• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Shiny rate

Years
  • Hello everyone,

I am currenty working on FR dex hack, using MrDollSteak's Decap and Attack Rombase, lots of resource material etc.

My goal is to create some kind of my own kind-of ROMbase with several gimmicks (e.g. reusable custom TMs) that I will later transform into complete Romhack with everything it should have (new story, maps, etc.)

One of those things I want to implement is super high chance of meeting a Shiny. We are talking about 50% chance. I wanted to have two colour versions of each pokémon, simply because not all cats you meet are black, not all dogs are white, you get the point.

+ two colour palletes for each pokémon
    - Shiny will not be valuable anymore

What do you guys think?

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Sounds nice but 50% is kind of high. Takes the thrill of the hunt away.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • In G/S/C, the "shinyness" is determined by the IV values of the encountered pokemon and thus to make shinies more common all you got to do is to hack the routine that checks if the IV values of the encountered pokemon match some "predetermined" (sort of..) values. If they do, the pokemon is shiny.

The required change to the routine is almost trivial to be done, but the difficult part about the job is finding where to write the change (although this isn't so bad either). I don't know if shinies are determined with another way in GBA pokemon games, but if not, someone who knows gba asm language and how to "backtrace" code could implement a change like this rather easily.
    Taking out the sparkling effect could be a bit more difficult yet no way undoable.

Years
  • Thanks for all the feedback :) I already have the tool, it actually bring me to that idea. Still, I am kinda new to ROM hacking. I guess turning off the sparkling and the red star in the summary might be able through some hex editting...

Back