• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Oh, I see. That's because Rillaboom has Grassy Glide, which is a priority move under grass terrain. When I played, it outspeed my Cinderace which was 252 Speed and 252 Attack. The only way to attack first is using a move with higher priority, like Extremespeed. Other than that, sometimes the game will attack first because the opponent's Pokemon is holding a Choice Scarf. You need to pay attention to these details. But this isn't illegal, so I'm fine with that.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Oh, I see. That's because Rillaboom has Grassy Glide, which is a priority move under grass terrain. When I played, it outspeed my Cinderace which was 252 Speed and 252 Attack. The only way to attack first is using a move with higher priority, like Extremespeed. Other than that, sometimes the game will attack first because the opponent's Pokemon is holding a Choice Scarf. You need to pay attention to these details. But this isn't illegal, so I'm fine with that.

That's the thing- Rillaboom never used Grassy Glide. It was always HighHorsepower.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Oh, so the only thing I can think is that Rillaboom is holding an intem. That's strange, tho, I remember my Cinderace being faster than Rillaboom. But it was in version 2.0, I'll have to play 2.1 to find out if the difficulty is at a bullsh*t level right now.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Regardless, I dont see myself re-downloading this hack anytime soon. It's just way too tedious to play Radical Red right now. I hate making it sound like I'm dumping on soupercell's work, but F$%K, this hack is too much for me.

Years
  • Regardless, I dont see myself re-downloading this hack anytime soon. It's just way too tedious to play Radical Red right now. I hate making it sound like I'm dumping on soupercell's work, but F$%K, this hack is too much for me.

i can assure you there isn't any artificial difficulty involved with the AI outspeeding you, they're simply using optimal EV spreads. You very likely left a Macho brace on your Pokemon leaving them outsped, if I had to guess. everytime I've heard people complaining about this they've always done something stupid on their end, no offense.

Anyway it's pretty clear the game isn't for you so please stop flooding the thread with your comments it's getting kind of annoying lol

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • i can assure you there isn't any artificial difficulty involved with the AI outspeeding you, they're simply using optimal EV spreads. You very likely left a Macho brace on your Pokemon leaving them outsped, if I had to guess. everytime I've heard people complaining about this they've always done something stupid on their end, no offense.

Anyway it's pretty clear the game isn't for you so please stop flooding the thread with your comments it's getting kind of annoying lol

Funny enough- I never use the Macho Brace. But if you're gonna keep laughing at me for struggling, then fine, I wont post here anymore and I certainly wont be playing your hack anymore.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2022
    They're not the only one thinking this. I can agree with them, the difficulty can be tedious, maybe more for them than me though, and i really believe that adding some options about that could create the perfect pokemon romhack.

This is supposed to be a difficulty romhack. But at the same time, you have all these features, all these pokemons up to gen 8, all these new attacks and modern pokemon mechanics. So i think this could be even more than a simple "really difficult ROMhack". I don't know if i make much sense here, but i've seen a good number of people (mainly on reddit but i have seen a few here as well) that really want to enjoy the romhack because of all the effort you put into it (btw, take all the time you need for updates, the game already has a TON of content) but can't, because they simply don't have fun.

This hack isn't for everyone, sure, that is a valid point and i agree with it. But i genuinely believe it could be, or at least be very close to it. Being able to turn on or off some restrictions at the beginning of the game would unlock a TON of different challenge runs, solo runs (since you don't even need HMs anymore), nuzlocke runs, monotype runs (i have seen some people say they suceeded in some, but i haven't seen results), DTQs, Professor Oak challenges...

For me and i'm sure a lot of people, difficulty isn't what makes a game good. I enjoy the hack and i think it is really good. But i also think it could be even more, that there's a lot of potential left untouched. I am gonna even go as far as saying that with flexible restrictions, this hack could be on par with GameFreak's pokemon games.

But, like Reggie once said, "if it's not fun, why bother ?"

Once again, i am not hating on the game, i think you put out a ton of effort into it, and that it's amazing. I am not saying the difficulty should disappear : in fact, the vanilla experience and the "true" experience should be this. I am also aware that these ideas don't come true in 2 seconds, you will need some time, and i am ready to wait a year if you want to take a year. I just want to give some thoughts on how to make it even better, and accessible for everyone. I want more people to be able to enjoy this hack to the fullest, without being turned off by these restrictions.

Inb4, "mad cuz bad"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2021
    hello i seem to have a problem whit evolving corvisquire, is it a bug or there a hidden way to evolve him?

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Bros i was wondering if celesteela is in the game since I'm at Erika and she is beating my sand team to a bloody pulp like fr her Rillaboom spams Grassy Glide on the mfkn grassy terrain and her first turn is usually Swords dance soo yeah.....

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2022
    I can't find the expert belt in the doc and seem to have missed it. Where do I find it?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Bros i was wondering if celesteela is in the game since I'm at Erika and she is beating my sand team to a bloody pulp like fr her Rillaboom spams Grassy Glide on the mfkn grassy terrain and her first turn is usually Swords dance soo yeah.....

Use your first turn to defog the terrain away, or inflict status on the monkee. Crobat wrecks her silly little face BTW.

Years
  • They're not the only one thinking this. I can agree with them, the difficulty can be tedious, maybe more for them than me though, and i really believe that adding some options about that could create the perfect pokemon romhack.

This is supposed to be a difficulty romhack. But at the same time, you have all these features, all these pokemons up to gen 8, all these new attacks and modern pokemon mechanics. So i think this could be even more than a simple "really difficult ROMhack". I don't know if i make much sense here, but i've seen a good number of people (mainly on reddit but i have seen a few here as well) that really want to enjoy the romhack because of all the effort you put into it (btw, take all the time you need for updates, the game already has a TON of content) but can't, because they simply don't have fun.

This hack isn't for everyone, sure, that is a valid point and i agree with it. But i genuinely believe it could be, or at least be very close to it. Being able to turn on or off some restrictions at the beginning of the game would unlock a TON of different challenge runs, solo runs (since you don't even need HMs anymore), nuzlocke runs, monotype runs (i have seen some people say they suceeded in some, but i haven't seen results), DTQs, Professor Oak challenges...

For me and i'm sure a lot of people, difficulty isn't what makes a game good. I enjoy the hack and i think it is really good. But i also think it could be even more, that there's a lot of potential left untouched. I am gonna even go as far as saying that with flexible restrictions, this hack could be on par with GameFreak's pokemon games.

But, like Reggie once said, "if it's not fun, why bother ?"

Once again, i am not hating on the game, i think you put out a ton of effort into it, and that it's amazing. I am not saying the difficulty should disappear : in fact, the vanilla experience and the "true" experience should be this. I am also aware that these ideas don't come true in 2 seconds, you will need some time, and i am ready to wait a year if you want to take a year. I just want to give some thoughts on how to make it even better, and accessible for everyone. I want more people to be able to enjoy this hack to the fullest, without being turned off by these restrictions.

Inb4, "mad cuz bad"
    I completely agree with your point. This is technically a difficulty hack, but it has so many awesome features, I think it can appeal to a much larger audience if there were simply some optional additional patches to adjust difficulty- For example, eliminating level restrictions on the player. That simple change would greatly increase the playability for many players.

Years
  • I'm not making an easy version, this is final. The intent for this project from the start was to make a difficulty hack like none other, and that obviously delivered.

If you don't like the difficulty that's fine; this game isn't for you then. There's nothing wrong with that. But I'll give a little reasoning as to why I chose to make this game difficult.

I've seen plenty of people that came into this game a complete casual, and digged into team building, building optimal sets and EV spreads, and just getting better at Pokemon as a whole. I understand some of you didn't enjoy this experience but many found this very rewarding. Furthermore, 90% of ROM hacks and Pokemon games as a whole are a seriously brain dead experience of just using practically any Pokemon and just mashing A when you have:
    • a slight type advantage
    • you're just 10+ levels above the opponent
    I've obviously tried to deter from the standard formula and focus on the core gameplay of Pokemon, which I think delivers a cathartic experience when you construct a powerful team to disassemble a boss's broken team. This was the experience I envisioned for everyone playing my hack which is among one of the reasons why I don't want to have an easy version. And on top of that, I'm not going to spend extra effort making a version of the game I simply don't care about. ROM hacking is obviously a hobby, I get nothing out of this. I've only done this out of my free time and passion. I have zero passion in making a vanilla or an easier version.

Anyway another thing that probably gets overlooked is that this game actually has only gotten more casual friendly since its first release lol (Easier grinding for both EXP and EVs, easier ways to obtain money, raid battles, Nature Changer, etc...)

You guys simply want an easy version because there isn't another Fire Red hack like this out there - in time, I hope more ROM hacks begin using CFRU or decomps so that you guys can obtain a similar experience.
    Be on the lookout for Saffron, Unbound, Ultra Heart of Fire, and GS Chronicles. I get that many of you like playing Pokemon hacks casually for a relaxing experience - that's completely understandable. You'll just have to look elsewhere.

And if you want something similar that's much easier you can check out Last Fire Red

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2022
    I get that many of you like playing Pokemon hacks casually for a relaxing experience - that's completely understandable. You'll just have to look elsewhere.
    Happy to see that you understand. It's fine for me, i'll take your recommandations and i'll look into them.
    That doesn't mean i'll stop playing your hack though, i still think it's an enjoyable experience for me at least.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Ended up making an account here just to say thank you for the amazing rom hack.

On my 2nd run through and this time restricting myself even further with monotype run. Really glad you make this rom hack difficulty as it is.
    It's really a fun experience when your effort to prepare for the gym fight is rewarded when you manage to beat them. Preparing drought and passho berry for misty and using destiny bond on onyx or using focus sash rotom on the rival's mega blastoise for fire monotype run is some fun experience that you'll never get in the normal pokemon game experience.

I'm sure this game difficulty isn't something that's for everyone, but i'm sure there's a lot of people who enjoy this difficulty and especially the level cap restriction. I really like the level cap in particular because i don't need to trouble myself to check next gym level limit and forcing myself to progress in a way that make sure i don't pass the level limit.

Once again, thanks for the amazing game. Hope we can rechallenge the gym leaders and elite 4 at the end game using different teams so that i don't need to start from scratch each time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Use your first turn to defog the terrain away, or inflict status on the monkee. Crobat wrecks her silly little face BTW.

lol I actually forced a win through luck using ice punch tyranitar i literally killed all of them while they were frozen

Back