• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon the Lost World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • That was totally uncalled for moose.
    He made an account just to congratulate our project.
    Show some respect =/.

Waudby

Imagine how many more people would play it if it were available on a mobile device. Wouldn't it take much more work?

The game is made in Sphere, which is available cross platform already (minus the editor) however to correctly port this to a psp or NDS or other portable devices would require significant changes to the engine which quite frankly will never be made, as it would be easier to start from scratch.

Please remember that Sphere is 12 years old, so some newer software may have made porting easier but this project definitely wasn't intended to be portable.

KlassicXL

Death & Design
    Years
  • Yeah, I was thinking about the whole publicity aspect of the game. I do think it should remain strictly for the computer though.

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2010
    Sphere on DS would require someone to put in a heck of a lot of work to port the back end. And I really can't see it happening. Sorry.

aerowolf

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    Hey guys, I made an account here for the sole purpose of congratulating you guys on your work so far, it looks amazing, and I can't wait until the release. However, I do have one question. will there be a way to play it on a portable device, such as an ipod touch or a DS?
    If there is a way to turn it into a GBA or DS ROM, this may perhaps become more epic than RBY was back in the day.

good luck!

While I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing this could be put on a DS or like things, there are issues that will vastly complicate that.
    Firstly, as others have mentioned, is formatting. It would need to be converted into a format that a DS can recognize. I don't know whether Sphere could be recognized on the DS, but, from what I gather from the other posts, I doubt it without much work and many changes.
    Secondly, and probably most important, is filesize. A .ds file (the usual format for ds games) has a filesize limit, and thus limits the features that can be put on it (I have been yelled at a few times for my idea on a hack because of this issue). I've come to realize that this is the reason that nintendo does not have more than 4 moves on a pokemon at a time, why they don't put in more than one region at a time, and many other things. Simply, with all the memory they have to have with 493 pokemon, two gender versions, and shinies of both of those, then you add up all the data that comes from creating routes, trainers, etc, everything that comes with creating a region, and you can see how quickly the storage available is eaten up.
    Unfortunatelly, I'm not super-familiar with the .ds file format, what the actual size is, or what it can do, but what I do know is that if this game was ported to the ds or other mobile device, a lot of features would have to be nixed...and/or graphics would suffer as well. I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

Waudby

While I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing this could be put on a DS or like things, there are issues that will vastly complicate that.
    Firstly, as others have mentioned, is formatting. It would need to be converted into a format that a DS can recognize. I don't know whether Sphere could be recognized on the DS, but, from what I gather from the other posts, I doubt it without much work and many changes.
    Secondly, and probably most important, is filesize. A .ds file (the usual format for ds games) has a filesize limit, and thus limits the features that can be put on it (I have been yelled at a few times for my idea on a hack because of this issue). I've come to realize that this is the reason that nintendo does not have more than 4 moves on a pokemon at a time, why they don't put in more than one region at a time, and many other things. Simply, with all the memory they have to have with 493 pokemon, two gender versions, and shinies of both of those, then you add up all the data that comes from creating routes, trainers, etc, everything that comes with creating a region, and you can see how quickly the storage available is eaten up.
    Unfortunatelly, I'm not super-familiar with the .ds file format, what the actual size is, or what it can do, but what I do know is that if this game was ported to the ds or other mobile device, a lot of features would have to be nixed...and/or graphics would suffer as well. I hope this answers your question.

Well the ds roms can support a different mixture of sizes I believe, a lot of the standard RPG games for it are the 128mb roms. And that just wouldn't simply be enough space for the size of this game.

Another problem would be the differences in APIs between the systems. I mean, look at RMXP it is windows only I believe, at least with Sphere you can get Linux and Mac users as well, so be thankful :P

It's not thegame that would need to be ported to the consoles, it's the engine, and as Rhuan stated it would require too much work to be done.

You'd do best to go into trying and creating homebrew roms, you'd be able to make your own before a SphereDS is ever released :P

Waudby

Also, this is an MMO isn't it? Would Nintendo's Wifi be able to support the amount of players?

Well technically it's wifi should be able to support an unlimited number of players, but that would cause considerable loss in network speed and cause lag.

Now back on topic:

@ any one on the team who will know: Any chance of releasing some screenshots for us fans to take a peek at, we haven't seen much from in game...

Elevat0r

$.Master Roger.$
    Years
  • okay this is a dumb question but when can we probably expect to play it? i dont mean that is it done by the end of the month or so, but i wanted to ask that what do guys(the owners and staff of the lost world) think where will you be with it by the start of summer?

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Also, this is an MMO isn't it? Would Nintendo's Wifi be able to support the amount of players?

It's not exactly an MMO...it has online mode though.

@ any one on the team who will know: Any chance of releasing some screenshots for us fans to take a peek at, we haven't seen much from in game...

As far as I know, there is currently no ingame footage for the updated game.

Yeah, I'd really love to see some screens of this game in action, also.

Read Above

okay this is a dumb question but when can we probably expect to play it? i dont mean that is it done by the end of the month or so, but i wanted to ask that what do guys(the owners and staff of the lost world) think where will you be with it by the start of summer?

There is currently no known release date for the project.

~Mooshykris

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • 1. whatever.
    2. I did read the rules
    3.I never asked for a release date
    4. thank you for answering my question
    5. i know it's not a ROM, i was wondering if it could be ported, or be made to work on a portable device.
    6. Opinions are opinions, whatever.

Well, I'm not sure why you would have a username of "I don't belong here." That's why I said if you don't belong here, you should leave. I was trying to be sarcastic but you can't really tell on the internet.

Atomic Reactor

I've talked to CA, and I was suppose to provide him a sprite of himself so that he could take in game pics. But uh, I couldn't really get the hat to work, so who knows! lol.

Atomic Reactor

lol. i already sent it to him. he said he would try making the hat.
    so it's just a matter of time before in game screens come...
    but he may change his mind.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • okay this is a dumb question but when can we probably expect to play it? i dont mean that is it done by the end of the month or so, but i wanted to ask that what do guys(the owners and staff of the lost world) think where will you be with it by the start of summer?

not to be mean, I in no way intend to be so, but the game probably won't be ready enough to make a rough estimate for a few more years

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Well it definitely won't be done tomorrow... Probably not even within the next several months, have you even seen the scale of this game? I expect a release date of late 2010 to mid 2011, at the very least...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back