• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Hey Soup just completed your hack earlier today and wanted to first say thanks as this is the best pokemon rom hack I've ever played hands down and I'm not even a huge fan of kanto. Anyway I could gush about this hack for ages but I'm sure heard it all before.

I just had some thoughts while playing and thought I'd share them with you and whether you implement them or read is up to you.

First small thing
    it would be nice to obtain weakness policy somewhere alongside other battle items like psychic seed and stuff. I've seen it's use in the game so it shouldn't be too hard maybe sell in celadon Idk?
    Also tm for beat up would be cool as it's really useful in double battles if you run it next to justified Mon but Idk if you think that'll be too OP

I also just wanted to hear your thoughts on nuzlocking the game.

In its current state now I think it is physically impossible to nuzlocke the game and the only reason I ask is cos because I think it'd be really fun if you could.
    You've buffed most weaker pokemon so I feel like whatever your first encounter is its bound to be useful in some way and the fact that there's like 800 pokemon obtainable makes repeat runs of nuzlockes extremely different. Also there's a randomizer included which doesn't randomise important trainers which again could be fun.

I feel like if you just created an additional version where the enemy trainers didn't have EV training and IV training a nuzlocke run would be possible. (maybe also a slight tweak to the elite four lol but hey who knows maybe just removing enemy EV and IVs is enough). But this is just a suggestion and I understand its your hack at the end of the day and this might not be where you want to take it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2020
    a gentle reminder that the list of pokemon locations for surfing and fishing (old/good/super rods) are getting a little outdated.

If you would like to, I can try to help update it (but require the data and access to the google excel

edit:
    I was just bad at reading the locations. For example, route 21 can be divided into cinnabar island, pallet town, the middle sea. Just make sure the sign appears "pallet town" and fish at that water, it counts as pallet town, otherwise, it could be either route 21/cinnabar island.

i tried deleting the post but failed, my bad.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Another run of radical red has been done. and im still loving all the changes you have done and the QOL you have done to the rom. the difficulty even after knowing what comes is still really good and almost no fight feels cheap since most have a counter you can use for. i would still say that for me the champ feels the weakest of the e4 but maybe its my team that can counter his somehow. either way loving all the changes you have done. will do a random run and then suffer with a mono poison run. also just in case update the FAQ here , mostly the fossil reviver location since you changed it. also to most people most wild mons hold good items. like weakness policies on the gravelers.

2020-10-25 02_43_08-VisualBoyAdvance-M (SVNGit_)- 31%(0, 60 fps).png

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2021
    Once I type the word stock,this version can't get in.Can you solve this problem?(I want to translate this version in Chinese.)Thank you😊

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 11, 2023
    Hey! Congrats on creating an incredible game :) Just beat Radical Red, here's my squad:

My thoughts:
    - I love how this game is difficult & challenging, yet you provide more than enough tools to succeed
    - LMFAO at the last battle just before the elite 4 (no spoilers)
    - Loreli, Blaine, Jasmine, and the last Giovanni fights forced the most soft-resets against me
    - I somehow managed to beat Bruno, Lance, & Blue on my first attempt
    - More double battles would be nice
    - As someone who's working on a Kanto game with Pokemon Essentials/RPGmakerXP + Drayano-esque Pokemon changes, I see so many of your brilliant ideas here for Pokemon buffs/nerfs. I'll credit any that are directly from this one.
    - It's only fair I offer some of my own ideas from my fangames:
    Spoiler:

- Very interested to see what you all come up now that the Crown Tundra mechanics are official

Once again, you have a lot to be proud of with this ROM hack. Eventing, coding, and balancing is no joke when it comes to Pokemon fangame development, believe me :)

Attachments

• Radical Red Champ.PNG
      Radical Red Champ.PNG
      41.2 KB · Views: 51
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    God.. How do you guys win vs Sabrina? This trick room is so hard.. Hatterene isn't faint at all. Anyone have a good idea?

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2021
    I just completed a playthrough of 2.1, and in the interest of difficulty, may I humbly submit the following observations:

Lt. Surge rematch - He had absolutely nothing to stop a very basic Earth Power/Recover/Stockpile Gastrodon. Perhaps reconfigure his team to include Rotom-Mow or maybe something like Eelektross or Zeraora with Grass Knot for coverage?

Erica rematch - She got easily steamrolled by Aerilate/Boomburst Swellow. I understand Grass is limited with regard to coverage, but maybe put a Focus Sash somewhere to stop a sweep.

Blaine/Pryce - Given they are running almost 100% monotype teams weak to rock, they could use a rapid spin/defog user to prevent taking tons of stealth rock damage. That is, of course, assuming the AI is capable of using the move appropriately.

Jasmine/Bruno - I know Bruno can use different teams, but the one he used in my run was all physical attackers who got swept by Eviolite Corsola-G with Night Shade/Will-o-Wisp/Strength Sap. It was basically the same thing with Jasmine although I do believe she had one special attacker. I reset Jasmine and saw she also had no answer for another basic Earth Power/Acid Armor/Recover Gastrodon. Perhaps Jasmine could use something like Air Ballon Empoleon with Grass Knot or Special Lucario for either?

On a related note, one final observation is the move Strength Sap is absolutely broken. I had never played anything beyond Gen 5 previously, so I wasn't familiar with the move, but I was able to 1v1 practically every physical attacker in the game with the silly Corsola-G set above, barring very few exceptions like Bisharp due to its ability or Drapion with Wicked Blow. That includes everything from Zacian to Mega Salamence to Melmetal on down. The only nerf I can think of without fundamentally changing the move or removing it would be to reduce its base PP from 10 to 5, so at least then the player has to use it more strategically instead of spamming it at will.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, appreciate your hard work on this excellent game!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2021
    God.. How do you guys win vs Sabrina? This trick room is so hard.. Hatterene isn't faint at all. Anyone have a good idea?

A lot of different things you can do beyond the obvious of just killing it before it sets Trick Room. You could have something use Taunt on it to block status moves or just let it go up and bring a team that's meant to function in Trick Room and beat her. Something like Golem/Golem-A/Mudsdale with Heavy Slam, Muk-A, etc....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    blaine does have rapid spin in its lead, mostly setup will always make the AI crumble due to it becoming predictable sadly. for surge maybe a mon with resists or good access to coverage is good. bruno has good teams so with the 3 or more of them is good. and yes strength sap is one of the most busted moves for most tanky mons or even sweepers . for sabrina taunt shuts her down well or if not you can go for the even more broken move in wide guard which makes sabrina a joke mostly due to most of her moves being spread ones. good mons for that job are stourjorner who also makes your ally stronger. another strat is using defog to take out the psychic terrain. if you have trouble with hat just focus on her , she cant take if 2 mons just attack her mostly. i did that in most of my runs. i have managed to reach to her ace with my leads both alive so sabrina is one of the scariest gym leaders until you see what breaks her mostly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2020
    Had to make an account to say I just beat this hack, it's dope. Probably the best I've played, ever. The improved AI along with legitimate strategies sets this ahead of the rest. Thanks for the experience!

By the way.. Lorelei's hail team pales in comparison to her rain team. I know I'm not alone when I say I just soft reset until I got her hail team!

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    A lot of different things you can do beyond the obvious of just killing it before it sets Trick Room. You could have something use Taunt on it to block status moves or just let it go up and bring a team that's meant to function in Trick Room and beat her. Something like Golem/Golem-A/Mudsdale with Heavy Slam, Muk-A, etc....

I try with Gengar Taunt.. but this stupid Hatterene has a magic mirror so it couldnt work.
    I guess Muk-A is really good idea. im gonna try it thanks bro

Years
  • Had to make an account to say I just beat this hack, it's dope. Probably the best I've played, ever. The improved AI along with legitimate strategies sets this ahead of the rest. Thanks for the experience!

By the way.. Lorelei's hail team pales in comparison to her rain team. I know I'm not alone when I say I just soft reset until I got her hail team!

a lot of people soft reset for the rain team; it's just dependent on your team composition.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2021
    I noticed in a recent version the gym guide now also states pokemon disobey if their level is too high. How many levels above the soft cap is that? For example, is the threshold for the Elite 4 anything that exceeds the normal 75 softcap or more around 77-78? I assume it's meant to at least stop gratuitous cheating with rare candy coding 10+ levels above everything. If the disobedience threshold is 1 level above the soft cap, however, I'd recommend replacing Rare Candies on the ground with Nuggets or vitamins as leveling is so fast they'd only be useful for money regardless and could render your Pokemon permanently unusable in the worst case. (going too high level before the E4)

Years
  • I noticed in a recent version the gym guide now also states pokemon disobey if their level is too high. How many levels above the soft cap is that? For example, is the threshold for the Elite 4 anything that exceeds the normal 75 softcap or more around 77-78? I assume it's meant to at least stop gratuitous cheating with rare candy coding 10+ levels above everything. If the disobedience threshold is 1 level above the soft cap, however, I'd recommend replacing Rare Candies on the ground with Nuggets or vitamins as leveling is so fast they'd only be useful for money regardless and could render your Pokemon permanently unusable in the worst case. (going too high level before the E4)

it's like 3+ levels above. the obedience cap isn't just for rare candy cheats, there are other EXP cheats that allow you to bypass the level cap without using rare candies. more importantly, it also stops the daycare exploit (using daycare also allows you to go above the level cap although it will take a ton of steps in the endgame lol)

Back