• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Speech

Years
  • Last May in my public speaking class, we had to give a PowerPoint presentation for our final exam. We got to choose the style of speech and the topic, whatever we wanted as long as it was appropriate. I wanted to do something special. I wanted to do something that I knew that no one else would do, but yet still meant a lot to me. After sitting around and thinking, I came up with the perfect topic: Pokémon.

I sat and brainstormed, asking myself "How am I going to do this?". I knew it was the perfect topic and yet, I couldn't think of a way to do it that would make sense. It was difficult and I almost considered giving up and choosing another topic. And then it hit me: give a brief history on the franchise itself, talk a bit about the franchise, and teach others how to play the game. I had to do all of this in a ten minute frame for my speech, but I managed to make it work.

A few days ago I found my old flash drive (which I thought was lost) and it still has my PowerPoint. I thought some people may be interested, so I compressed it to a .zip file and uploaded it.

While some parts of the PowerPoint itself make little to no sense without hearing my speech, I kept to a rule I learned: try to keep it below six words per line. It wasn't supposed to be our speech, it was supposed to accompany it and highlight the important details. So unfortunately, some of it may seem a bit odd.

I hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• pkmn.zip
      451 KB · Views: 42

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • I'd download it, but I like saving my disc space. Can you upload images of each one to a site like majhost?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • glad you had fun with it. I'd never be confident enough to something like that. XD

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • You should have done a speech on how HM slavery is poke-cruelty....... :o

But yeah, I don't feel like viewing it right now because it will probably take a long time to load on my computer, but I will later and then comment. :D

It was alright, it went by kind of fast on some parts though. And as you said, it seemed like a lot of info to cram into ten frames without completely explaining them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2010
    You really are a Pokemon fanatic. Your project must have had a high grade because it is unique.:D I don't have the same spirit as yours. When I come up with an idea for an assignment or project in school that is related to Pokemon, I erase it right away. I just thought it wouldn't work. You gave me a good point on this one.

Years
  • You really are a Pokemon fanatic. Your project must have had a high grade because it is unique.:D I don't have the same spirit as yours. When I come up with an idea for an assignment or project in school that is related to Pokemon, I erase it right away. I just thought it wouldn't work. You gave me a good point on this one.
    Well thank you!

I got an A. I would have had an A+, but my outline wasn't correct in a few places and I only got a 70% on the outline.

I still remember my teacher thought the title slide was adorable. When she saw it, she exclaimed "Aww, look, he's winking! How cute!".

On our review sheet, my teacher wrote that my 'PowerPoint was wonderful' and I 'showed great enthusiasm for the topic at hand'. I just wish I had the outline nailed. =/

Years
  • Wow! That was really good! You deserved that A. I would never do something related to pokemon in school, I'd be way too embarassed.
    Well thank you so much!

Honestly I was the same way, but I got a little bit of help. First off, it was the final assignment and I felt that I knew my classmates well enough and they wouldn't mock or insult me. Secondly, another kid had brought in a deck of Pokémon cards for a 'show and tell'-style thing we did earlier in that class. He managed to make money by playing in tournaments. I think he was actually really relieved to see that someone else in class enjoys the series just as much as he does.

This was one of the best topics I could have chosen, if not the best. She always told us to pick a topic we were familiar with, because it will help ease the pressure of speaking. I always get extremely nervous when I have to give a speech, but following that really managed to calm my nerves. It felt no different than talking to everyone personally because I was so relaxed thanks to being familiar with the topic.

Years
  • I can't imagine how my class would react to this as most students are stubborn immature (insert word too strong for forums here), but i liked it, you should have mentioned pickachu and tell about it's origin instead of explaing battles though.

Years
  • I can't imagine how my class would react to this as most students are stubborn immature (insert word too strong for forums here), but i liked it, you should have mentioned pickachu and tell about it's origin instead of explaing battles though.
    Ah yes, the stubborn classes. They were really, truly awful.

The main thing I wanted to get across was how to play the games. I wanted to slightly introduce people to the franchise in general, and then discuss the video games. Plus, I strongly disagree with Pikachu being the franchise mascot. I think he's had his run and it's time for a new one.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I have had an entire speech on the EarthBound franchise sitting on my computer for 3 years or so, I'm waiting for my school to have an oral assignment on something I enjoy.....

Back