• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Roaming Red - Beta 3.1 available

Absolumont

Obsessive Clothes Shopper
Years
  • No idea if this is a common glitch, but haven't played the game in a while (since 2018, according to the details) and when I booted it up today, the game just said my "file data was destroyed"?? And starting a new game starts a completely normal game of red??

My settings were starting with gandesha in cinnabar (and I think i named the randomization seed ACE, or something like that). I wasn't super far in, so I'm fine with starting over again (though it looks like I might have to redownload it...), but I was just wondering if this a common glitch? Or if maybe somehow I did this? (but I have no idea how...)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I tried loading save states. The first three gave my vba errors, while the second showed My Magmar facing off against a weak pikachu, but it was one of those screaming freezes. No idea if you needed to know that, but I figured I should mention it

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2021
    Is it currently possible to catch every pokemon in game? I.E obtain starters version exclusives and or evolve trade evolution pokemon?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2020
    I love the ideas in the this hack and started a new game with it. The way I see it, this is how the game should've been where you can go anywhere and hunt down your team, challenging trainers along the way to grow strong enough to start taking on the Gym Leaders.

Some feedback:

Randomization. First time I played it was a test to see how it worked. I randomized everything. Chose Gastly as my started and Saffron City as my hometown. Went west to Route whatever and, I kid you not, the first wild pokemon I encountered was a level 9 Mewtwo. I just laughed. I would be interested to know if it would be possible to instead make this compatible with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer which has a lot more fine-tuned options to randomize the games without allowing wild Mewtwos or Masterballs. For the 'for reals' game I started with this hack, I just turned off the randomization settings and started in Pallet Town. with Gastly as my starter again.

Gym Leaders. In your description, you wrote that you toned down the level scaling at least until you get your first badge. I actually think this is unnecessary as how I think this hack should be played is seeking out the pokemon you want for your team of 6 (that's how I like to play anyway) and taking on most of the trainers and THEN tackling the Gym Leaders. I think the Gym Leaders should be the strongest trainers in the game, aside from the Elite Four, with full teams of powerful fully-evolved pokemon. Even sticking to their types, you could give them some moves to counter the player breezing through the fight by exploiting type advantage. From what I've seen, the Pokemon Blue Kaizo hack did a good job on that aspect.

Level Scaling. I love the level scaling on trainers, though I do wonder if you have level brackets or "encounter zones" built in so that some that some types of trainers (cooltrainers? rockets?) are automatically a higher level than, say, bugcatchers? I do wonder though if the level scaling on wild pokemon should've been left alone. My starter is level 20 something now just from taking on the trainers and wild pokemon from Viridian Forest to Nugget Bridge and I still haven't gotten any Badges (cause I'm saving them for last). But when a wild Kadabra appeared instead of a wild Abra in the grass, I realized I needed to capture and save a low level pokemon. If I put the rest of my leveled pokemon into the PC and take out a low level one, I can go hunting for pokemon and they will as low level as possible again so I get more time to train them and pick their movesets. If I don't, the more I level the more I lose out on raising the wild pokemon myself. Also with both wild pokemon *and* trainers scaling to your level, grinding becomes *always* rewarding. Take a pokemon out into the wild and level them up and the enemies will keep adjusting their level higher and higher, giving them more and more experience necessary to level up more and more. I think it would be more balanced if just trainers had level scaling since there are a limited number of them.

Graphics. Some hacks, like Blue Kaizo, I can patch the Red/Blue full color/gen 2 sprites hack over it and the game runs fine. Sadly, I wasn't able to do that with this one. I was wondering though if you had any plans to do this hack on FireRed to get the benefit of all the new graphics and rebalanced mechanics? Though I would prefer an option to remove any pokemon past the original 151 from that game.

Anyway, thanks for reading and hope the feedback is helpful. Awesome implementation for a hack.

Last edited:
    Back