• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéSpe Black and White

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
    @ Rechi
    Your whole post, yes.

The manga is an offshoot of the games, not the other way around. If the mangaka seriously can't cope with a slight change of formula then he really doesn't deserve to be writing a long running plot at all.

And we all know that isn't true. It'll be fine.

really think they'll drop Belle/Cheren just like Wally. The question is : which one will be dropped ? :|
    Seriously? Wally wasn't dropped, he was a pretty major character that was written out in a very poor way (I hope nothing like that never happens again)

I honestly can't see any of the 4 major B/W characters being left out. They'll give the starters to 3 of them, and give Chiramii or the new Pikachu-alike to the last one. The mangaka has never completely left out such major characters before, I doubt he'll start any time soon.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    YELLOW! IS! AWESOME!
    Pardon me! Yellow is the exception that proves the rule, I was leaning more towards Emerald and the Rocket Executives.

Though I came in here because something else occurred to me: There's game exclusive locations as well. I'm wondering how they'll work in Black City and White Forest, if at all. It'd be easy enough just to say they're two separate areas that are near each other I guess, but I imagine they'll be important areas to the game.

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
    Though I came in here because something else occurred to me: There's game exclusive locations as well. I'm wondering how they'll work in Black City and White Forest, if at all. It'd be easy enough just to say they're two separate areas that are near each other I guess, but I imagine they'll be important areas to the game.
    There are multiple ways it could be worked in. If Black and White are about Yin and Yang, and there may be some dimensional crap at work too, then maybe the protagonists could be seperated and forced to do trials or something in these exclusive locations?

For example assuming the male is named Black and the female is named White, Black would be sent to Black City and White to White Forest.

Just spitballing here, but yeah there are hundreds of possibilities. If the mangaka has any sense of imagination at all then it'll be no problem.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Grey isn't confirmed yet. So maybe there's no third version, which means no third Pokédex holder.

grey†fish

not black or white… or gray :]
    Years
    GameFreak doesn't have to be "considerate" towards the manga. It's their job to make the main pokemon games however they feel like. GF wants 2 rivals in the games? Boom, Cheren and Belle, it's that simple. Why should they change the main games just because they don't click with the manga's "2 player characters + a rival" convention? Do you want GF to stop everything they're doing just so they can fix a relatively minor problem for something they have no creative control over? Yeah, I didn't think so.

The manga doesn't influence the games, it only uses them as a base. Kusaka will just have to find a way around it, which we all know he will considering the past Special arcs. It doesn't matter if he has to drop a character or make a new one, it will still work out. There's nothing to complain at GameFreak for.

Who says the manga's expected to follow anything? GameFreak just allows the manga to use its characters, pokemon and locations. After that that's where GF's influence ends and Kusaka's creative control kicks in. The mangas (not just Special but all of the pokemon mangas out there) have proven time and time again that they can do whatever they feel like with GameFreak's base characters, etc. For example, did you honestly think that the game's Pryce would turn out to be Mask of Ice in the manga? Or that the Yellow and Emerald arcs would even exist? The manga's storyline can be anything it wants to be and GameFreak has nothing to do with it besides sitting back and enjoying the delicious free advertising the manga gives them.

I completely agree with your post… I just don't see the necessity in having a second rival from the start… it seems to me like the factor of having a single childhood rival adds to the expectations and to the 'rivalry' factor you have with him, and honestly, you can have as many matches against one rival than against two…

I understand that PokéSpe is in no way a priority to GF, but it is something that a lot of people look forward to, people like you and me, who (I'm assuming, since it's only natural) hate the anime but still want to experience the Pokémon world in means other than the games. And personally, I hate what happened to Wally and the existence of Yellow, so although I greatly support Kusaka's work, I;m not entirely confident on whether his decision will be the best (hope I didn't just jynx it :\)

And regarding the last tidbit about the manga not being expected to follow anything, you have to remember that Toriyama said that the manga was the closest thing to his initial concept of Pokémon. Pretty big expectations when you make fame off of following a separate storyline so closely. Not to mention that there will be manga-readers who are Bel or Cheren fans and don't want to see their 'favorite' characters being relegated to Wally-status… manga is all about ratings after all.

So in summary,
    • No, PokéSpe is not a big deal to GF… thus they didn't give two shits about it and do whatever they feel like with the storyline… whether sensible or otherwise.
    • Kusaka is an amazing mangaka who's done wonders with the concept of Pokémon, however, his OCs are less than satisfactory.
    • And while the manga is not quote-on-quote expected to follow the game's storyline completely, it is expected by readers to a certain extent.
    • Lastly, yes, I did see Pryce being Mask of Ice coming… Kusaka pretty much telegraphed it from the pretty early on. :\

I thought that the version-exclusive locations were White Castle and Black Fortress…?
    But I agree with SuperLink in that I feel like Black and White will simply separate and face different trials here.

And I really doubt there won't be a third version, Idiot! (…well THAT was funny to type xD)

Back