• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Regular Red (beta v0.9.6.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2023
    Join the Discord

Introduction

Like many other people, I've been frustrated with the lack of difficulty in Pokémon games. I've started working on a difficulty hack a couple of times in the past but never got very far due to a lack of time and not being able to add all the features I wanted. At the start of this year, I had a lot of time on my hands and with access to new resources I decided to give it another go. I've now arrived at a point where the main game is pretty much complete and I'm mostly concerned about balancing. I've given the player a lot of overpowered tools, but I currently don't have enough time to test it all by myself. That's why I've decided to post here. If you're looking to just play through a difficult ROM then you can already do that with this ROM. It's certainly lacking a bit of polish, but the main game can be completed. If you're enjoying the challenge and want to help me out a bit then I would appreciate that.

What is this game like?

This is a difficulty hack of Fire Red that has been made with nuzlocking in mind. This means that you'll frequently encounter routes that only have Pokémon of the same type or that are all good for an upcoming section of the game. Some Pokémon will still be better than others, but you don't need lucky encounters. I've also rebalanced some of the moves to remove a bit of rng from the game, but there is still plenty of rng since this is Pokémon. If you are crazy enough to attempt to nuzlocke this then I recommend looking up the documentation.

Every trainer has a new team with custom moves, most trainers have EVs and many also have held items. All potions have been removed from the AI since those can either be abused or they're completely broken. Most random trainers are skippable just like they were in the original game, but mandatory trainers have been made more difficult. Pretty much all bosses have a full team and the rival's team changes constantly as it always should have, in my opinion. Outside of the trainers, Pokémon, wild encounters, and available items little has been changed. My aim was to create a more difficult version of gen 1 and not a version of gen 1 that has everything. This is why you will only see gen 1 Pokémon, their later gen evolutions and Alolan forms during the main game. Both the player and the AI get very powerful very quickly. Once you reach Vermillion City you will have access to most moves thanks to a free move relearner that knows egg moves and a ton of TMs from the pokemarts, but the AI has access to the same moves. Many useful hidden abilities have been made available as regular abilities and you get access to ability pills before the first gym so that a Pokémon's usefulness won't depend on getting lucky with your ability.

To allow certain trainers to reach their full potential the level curve is very steep compared to a normal game. However, you won't need to grind endlessly. You get a lot of exp, but if you need to train up new Pokémon or want to skip random trainers then you have access to an infinite amount of rare candies. EV training also becomes very easy once you reach Lavender Town. I wanted it to be possible to get through the game quickly and as long as you can actually beat the battles then this is definitely possible.

Features
    Spoiler:

Screenshots
    Spoiler:

GIFs
    Spoiler:

Download and documentation

Beta testers
    I'm currently looking for people that are interested in helping me beta test the game. I'm mostly looking for people that are experienced with set mode since that is the mode that I'm balancing around. If you want to help then let me know on Discord. People who help me out a bunch can get their own trainer in the post game.

Credits
    Spoiler:

Join the Discord

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I don't think having to only use the original 151 is a good idea. Drowning in creatures isn't reccomended either, but it's better to have variety than to use the same thing for the billionth time.

The biggest issue here is that you are including modern moves and mechanics. I doubt anyone is going to complain about having variety.

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
    This hack sounds fun, but as the above person said, using only the original 151 isn't a good idea. Probably add the others included on the vainilla FR (Hoenn/johto) maybe?

But hey it's your hack.
    Anyway I'm gonna try it.

Back