• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke Island (SE)

Years
    I've been holding out on commenting until I could quote that guy in Mother3 with the traveling cart. But then I realized that it was silly and I was jsut being lazy, so I'll paraphrase: You guys are amazing. Seriously. The gods are watching over you. We're behind you 100%, supporting you every step of the way.

...Okay, so maybe it loses something.

Anyway, here's the point: this project is amazing, and I'm a spriter, and I would like to help in whatever way I can. Should I PM you?

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Alright, today is the day I start work on that menu. Granted, for now my main focus is still on my games, but I don't want to sit by and not do ANYTHING to help in the meantime. I'll edit this post later with info on how it all went.

Edit: Ah, discovered something already. You know your Raticate sprite? On the diagonal up/right walking animation, one of the tiles has a white background. Not a big issue, but thought you might want to know. Pic explains it all :P

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    ZephyrPlusle, you can if you want (PM, that is), but email is probably best. I think it's in my profile. At any rate, I'll need a sample of whatever work you've done so I have some idea of your skill level.

Not that making Mother-like sprites is hard, per se, but if it's hard to adapt to styles, that's what I think trips some people up. Seeing as you probably played the third game already, I think you have an idea what I'm going for.

How'd you like it (Mother 3), by the way?

ed: Actually, my email isn't. Er, yeah send me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Perp - Hum. Well, considering I'd have to redo all sprites anyway (to separate actions), just hold onto that for a sec. I have a portfolio review today and a class where I gotta do concept art for our project, but tomorrow, considering today's my last day of school for a while, you'll probably get a lot of NPCs over email just to get them out the way. You don't have to use all of them, it's just getting them into usable format now instead of later.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Fair enough. It's not an issue to me, I just wanted to point it out so it didn't somehow slip into the finished version as it was. As for today, I did about 5 lines of code before I got a call from a friend who wanted me to come over to his place for like a farewell party, so that kind of ended my work there.

Still, I've picked me up a tutorial and hopefully I can get a hold of Waudby to give me a few pro-tips before I mess everything up and have to start over :P
    It also occurs to me that I have to rip the individual menu icons out of that bmp you gave me, so that's next on the list, I guess. With the font, you're going to need to import that somehow, because I don't know any easy ways to replicate it.

Bedtime now, I'll add more later

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Oh, actually I probably should've said that you'd get the sprites on Saturday, because our times are different. Or am I the one ahead? I... I don't know! @_@ I'll try not to think about it too much. The point it you'll probably be in bed while I'm doing it. So rather, it was tomorrow for me.

I'm gonna stop assuming you can just import anything straight as is with this program, seems everything needs conversion (except the map, strangely).

Also, the font I was aware would need importing, not being drawn out. I have the font (Orange Kid), but I was just saying the Poke symbol either has to be a graphic or I have to learn how to make a font, which must not be all that hard if many are made near daily (if not daily). Plus, it's merely modifying an existing font to fix the V, W, $ and add a Poke sign (not that I need the $, but it just urks me in type).

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Yeah, I'm ahead of you as far as time goes, but it's not even Satur- ok technically it is NOW, but it's 1AM Saturday morning. I think if you were to do the sprites it'd be done Saturday evening or even Sunday morning for me, but that's fine.

Monday is my mum's birthday, so again things will go on hold from there probably until after Christmas. We'll have to see...

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2014
    This games looks really good, and I'm really excited for it since I'm both a Mother and Pokemon fanatic.

I have two OT questions though. After checking out your site I read the info on stuff like Poke Tales and whatnot I would like to know are they actually cartoons you've made and are they available to the public?

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Thanks! Hopefully it shall be good.

But to answer your questions, firstly, no it is not a cartoon. I wanted it to be a cartoon but that's unrealistic (even moreso back then than before Shining Star Kirby was conceptualized where I had the skill, but not the time or patience). I very much treated it as if it were a cartoon, though, with "Who's that Pokemon"s, a mock opening and ending, a title card (where Ash reads off the title in a normal episode of the anime) and a Poke Rap. And in my head, I'd imagine a lot of the first season anime's BGM playing in the background*.

However, this was all on paper. Nevertheless, I held it to the standard of the show itself (when it was good, anyway).

Secondly, no it's not available until this gets done, because I don't want anybody skipping ahead (so to speak). Sure people got into EarthBound before MOTHER (reasonably so before ROMS), or other sequel before prequel game analogies, but I'm doing this one right.

*Heheh, which is honestly why I bought the Pocket Monsters Sound Anime Collection OST. Everytime I listen to it, I not only remember when the Pokemon anime was decent and humble, but I'm ALSO remind of Poke Tales. So it's like a double hit of nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Ok, quick update.

Started work on the menu with Waudby's help. So far, I have the scrolling back and forth between choices part complete. You can see an example here.

It might just be me, but doesn't this look a bit... small? Maybe it's just 'cause the map zoomed out automatically, but I find it a bit hard to look at.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Not necessarily, because you have to remember that a screenshot's going to appear smaller than the actual game window.

Then again, I don't know what you mean by map automatically zooming out. And I also wonder if game windows are adjustable (mine's always full screen, even though I would like a windowed version).

As for the new NPC sprites, I got some, but I'd rather have more done so I'm still holding on to that so I can just send a big zip file, That and I was out all of yesterday.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    That IS the actual game window though. I haven't shrunk the screenshot at all...

Ignore the comment about the map zooming out, I forgot that's the normal size. No rush on the sprites, got plenty to work with on the menu. However, I will need the menu font as well as the images for the menu backgrounds if you want me to complete this system properly.

Man, by the time this game is done this thread is going to have like 150 pages lol

EDIT: Update time. I've completed the menu as requested, with some minor bugs happening via the money display thingy. It'll be fixed once we get ourselves a monospaced font for it all, but until then, this'll do just fine.

Presenting...

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Don't worry, I know what program to use to do it. I can have THAT done in minute (I assume, I've never used the program). Also, turns out the font is really text size dependant, so the WV and $ are okay. Just... not at 10 point in MSPaint.

Also, I'm going to move the Gamma symbol to the actual Gamma spot, as it's been put in delta for some reason. And I'll put "Poke" somewhere arbitrary but close to the top of the character map.

As for menu screen stuff, I can make icons for the characters (not that I have to make anything new), and I guess after that it's just the display window itself, which I'd have to look at again. That changes with customability, right? As always, I just use plain so I don't know if the BG color of the M3 menu changes. If that's true, I really don't have to give you a colored BG. Maybe swatches...

Oh, and that being the case about window size, then I guess adjust it a bit. I don't know if it has emulator like settings of normal size, 2x zoom, 3x zoom, etc.

Edit: Well, there's some good new and bad news. Good news is that I made an Orange Kid Plus, which appends the Poke symbol among others (en and em dashes if necessary, a 1/2 symbol if necessary, the 00 cents with the line underneath, and a heart symbol, since that's used quite a bit in text these days, mostly in affectionate tones. I may have done something else).

Bad news is that the demo version of Font Lab won't allow me to export the font in a useable way, so I'd have to purchase it for a serial, or *ahem* some other means. I'll say no more, but you'll get that font somehow. I'm leaving it at that.

Last edited:

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    I like the menu system, especially the money display (styled after the Mother games, I see...). It's not intrusive or anything, like some menus I've seen. I think this game could be very interesting even though some of us out there are garbage at the Mother series *coughs*.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Just a notice, I'm down to 4 musicians again, and I'm going to assume it'll really be 3.

So out of 5 different people, only one song. Kinda... sad.

So I'll update my standing of what I could use right now back to someone good with Javascript, spriters, AND a musician who can produce quality stuff.

Don't make me turn to Malaysia, peeps... is what I would say if I had some authority. =P

One thing's for certain. If I find a good musician who can work with vocal/vox manipulation/usage, I'm totally going for my most important song first. I can't keep playing around with it, it's gotta be made.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    You know what? You should so totally have an intro with your voice going "Ok desu ka?" to everything the player gets asked XD

Anyway, what you're getting is really to be expected from free help. Nobody prioritizes it...

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Oh, I'm pretty sure I will. That'd be pretty cool. But as for the help thing, I'm well aware. It's just that the numbers seem a bit strange. I mean, I would've at least thought 2 songs out of five people. It's the whole back out before they ever start thing.

This is why I usually try to get new people to do what I need most first, because from my experience, a person is usually good and willing for one shot. I think that's true for most projects.

Hence why I had one spriter just do Charizard, since he was good at big bad pokemon and Charizard's not necessarily a Pokemon I jump up and down for when I think about him. It was the only spriteset he made, but I'll tell you I'm glad he did, it was quality work and I didn't have to do it!

So yeah, I was pretty aware how this goes even before I started this project. I just found the musician to actual music ratio strange is all.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Well, despite all the setbacks, you've managed to scrape together a whole lot more help than I've ever managed to get for my own projects, so kudos for that. It may just be that the whole Christmas thing has slowed down all your musicians, and they may pick it all back up once the new year has started.

After all, Christmas is indeed a busy time.

Edit: I got your email but... I don't think that's how you make a font for Sphere. Apparently Sphere has its own system for it, which means something has to be done differently.

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    What? Oh come on, that doesn't even make sense.

I see checking the wiki they use something with the extension .rfn (or something similar). Why can't it be normal and just import a font? Well, fine I'll look into that, but for this editor to allow so much graphic freedom in one aspect, not being intuitive with something as basic as font is laughable.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Well there's not exactly a big explanation on how to make the font either. Meh, oh well...

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Wait, it IS that easy.

File > Import > Windows Font to Sphere Font.

From here, you would choose Orange Kid Plus (which of course would have to be installed) from you personal font list. However, you also get to choose other options like normal, bold, italics, font size... pretty much the same window you'd get in MS Word. If you've used MS Word. The only difference is that the type you import is unchangable, although you CAN make more than one file.

So this means, you could, in theory, make an OKP font italic and 24pt size, which you would then name it something like superEmphasis(.rfn). This font image can't be changed so you couldn't go back to make it 12 point normal. However, you could create another at just 12pt normal and call it gameText(.rfn), and you'd have the game's standard text.

Now, I only need to make the standard. Emphasis in speech would be stressed by all caps. But I'm just saying one could get happy and make a .rfn file for every different combination imaginable. And probably bog down the game in the process.

I'm not sure which text size is best. 10-14pt should be the range. I don't remember if game text is generally larger than text you read in a document or on something like this message board but I would assume as much. At any rate, I'll get this over to you. However, I just explained the process in case you want to make a font, too.

Back