and type depending on the stats of the pokemon. Does hidden power have a base power of 60 like in gen 6 games in this hack?

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    UGH...Not so sure of the implimentation of natures...I like the concept and all but with crystal being a second gen game I was hoping to get by using classic game strategies. That is unless the way stats work still uses the 2nd gen formula, Stat EXP as opposed to Effort Values like they do today.

My biggest concern is how hidden power will work right now as that move has a random base power and type depending on the stats of the pokemon. Does hidden power have a base power of 60 like in gen 6 games in this hack?

Hidden Power has 60 power like in Generation 6, yes.
    EDIT: This is incorrect, I just verified. In Faithful (the one that doesn't change Pokémon's stats), Hidden Power has a base power of 60. But in the non-Faithful version, Hidden Power has 70 base power.

Stat Exp still functions like in Generation II, so you can max out everything like usual. Natures do work like they do in Generation III-VI however, with one stat being boosted by 10% and another reduced by 10% (or, in the case of neutral natures, not boosting or reducing anything).

Last edited:
    Years
  • The Gen II daytime cycle is a bit unreal, in my opinion, since it's divided in three phases, excluding evening. I always assumed that G/S/C story happens during Summer, 6:00 PM being night in Summer is unlikely, that's why I find Gen IV daytime cycle "accurate".

Bug report: Breeder Julie from Route 34 can battle multiple times after refreshing the route.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    School and work has prevented me from playing 2.2.0. :(. How is it?

The main addition to 2.1.0 is natures. 2.1.0 expanded Johto's western ocean so you can Surf from Goldenrod straight to Olivine or Cianwood, and improved the stats display for your party. And of course there have been a bunch of bugfixes and tweaks.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make Politoed Water/Psychic? I mean psychic is a TM often reccomended if you don't get a good hidden power. A water/grass typing for Politoed in the enhanced version doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It's a green tree frog, and Starmie and Golduck are already Water/Psychic.

something minor - caught a scyther in the bug catching contest and it's listed as being caught in the "goldenrod harbor"

Interesting bug. Looks like the contest sets caught data differently than usual. Thanks.

The daytime cycles are currently based on Gen II.

How hard would it be to implement a 24h-clock option or metric display in the Pokédex? I liked those features of TPP:AC and I never understood you silly US people with your silly measurement systems :p

The Gen II daytime cycle is a bit unreal, in my opinion, since it's divided in three phases, excluding evening. I always assumed that G/S/C story happens during Summer, 6:00 PM being night in Summer is unlikely, that's why I find Gen IV daytime cycle "accurate".

I just changed that to use HG/SS' time boundaries. Morning is 4:00—9:59, day is 10:00–7:59, night is 8:00–3:59. Gen V and VI have evening, which would be nice to add at some point. (It could end up being complicated, since the current times—morn, day, nite, and cave darkness—fully use two bits, so some data structures might need expanding to three.)

I don't think the clock or unit options would be complicated. engine/timeset.asm:AdjustHourForAMorPM just has to check for the 12/24-hour option, and main.asm:DisplayDexEntry would do some conversion math on the height+weight. And the options menu would need compressing.

Bug report: Breeder Julie from Route 34 can battle multiple times after refreshing the route.

That's intentional. Breeders were repeatable in Gen V.

Hidden Power has 60 power like in Generation 6, yes.
    EDIT: This is incorrect, I just verified. In Faithful (the one that doesn't change Pokémon's stats), Hidden Power has a base power of 60. But in the non-Faithful version, Hidden Power has 70 base power.

Stat Exp still functions like in Generation II, so you can max out everything like usual. Natures do work like they do in Generation III-VI however, with one stat being boosted by 10% and another reduced by 10% (or, in the case of neutral natures, not boosting or reducing anything).

I don't think natures will affect your play strategy. Each Pokémon still has a range of possible stats based on an internal random number, it's just that the conversion of number to stats is no longer linear. (And also has a slightly wide range, since you can get a low DV and bad nature or high DV and good nature.)

For the 3.0 or 4.0 release, abilities are in the works, which would seriously affect strategy. And I'd like to switch to the new EV system as well, partly since that would free up 5 bytes in each Pokémon data structure.

Abilities at least could be optional—it would be simple to just build a version where all Pokémon have their ability set to 0=None. Personally I like most of them, especially Levitate. Espeon's Magic Bounce caught me off-guard the first time I saw it in Gen V, but you get used to the changes.

(Implementing EVs would alter internal data structures, so that'll break save files and won't be released any time soon. Abilities might end up being save-compatible, though, but they'll still take time to design.)

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Is there free space in the save file for options or would that entail breaking saves?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Is there free space in the save file for options or would that entail breaking saves?

Only two of the bits in Options2 are used, for Running Shoes and Nuzlocke Mode. As long as 0 means the default setting (12-hour clock and imperial units) saves should still work.

Edit: By the way, in TPP:AC engine/pokedex.asm:Function4424d prints the height+weight and main.asm:Function90b3e prints the time. The conversion of feet+inches to meters could be useful, since they're stored weirdly for the sake of easy feet-inch separation. (Hex 25B = dec 603 = 6'03".)

Last edited:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • The Gen II daytime cycle is a bit unreal, in my opinion, since it's divided in three phases, excluding evening. I always assumed that G/S/C story happens during Summer, 6:00 PM being night in Summer is unlikely, that's why I find Gen IV daytime cycle "accurate".

It's not a Bug, in V Gen Pkm Breeders are the only kind of trainers that rematch you countless times, afther you beat them you just have to wait a few minutes or enter and subsequently came out of a building, house, cave...and and repass in front of them to have one more Batlle...if you ask me, this hack is the best, for including details as tiny as these and not let them pass

Last edited:

Freeziepop

lulztastic
    Years
  • Hahaha. There can be only one!

Yes, 1/64 for breeding with shiny Ditto. Wild shinies should be 1 in 1,024; I could swear the shininess check routine is correct, but it seems like people are encountering quite a lot of shinies. Has anyone not run into a shiny Pokémon, apart from the Odd Egg, Red Gyarados, and Ditto egg? (And one more that maybe nobody encountered yet...)

This is my third trip through the hack (I never comment really but I'll make an exception for this amazing beast), and I've found one per playthrough until now-- I've found FIVE total wild shinies, which I thought was a bit odd. Two of them were almost back to back (spinarak and magnemite), so... Just my two cents.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Thanks for addressing my concern, but boy I feel like a jerk now for how I presented my issue.

Years
  • Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of that thing about Breeders in Gen V, my fault, because I don't know many things from the newest generations. :P

Back