• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The frame in the water animation where it goes entirely blue kind of bothers me:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

It's because the color for those dots cycles "light blue → white → light blue → dark blue", so the dots in that frame blend into the blue background. I hope it's not too jarring to change this:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Where can I read which trades are available in-game? I want to get a Machop but the traditional trade was changed.

Check engine/npctrade.asm. I'll add it to the FAQ.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
  • Here's a video of the Falkner battle demonstrating some new music and new features. (The recording is not as good as the original, there's some lag and desyncing.)
    I love the type-ID'ing going on with the move info boxes and the HP/etc look, and thought that was all, but then that Falkner slide-in and that music... I love it! Fitting too, since it's like when the anime plays that title screen remix during the final moments of some episodes--usually when Pikachu or someone is about to send Team Rocket flying. Just an idea here, but if you could somehow make/commission/however-you-do-it an 8bit rendition of "OK!" that'd be even better, since they use an instrumental remix of it during the end of big battles, and it'd be perfect for when the Gym Leaders do these cut-ins. And it'd be a fun callback to the opening song during the Johto days (which I'm currently reliving rewatching Johto in Japanese).

But I totally get if that's a no-go, haha. I love what you've done with this already, that theme sounds great, and I'm looking forward to 3.0.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I love the type-ID'ing going on with the move info boxes and the HP/etc look, and thought that was all, but then that Falkner slide-in and that music... I love it! Fitting too, since it's like when the anime plays that title screen remix during the final moments of some episodes--usually when Pikachu or someone is about to send Team Rocket flying. Just an idea here, but if you could somehow make/commission/however-you-do-it an 8bit rendition of "OK!" that'd be even better, since they use an instrumental remix of it during the end of big battles, and it'd be perfect for when the Gym Leaders do these cut-ins. And it'd be a fun callback to the opening song during the Johto days (which I'm currently reliving rewatching Johto in Japanese).

But I totally get if that's a no-go, haha. I love what you've done with this already, that theme sounds great, and I'm looking forward to 3.0.

Omg that instrumental version <3 I never knew the song's name. If there was a GBC-style remix of that song it would be awesome to see it in Polished Crystal. With that said, the current final Pokémon music in the Falkner video was still awesome.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • Hi Rangi!!
    I'm wondering if "will you add rematches for Lyra in 3.0?", I mean, in 2.0...in that final battle agains her before go to Victory Road I think that Anybody stays with the desire to fight again with her in future, in addition it's a shame that we can't listen again her unique battle theme song...Besides, she never shows us her starter pkm in his final evolution

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • What changes are planned for the next update? (Presumably 2.3)

Actually the next version is going to be 3.0. As far as I'm aware, saves from 2.2 won't work on 3.

3 will be adding a bunch of new content, some reworked areas and tilesets, improved battle scenes, probably some more options in game. According to the big man, "it's going to feel like a whole new game." I think he's adding an entirely new mini-region based from Pokémon Christmas as well. This is primarily why it's taking a while to make. New gui, more content, more artwork, all takes time. Me and a few others are helping speed up the process with dialogue Rangi needed

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    I just hope Rangi stays respectul to the original rules (I say it because of so many hacks that include random stuff like the Lv 200 cap). We are not helping with anything else but feedback but I believe that there are changes that no one is asking for, and hopefully the game can be like that. And yes there is what-if content like later-gen Pokemon but you gets the point.

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • I just hope Rangi stays respectul to the original rules (I say it because of so many hacks that include random stuff like the Lv 200 cap). We are not helping with anything else but feedback but I believe that there are changes that no one is asking for, and hopefully the game can be like that. And yes there is what-if content like later-gen Pokemon but you gets the point.

The closest to "extra" content here would be Nuzlocke mode, which is still an option. Considering the nature of the hack, we stay as true as possible to the original Pokémon "lore," remaining canon, if you will. I do hope the same, though, that Rangi does stay respectful to what the original goal is; to make a polished crystal with modern-is ideas.

On a side not, you mention a level 200 cap; that kind of thing would be very useful for large, multi region hacks in which the leveling gets to the point where everyone is 100. It has its place, but not in hacks of, say, fire red and such. What hack has this raised cap, though?

Ps. There might be some stuff he's hiding from us about 3.0, so we'll have to see when the time comes :D

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Regarding changes to the rules/mechanics, I stick to the official ones. With a few exceptions, I try to make them as modern as possible. So there are abilities, natures, Physical/Special split, 80 BP Leech Life, etc; but no increased level cap, no custom types, no invented damage formulas. Some exceptions: I'm not implementing the 510 total EV cap, because I find EV training tedious and it isn't fun to know that the Pokémon you start with will have sub-standard EV distributions since you battle random NPCs and wild Pokémon. Also, I invented an EV-based evolution method for the four trade evolution Pokémon (Kadabra, Haunter, Graveler, Machoke), but that's minor.

As for plot, setting, and characters: again, they're mostly official. The new maps are either from other games (Viridian Forest, Pewter Museum, Cliff Cave), natural additions (Cinnabar Volcano, Cerulean Cape), inspired by Pokéwalker routes (Yellow Forest, Quiet Cave), or tie-ins to the Pokémon Christmas continuity (Ecruteak Shrine, Shamouti Island). So, no custom cities or Gyms, no completely made-up characters, no drastic changes to old maps just for the sake of change.

The original maps like the Pokéwalker routes and Shamouti locations will be almost entirely optional sidequests. I'm trying to balance staying true to the original Crystal version, along with making the new areas not seem pointless. So they'll have unique features and events, but you can beat the game while skipping them.

Can't provide a reliable ETA, but this is everything that's left to add. I want to get all those save-breaking features done now so that people don't have to keep restarting their playthroughs with each update.

Back